Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have 30 amp hook up here at home. No power getting into coach. Hooked to a 20 amp source still no luck. Surge Guard seems to be doing what it is supposed to do. At the one place the indicator says 50 amps when I start the Generator it switches to GenSet and everything works fine. When I cut it off goes to 50 amps and doesn't move any lower by adjusting it. Get 115 by using inverter, but the bottom indicator does not indicate ac in except when on Generator. Capt. Bill seems to think its the transfer switch and said that there was a relay in there but when I removed the cover I couldn't see it unless its behind a divider. Banged on the box and nothing happens except the above. The Surge Guard functions as advertised when hooked to ac and checked all the breakers I know about at the foot of the bed and they all seem to be ok. Capt Bill is putting his money on the transfer box any other ideas??? Help!!! supposed to leave town Thursday AM, I'll be at my dealers bright and early tomarrow AM. Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have 30 amp hook up here at home. No power getting into coach. Hooked to a 20 amp source still no luck. Surge Guard seems to be doing what it is supposed to do. At the one place the indicator says 50 amps when I start the Generator it switches to GenSet and everything works fine. When I cut it off goes to 50 amps and doesn't move any lower by adjusting it. Get 115 by using inverter, but the bottom indicator does not indicate ac in except when on Generator. Capt. Bill seems to think its the transfer switch and said that there was a relay in there but when I removed the cover I couldn't see it unless its behind a divider. Banged on the box and nothing happens except the above. The Surge Guard functions as advertised when hooked to ac and checked all the breakers I know about at the foot of the bed and they all seem to be ok. Capt Bill is putting his money on the transfer box any other ideas??? Help!!! supposed to leave town Thursday AM, I'll be at my dealers bright and early tomarrow AM. Thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi ichy,

Got to agree with Capt. Bill. If it works on generator, then the problem almost has to be somewhere from the transfer switch back to the shoreline plug. Everything from the transfer switch on in is common to both shore power and gen power.

That leaves the switch, the Surge Guard, the power cord, and the plug. You didn't mention where the Surge Guard is wired in. Some put it on the shoreline side of the xfer switch and some put it inboard of the xfer switch to also protect against bad gennie power. If it's inboard of the xfer switch, then it's got to be OK.

There's not many variables involved, so your dealer should be able to find and correct the problem easily.

Enjoy you trip!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the reply Tomsm, the Surge Guard is before the xfer switch and is hard wired. I know the 20 amp is a good 115 Ac at this time can't vouch for the 30 amp. Good Miles
Old 05-18-2005, 01:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Have you tried the override switch (or whatever it's called) on the Surge Guard? That's the switch with the key on the SG. If you're not getting any bad indication on the SG, it probably won't help, but it eliminates one possibility.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Gentlemen, no one wins the cigar this time. But it was something simple, the dealer found a loose wire on the load side of the Surge Guard. As you all told me it had to be something simple if everything worked off the genny. Thanks again for your help and since its fixed we will be on our merry way in the AM. Good Miles
Old 05-18-2005, 02:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Jim - I think Tom is correct if your coach is wired like a 2005 S-Series Horizon (aka 40AD). I looked at the wiring diagram and according to your symptoms, it almost has to be between the transfer switch and the power coming into the coach. Let us know what it turns out to be.

--John

**EDIT**

Heck no - cigars to Tom - he thought it was transfer switch back to shore power! Glad it was something simple!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:14 AM   #8

Hey Ichy,

Does this mean your finally leaving the driveway?
Glade it was a simple fix, you had me worried.

Safe travels.

Tomcat F15
Old 05-18-2005, 05:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Rich, you are one of the ones I almost called last nite..John thanks for your concern.

Whatta ya think about a Dealer I can see at 6AM
and have it fixed and back home at 7AM.

Rich ,, be nice please?

Thanks for all your well wishes
Old 05-18-2005, 05:44 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Whatta ya think about a Dealer I can see at 6AM
and have it fixed and back home at 7AM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm awestruck! Wish I could have that here in NE Ohio.