Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No over the air channels on TV

We had the opportunity to get our "new to us" 2007 Adventurer out for our first trip and we could not get any OTA channels on our TV. The light comes on when I press the TV/ANT power button. I can also get the menu for the converter box on the TV and was able to scan for channels. When I scan for channels I do not get any and when I select Antenna on the converter box menu it shows it is receiving no signal. Our friends a few camp sites over had no problem getting channels so I know there were channels available.

I ran a cable from the roof antenna into the converter box with the same results so it seems that either the antenna head or the converter box are bad. Does anybody have experience with either of these going bad? Since I can get the converter box menu on the TV I feel it is most likely working. Besides buying an of the shelf antenna at Walmart to test with am I missing any trouble shooting step?

One other thing to note, is that I was unable to tune any radio stations on the external radio. I would scan both AM and FM bands and could get nothing. Not that this has anything to do with the TV issue but I thought I would mention it. I could however get plenty of channels on the dash radio so it would seem the dash radio and the exterior radio do not use the same antenna?

Any ideas of suggestions would be welcome.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

So I wanted to report back on my finding. It turns out the converter box was bad. It seems like such a simple device so I though no much could go wrong with it. I purchased a new one and connected it up and was able to get a few open air stations. So at least I know the antenna is working although it's on the list to get replaced.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the followup post; that might help another RVer!
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Your next project can be to replace the TV with a flat screen LCD TV, no converter, lighter weight, better picture, etc. All in all, not a difficult project and relatively inexpensive given the current TV prices. If you use an articulating mount it can be swiveled to improve the viewing angle.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Have no idea and may be a shot in the dark but as I do not know that year but there are some which have a switch, really well hidden on a box and it turns the power onto the TV so that the antenna amp is powered. On my 2017 Thor it was on a switch plate located in a cabinet over the door and on the far side. With only a small led to let me know it was on. Really a headache to find and Thor was far less than helpful. One of the main reasons I now have a 2015 Winnebago was the way I was treated and the mess of wiring I found while looking!
Some things to check, do you have an amp for the TV antenna which might not be turned on? Might be located near some other item like a CD dvr player.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

IN 2007, they still used the B O M B (Box Of Many Buttons). In that device is an amplifier for the TV signal, and it then splits and directs the amplified signal from the antenna to (usually) three sources. I don't know how many times I've left it selected to "Cable" and had been unable to locate any stations when scanning. After pushing the "Ant" button, all is well.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
IN 2007, they still used the B O M B (Box Of Many Buttons). In that device is an amplifier for the TV signal, and it then splits and directs the amplified signal from the antenna to (usually) three sources. I don't know how many times I've left it selected to "Cable" and had been unable to locate any stations when scanning. After pushing the "Ant" button, all is well.
Yeah, it's all pretty outdated technology. Sometime, when I get around to it and have everything else taken care of, I think I'll install a more modern AV receiver.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Yeah, it's all pretty outdated technology. Sometime, when I get around to it and have everything else taken care of, I think I'll install a more modern AV receiver.
Well, a receiver won't do much for you - the BOMB is just a device to route the inputs to the TV's installed in the coach, or one outside if you use those ports. While it isn't very technologically advanced, it still serves its purpose to direct different inputs to different devices. Unless you rewire your coach for HDMI cabling, it may still be your best (although with lowest fidelity) option to send an OTA antenna signal to different TV sets, or to route a signal from a device such as a VCR to the rear or outdoor TV.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I only have one TV, no bedroom or outside TV for us. The receiver will let us choose between antenna, cable, DVD or Roku and will drive external speakers, link to Bluetooth, be remote controlled, etc. I forgot to mention, the original amplifier in my MH is dead as well.

When and if I get around to it, only time will tell. I have bigger, more pressing things to deal with (leaky hydraulics, shower issue, etc.). I also plan on relocating the front TV to a cabinet behind the passenger seat with an electric lift so it stows out of sight and is in a better viewing position. I'll probably wait until then.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Switch to LCD HD Smart TV

The switch to a new flat screen HD Smart TV is worth the effort.
With the new TV you will get 1080 HD resolution "over the air" channels. Most seem to be HD.
Better than that, the smart feature gives you Netflix, Amazon video, Hulu, etc., etc. These are received via the wifi of the smart TV. Some campsites block video download and the ones that allow slow down after 7pm due to heavy use. No worry, the "Hotspot" feature of your smartphone is very much faster. You need "unlimited" or a high Gigabyte limit to avoid surcharges.
You can use a USB flash drive to play your favorite TV series or movies. That requires a convertor to put the videos on the flash drive from a computer.

If you or anyone else decides to do the swap, be careful, the old Sony is very heavy. Carry from the screen side, where all the weight is.

Obviously, on the new one, get the largest screen size possible. I was able to squeeze a 40" between the cabinet doors in the front of our 2007 Adventurer 35A.
Last, but certainly not least, the TV location should be in front of you while viewing. We have to extend our couch and lay down with feet toward the windshield and with pillows in back to be comfortable and it is. Having to look to the side will not work for long.

Got long winded and off topic, but wanted to share.
Good luck,
Richard
Old 11-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

One nice thing about flat screens is they give you more options in terms of location. Above the cockpit is a terrible location for most floorplans, hence my desire to relocate it (post #9).