Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No inside lights or panel power

Hello all.

I am currently camping right now and plugged into a 30 amp shore power. I have power to everything except for my lighting and everything on the panel next to my fridge (tank levels, water pump, water heater)

However. If I turn the motor on and run the engine I regain power to everything.

No fuses are burnt and no breakers popped.

Any idea?
Krisco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Without info on which RV you have it isn't possible to look very close but what you describe sounds like you are not getting power from the coach batteries. but when the engine is running the start and coach batteries are tied together by what is call a "mode solenoid" on some Winnebago.
The devil is often in the details but on some RV, I might want to check the coach battery charge and if that is good, check the ground cable on those batteries as that can leave the circuit open on some.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Solid point, sorry. It’s a 2018 Intent 31P
Krisco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
aa1ssradio

Sounds like your 12 vdc is out. Could be your house switch is off.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

That put it into the age group when they have stopped posting the really good info on wiring that let us chase a specific circuit and now give us far less, so we might do some random checking.
Do you have a meter to test the battery charge/voltage? That would seem to be a place to start since those things work when the engine is running, it sounds like we can move beyond breakers, fuses, as they are the same whether the power is coming from the engine alternator and start battery or from the coach batteries.

My "theory" without being able to actually see drawings of your RV, is that we can say the green line is good as the lights work when the engine is running which makes the solenoid connect the two batteries together.

But if the engine is not running and the boost switch on the dash is not pushed, the solenoid does not connect the two together, so if there is a problem with the coach battery getting or holding a charge or if the ground to that battery is not making connections to ground, power does NOT flow to the lights, etc.

Green line is good but the yellow is suspect to me. Kind of out on a limb without definite drawings but that is where I would look.
First to see the battery is charged but I would guess yes if it is not totally dead but if the ground cable is not good on both ends, the circuit is open and nothing happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoid conn.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	176649  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Sounds like your 12 vdc is out. Could be your house switch is off.
X2 for the coach battery enable/disable (salesman) switch is OFF.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, panel, power