Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

No Battery Power

I am a newby to this forum and 100% VA disabled and terminally ill. We recently traded our FR Forester for a smaller Minnie Winnie that my wife can handle alone so that she can continue camping after I have passed. It is a 2017 model. Today, we went out to start the engine and run the generator. We keep it plugged into 30 amp shore power. The engine started but the generator would not after plugging it in. Also, no 12 volt systems (house lights, etc.) will work off of battery power, but work fine on shore power. The batteries test out to about 14 volts and seem to be ok. It is still under warranty, so we can get it repaired. I am frustrated because I am not healthy enough to properly troubleshoot. I believe it is a converter issue and may be a simple fix. Any ideas or advice? Never had electrical problems with my last two rvs.
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have you checked your house battery disconnect switch? It should be located somewhere near your entry door. Forgetting or not even knowing about it is a common newbie mistake. Here's an excerpt from the 2017 manual:

HOUSE/COACH BATTERY
DISCONNECT SWITCH
(COACH BATT)
The House/Coach Battery Disconnect switch
lets you disconnect the house batteries from the
12-volt system of your coach during storage
periods to avoid battery drain by electrical items
that are hooked directly to the house batteries,
such as clock displays and radio memories, etc.
Always leave this switch ON while using the
coach.

Note: This is commonly referred to on this and other forums as the "salesman's switch".
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I don't know about other models/years but in addition to the house disconnect switch on the dash, my '97 Adventurer also has a 40A breaker for the house power (next to the chassis fuse block) which then feeds the house breaker panel.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power