Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2005, 05:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 195
I had my MH in storage for 2 months took it out and ran the 2 old 12 volts battery's down to nothing over night running the furnace. I went out and replaced the 2 12 volt batteries with 2 brand new Trojan T125 6 volt batteries. Hooked them up and plugged in the MH to my house (Yes I hooked them up in series). That was 8 hrs ago, I went out this morning and unplugged the MH, the propane detector's Low voltage warning beeper sounded for about 20 secs and then went off. There is no power at all coming from the batteries. No lights, and if I hit the test button on the monitor panel, nothing lights up.

When the MH is Plugged in everything works fine, lights and all 12 v and 120 v. and when I hit the test button on the monitor the charge/battery indicator lights read full.

I have a MagneTek/Parallax Power model 7400 rated at 45 amps, as far as I know this is the stock converter/charger.

The 6 volt batteries were not charged when I put them in. I checked all the 12 volt breakers and they are all ok.

The converters working or else I wouldn't have lights, is the charger portion not working? I'm at a lost right now anyone have any ideas?
Any help would be most welcome.

I have a 2001 Itasca 30W

Thanks
__________________
rvcarpenter

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 195
I had my MH in storage for 2 months took it out and ran the 2 old 12 volts battery's down to nothing over night running the furnace. I went out and replaced the 2 12 volt batteries with 2 brand new Trojan T125 6 volt batteries. Hooked them up and plugged in the MH to my house (Yes I hooked them up in series). That was 8 hrs ago, I went out this morning and unplugged the MH, the propane detector's Low voltage warning beeper sounded for about 20 secs and then went off. There is no power at all coming from the batteries. No lights, and if I hit the test button on the monitor panel, nothing lights up.

When the MH is Plugged in everything works fine, lights and all 12 v and 120 v. and when I hit the test button on the monitor the charge/battery indicator lights read full.

I have a MagneTek/Parallax Power model 7400 rated at 45 amps, as far as I know this is the stock converter/charger.

The 6 volt batteries were not charged when I put them in. I checked all the 12 volt breakers and they are all ok.

The converters working or else I wouldn't have lights, is the charger portion not working? I'm at a lost right now anyone have any ideas?
Any help would be most welcome.

I have a 2001 Itasca 30W

Thanks
__________________
rvcarpenter

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise
 
troth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 387
rvcarpenter, just a thought....
Although you were plugged into shore power, did you turn "on" the coach power switch last night? If the coach power switch was "off", the batteries were isolated and your converter would make 12vdc, but it would not be going to charge the batteries.
__________________
Last Brave 2004 34D
troth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 195
You know I don't think I turned it on last night. I'm assuming you mean the battery on/off switch located by the steps.
__________________
rvcarpenter

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise
 
troth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 387
Bingo! You got it. If the switch isn't on, you'll never get a charge from the house converter.
__________________
Last Brave 2004 34D
troth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 195
Thanks..looks like I had a visit from SUE... (Stupid User Error).......
__________________
rvcarpenter

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 195
NO Luck with that, turned switch on and it's been plugged in for 2 and 1/2 days now and still now power from the batterys..
__________________
rvcarpenter

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 51
If you can, unplug the converter and then use a voltmeter to check the DC voltage at the battery terminals and elsewhere in the RV. A fully charged 12V battery should produce about 12.6 volts. Below about 11 volts many 12V devices won't function at all, but lights will still glow feebly.

I can think of several possibilities offhand (forgive me if some of them seem to imply more SUE): (1) the cables to the battery terminals are reversed (2) one of the wires to the batteries is not making good contact to the terminal (3) a battery cable is broken inside the insulation (4) the two batteries are not properly wired for "series" (5) the charger portion of the converter isn't operating.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 195
RV Roamer
Thanks for the sugestions, I checked the cables just now and they're correctly connected. I disconnect both and clean them and tighen them back up. Checked my "series" wiring with a book.

I also check my Battery's volage I got a reading of 13.0 volts (mh not plugged in)

I'll check and see if a cable is broken, any way I check to see if the charger portion of the converter is operating?

Thanks again.
__________________
rvcarpenter

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 195
Fixed!!!!

In my wanders I opened the dash board Pod and looked at the fuse box up there and saw a breaker right next to the fuse box and it was tripped. Reset it and everythign works fine now. Should have looked for the simple thing earlier. At least I didn't go out and buy anything.


Thank for all your help.
__________________
rvcarpenter

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher
 
Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Livingston, Tx., US
Posts: 2
RVcarpenter, you just had a learning experience! We all have them and that is just how most of us know the things that we have learned! Welcome to the learn by doing club!
__________________
Good travelin! ......Kirk
URL: www.1tree.net/adventure/
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Problems/Battery Test In Situ? jrpend Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 10 04-26-2016 02:42 PM
Chassis battery issue/Battery boost Ranger Rick Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 8 02-21-2012 10:21 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×