Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No 12v to gen

I’m having an issue with my generator
I have a 2015 Winnebago Vista 31ke.
I tried to start the generator for its monthly run. It cranked twice (it typical). During the third try it cranked and the I lost the 12v.
I’ve checked the voltage with my multimeter an it’s showing 13v at all fuse junctions. All fuses in the battery box are also good. All connections have been cleaned and still no power.
I’ve checked the starter Solenoid and there is no power.
Any ideas where more fuses might be hidden or what I’m missing.

Thanks Chris.
Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yessir, I do happen to have a passing idea on that one!
We just lived off the power it was putting out and I did have to do a bit of looking at it at one point when I pushed it too hard to try to feed more things in my house than it liked!

A couple points to review is how you were trying to start as any engine starts best if we give it the best power we can, so I always try to start the RV engine first as that does lots of good things for the genset starting. When it's cold and I assume it may take longer cranking to start, having the Rv engine running lets the mode solenoid connect both battery strings together as well as lets the engine alternator push power to them, so you get a team of three providing power!

But then if it fails to crank, there may also be some cable chasing to do. This list will help ID which cable as they put different colors of tape at the ends to help ID where they go.

It sounds like you have already got a good handle on the issue but I might mention two things that are easy to overlook.

One is that there is a breaker on the genset, kind of hidden but I also think it is not on the cranking part but on the output so just something to know and file away, perhaps.

Second is that there are super big fuses under the plastic caps that might just look like a cover and one could be blown. The one I got a picture of is just behind the passenger side front wheel and there are some in the battery box. This one has blue tape to show it is for the jacks and not likely to be involved with what you need.

Beyond that, I have only seen the genset cable looks to go back to the frame rail to get to the front, but I've never chased it. Perhaps one of these big fuses along the path?

There is one big fuse which I have not got an ID on which might need checked but it is behind the breakers on the drivers side and near impossible to get to without taking the breakers loose to get behind them.

Click the schematic drawing to read it better but it does show a fuse and it is located next to the disconnect relay where I also see a fuse on the parts drawings. Does that mean it is the same fuse? "MAYBE" ?

Red item is mode solenoid, purple is disconnect relay and the yellow?

But if you chase the cable from the back and find it going into the box there?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cable code.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	177441   Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	177442  

Name:	fuses.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	177443   Click image for larger version

Name:	gen fuse.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	177444  

Name:	genset fuse.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	177445  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Morich thanks for the information. It was spot on. I found the 125 amp fuse and replaced it. Bam the generator started right up.

Thanks again!

Chris
Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Very good. Thanks for the report as we have the same rV and now I know where that dog is---just in case!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote