Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HELP!!!!!
I went to the motorhome today and found that we had no elec power, Checked the power box at campground and it had power, checked the breakers and they were ok, check out the plug and it looked ok. had no batt power at frist but found that they had run down and that was why that was out started genset and that worked ok but no reg elec. can anyone point me in the right dir to try and find the trouble.

my unit is a 2000 winnie Adventurer 35U
thanks for all the help that I know i'll be getting from this group.

Mark
Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

HELP!!!!!
I went to the motorhome today and found that we had no elec power, Checked the power box at campground and it had power, checked the breakers and they were ok, check out the plug and it looked ok. had no batt power at frist but found that they had run down and that was why that was out started genset and that worked ok but no reg elec. can anyone point me in the right dir to try and find the trouble.

my unit is a 2000 winnie Adventurer 35U
thanks for all the help that I know i'll be getting from this group.

Mark
Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

First thing to check the GFCI outlets to make sure they are not tripped. Does you coach have a transfer switch that may have failed? A power surge while you were away may have fried something? Let us know if you find anything.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

I would suggest that you use a voltmeter. Check your shore power line at the coach end. If you have power there and none inside on shore power and do have inside power on genset then I would check your automatic transfer switch.
Edited to add: Please let everyone know what you find.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I would first check a/c main breaker in rv and then I would check transfer switch to see if there is a/c there going in and going out. If it is going in from shore power cable but not coming out then transfer switch is bad. If you have it both places then it may be in a/c panel or a different circuit breaker. Also check coach battery disconnect switch Good luck and let us know what you find.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

Since you have electric working properly (per your first post) on your genset then your problem most likely is your ATS or but could be the shore power cable. All this is based on your saying that all works normally on the genset.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for the reply's I was also leaning to the transfer switch and if weather allows I'll get back up to the campground this morning and start looking around in the day light.

my main trouble here is that i am a dummy when it comes to elec. so at the most i'll remove the cover on the switch and just look to see if anything looks out of wack. After that its hope I can find an rv repair shop with opening for me so I can get in and have it fixed.

anyone know any good ones ? my unit is at normandy farms campground in foxboro ma as wife and kids are just ending there work kamper season there. boy it was coming home on nov 1st and we were going to send it out for its checkup and this had to happen now.

well thanks again all
Mark
Old 10-11-2007, 11:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Mark,

Do you have a SurgeGuard or other type of power protection installed on your shore power cord? It could be defective or it could be something as simple as male plug on the cord end has died.

If you are not getting power at the end of the cord inside your transfer switch then the problem is between the transfer switch and the male plug on the cord.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Mark,
Before you take the cover off the transfer switch, turn the screwdriver around and give the cover of the transfer switch a couple of whacks with the handle of the screwdriver. That will often free up a stuck contact and provide a temporary fix till you can get the switch replaced. Good luck...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

well the rain has stop here so now I am on my way to radio shack to get a multi tester and see if I can fix this head ach. I'll let all of you what the out come is to this later on today thanks again for the help in pointing me at some of the things to try and to look for.

mark
Old 10-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #11
KIX
Winnebago Master

Mark Bento, If you're going to check out the ATS make cetain there is no electric connected or running including genset and inverter. Perhaps a local electrician would be willing to make a safe temporary bypass for shore power around the ATS. That would leave the genset out of the picture but could get you through a couple of weeks.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Well after 20 min of me checking the system on the unit I found nothing wrong with it at all. so I took our 20 amp plug and put it on the 30 amp cord for the rig and plug it into the power post of the campground it worked, tok the 20 amp plug off and plug back into the 30 amp side noting. Call the parks electrion and he told me I was nuts till he did the same thing and it work for him.
It turned out that with all the rain that we have had here there meter it self had shorted out on just the 30 amp side when he took the meter off of the post the whole thing on the inside fell apart and was all melted. he could not back step fast anought on me bing nuts.

45 min later and a brand new meter wires sockets etc we were back up and running just like before. the odd thing about this was that if you put one of the led testers on the 30 amp side it gave you the system was ok and working but when you tried to use it it was not.

oh well at least it was not my bill or money out of my pocket and no damage was done to our rig by this so wife is happy she can go back up to camp ground to day and know that she will have all her toys working.

Thanks again to all of you that help me find the fix to this one.

Mark
Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

problem fixed it was there meter it self to had cooked the 30 amp side but not to the point that the led tester would find it you had to remove the meter to find it.

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me with out it I would not have found this and would have sent my motorhome out for a repair that it did not need,

thanks again

Mark
Old 10-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Mark, Glad to hear it's all good. now go watch the Sox Game.....

01 adventurer 35U
tun75 is offline   Reply With Quote