Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2022, 04:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

No FM Radio and No TV Signal

Hello all. I'm scratching my head on this one. We just brought home our 2022 Micro Minnie 2108TB before winter. Today we got to get out camping and play with all the the new stuff. We are camping where we should have both Radio and TV signals, but we have only static on the Connexx radio and the Insignia TV will not locate digital or analog stations.
Is it possible the antennas may not be connected on the roof? I've pulled out the Connexx and found all wiring was connected. Was also able to check the coaxial cables in there also. I'm puzzled. Ive already had to take our NEW camper back to the dealer because the furnace didn't work. And now this.
JimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Jim,
My Minnie Winnie has a little button on a coaxial connector cover plate which must be switched-on to activate the TV antenna. Perhaps yours has something similar?
As far as the radio is concerned, I have no suggestion.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 05-14-2022, 07:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Like JimR says look for a wall plate with a tiny switch and a green light. After you turn this on and aim the antenna (if you have a crank up) then do a channel search. Ours finds the TV and the FM stations at the same time although we do not have the same rig as you do.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I go along with the other posts but will add one more for the coax. If the light is on, on the coax antenna face plate then you might want to check coax connections. I have found most connections behind the face plate to be loose at best. If you have splitters in your system they may also be loose.

Good luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We have the green booster button on the faceplate of the coaxial. It is on. I really think the antenna might just be low quality and I need to upgrade.
JimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Before you do that, test your booster. There should be 12 volts at the antenna measured between the center conductor and the shielding wire on the coax on the roof. Also, when you aim the antenna (if that's the type you have) keep in mid that the arrow on the crank handle is not the direction of the antenna, it is only the storage direction. When properly aimed the arms will be at right angles to the transmitter, like you are looking at the transmitter with your arms spread out.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

When I had the rotating OTA antenna from King (one you had to turn) on my last RV I could get 35+ channels at home. My Voyage 2427RB has the 360 antenna and I now only get 5 channels at home. I called King and they said to check that I had 12 volts to the head. Right, get on the roof and dismantle the antenna and reinstall water tight just to check for 12 volts, I don't think so. I was at an OTA seminar last month and found out that the 360 antennas are very weak, but easier and cheaper for the manufactures to install.
Jerry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

When dealing with TV signals that are things that most of us are not set to test and measure, I always have to go back to some basics.
First test how things work by giving them the best chance to work! For TV , that means I want to test it in a place like home where I know how many and what directions the transmit towers are located!
It really is much easier to find a signal from a tower when you KNOW there is one there as you may be able to see it! That gives you a big advantage to know that you are close enough and aiming in the right direction, so that all you have to figure out is how/where to turn the amp on and how to best adjust it! It's a lot easier to adjust something if you know something is there to adjust!

As an aid when dealing with setting up the antenna when traveling and getting to a spot where you know nothing of what TV is nearby, consider downloading one of the signal apps that show where towers are located and what channels and signal levels they are tranmitting.
Once you have an app that says the tower is some direction from you, use a compass (also an app? ) to point the antenna to that direction BEFORE beating yourself to death trying to adjust things to nothing!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio