Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2005, 05:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I had my MH in storage for 2 months took it out and ran the 2 old 12 volts battery's down to nothing over night running the furnace. I went out and replaced the 2 12 volt batteries with 2 brand new Trojan T125 6 volt batteries. Hooked them up and plugged in the MH to my house (Yes I hooked them up in series). That was 8 hrs ago, I went out this morning and unplugged the MH, the propane detector's Low voltage warning beeper sounded for about 20 secs and then went off. There is no power at all coming from the batteries. No lights, and if I hit the test button on the monitor panel, nothing lights up.

When the MH is Plugged in everything works fine, lights and all 12 v and 120 v. and when I hit the test button on the monitor the charge/battery indicator lights read full.

I have a MagneTek/Parallax Power model 7400 rated at 45 amps, as far as I know this is the stock converter/charger.

The 6 volt batteries were not charged when I put them in. I checked all the 12 volt breakers and they are all ok.

The converters working or else I wouldn't have lights, is the charger portion not working? I'm at a lost right now anyone have any ideas?
Any help would be most welcome.

I have a 2001 Itasca 30W

Thanks

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had my MH in storage for 2 months took it out and ran the 2 old 12 volts battery's down to nothing over night running the furnace. I went out and replaced the 2 12 volt batteries with 2 brand new Trojan T125 6 volt batteries. Hooked them up and plugged in the MH to my house (Yes I hooked them up in series). That was 8 hrs ago, I went out this morning and unplugged the MH, the propane detector's Low voltage warning beeper sounded for about 20 secs and then went off. There is no power at all coming from the batteries. No lights, and if I hit the test button on the monitor panel, nothing lights up.

When the MH is Plugged in everything works fine, lights and all 12 v and 120 v. and when I hit the test button on the monitor the charge/battery indicator lights read full.

I have a MagneTek/Parallax Power model 7400 rated at 45 amps, as far as I know this is the stock converter/charger.

The 6 volt batteries were not charged when I put them in. I checked all the 12 volt breakers and they are all ok.

The converters working or else I wouldn't have lights, is the charger portion not working? I'm at a lost right now anyone have any ideas?
Any help would be most welcome.

I have a 2001 Itasca 30W

Thanks

Seattle, WA
Old 11-10-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

rvcarpenter, just a thought....
Although you were plugged into shore power, did you turn "on" the coach power switch last night? If the coach power switch was "off", the batteries were isolated and your converter would make 12vdc, but it would not be going to charge the batteries.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You know I don't think I turned it on last night. I'm assuming you mean the battery on/off switch located by the steps.

Seattle, WA
Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Bingo! You got it. If the switch isn't on, you'll never get a charge from the house converter.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks..looks like I had a visit from SUE... (Stupid User Error).......

Seattle, WA
Old 11-12-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

NO Luck with that, turned switch on and it's been plugged in for 2 and 1/2 days now and still now power from the batterys..

Seattle, WA
Old 11-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you can, unplug the converter and then use a voltmeter to check the DC voltage at the battery terminals and elsewhere in the RV. A fully charged 12V battery should produce about 12.6 volts. Below about 11 volts many 12V devices won't function at all, but lights will still glow feebly.

I can think of several possibilities offhand (forgive me if some of them seem to imply more SUE): (1) the cables to the battery terminals are reversed (2) one of the wires to the batteries is not making good contact to the terminal (3) a battery cable is broken inside the insulation (4) the two batteries are not properly wired for "series" (5) the charger portion of the converter isn't operating.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

RV Roamer
Thanks for the sugestions, I checked the cables just now and they're correctly connected. I disconnect both and clean them and tighen them back up. Checked my "series" wiring with a book.

I also check my Battery's volage I got a reading of 13.0 volts (mh not plugged in)

I'll check and see if a cable is broken, any way I check to see if the charger portion of the converter is operating?

Thanks again.

Seattle, WA
Old 11-13-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Fixed!!!!

In my wanders I opened the dash board Pod and looked at the fuse box up there and saw a breaker right next to the fuse box and it was tripped. Reset it and everythign works fine now. Should have looked for the simple thing earlier. At least I didn't go out and buy anything.

Thank for all your help.

Seattle, WA
Old 11-14-2005, 08:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

RVcarpenter, you just had a learning experience! We all have them and that is just how most of us know the things that we have learned! Welcome to the learn by doing club!