Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Everyone,

We are Rick & Robin,we have a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ on an F-53 Chassis,it's our first RV, we purchased is privately Aug.2007,it had a few issues,exhaust leak,(I fixed with my nephews help)replaced altenator & batteries,and recently the fuel pump and some sensors on the engine, other than that we are happy with it.
We are going camping this weekend for the first time,we used it last fall for tailgating at PENN STATE home football games,we are taking my nephew and his family to Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster PA,we live just west of Phila.
Tires? I have them inflated at 85psi what tempature should they be after driving awhile, and how often do you check temp.? The tires were installed Oct. 2002 I read other posting about tire life 5 to 7 years, I am going to a truck tire dealer on Fri. morn to have them looked at, after the trip to the FORD dealer to fix the cruise control recall.
What about running the genny while driving to run the roof A/C ? We have a 5K Onan with 260 hours on it,changed oil when I purchased it (158 hours)and changed again this spring.
I have a surge guard with lock I willbe using.
What would I use to check volts on house batteries,(2 12volt deep cycle)I have a multi- tester, will that work?
I kown when when you are hooked up to open grey valve and not black valve 'till about 2/3 full.I have a pressure regulator for the fresh water,its 40 or 45 lbs.
I hope I wasn't to long winded,we can't wait to leave on Fi. my nephew Al and his wife Sara, have 3 kids Ruby 3 (she calls the RV "the house on wheels")Al the 5th.is 18 mos.and Domnick is 7 mos. and my younger sister Ruth is going to meet there on Sat. with her daughter,Caitlyn 7.
It should be fun.
I let you know how we made out. Thanks Rick & Robin
RobinGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Everyone,

We are Rick & Robin,we have a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ on an F-53 Chassis,it's our first RV, we purchased is privately Aug.2007,it had a few issues,exhaust leak,(I fixed with my nephews help)replaced altenator & batteries,and recently the fuel pump and some sensors on the engine, other than that we are happy with it.
We are going camping this weekend for the first time,we used it last fall for tailgating at PENN STATE home football games,we are taking my nephew and his family to Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster PA,we live just west of Phila.
Tires? I have them inflated at 85psi what tempature should they be after driving awhile, and how often do you check temp.? The tires were installed Oct. 2002 I read other posting about tire life 5 to 7 years, I am going to a truck tire dealer on Fri. morn to have them looked at, after the trip to the FORD dealer to fix the cruise control recall.
What about running the genny while driving to run the roof A/C ? We have a 5K Onan with 260 hours on it,changed oil when I purchased it (158 hours)and changed again this spring.
I have a surge guard with lock I willbe using.
What would I use to check volts on house batteries,(2 12volt deep cycle)I have a multi- tester, will that work?
I kown when when you are hooked up to open grey valve and not black valve 'till about 2/3 full.I have a pressure regulator for the fresh water,its 40 or 45 lbs.
I hope I wasn't to long winded,we can't wait to leave on Fi. my nephew Al and his wife Sara, have 3 kids Ruby 3 (she calls the RV "the house on wheels")Al the 5th.is 18 mos.and Domnick is 7 mos. and my younger sister Ruth is going to meet there on Sat. with her daughter,Caitlyn 7.
It should be fun.
I let you know how we made out. Thanks Rick & Robin
Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

Welcomed tothe forum Rick and Robin. Lots of experienced contributors on here. I'll try to answer some of your questions.
Tires: Be prepared to buy some new tires. You may want to check the DOT date of manufacture of the tires. As far as correct air pressure goes you should have the coach weighed... preferrably 4 corners but at least weigh axles separately. then go to tire makers inflation tables nthe i-net for correct psi.
Genset: run it wherever you can and it will last longer and be more reliable. Run it at least 1 hour monthly under at least 75% load. Ok to run while underway EXCEPT when refueling.
Battery test: Multimeter ok. set to DC volts. While charging they should read arond 13.5 volts adn around 12.5 about 1 hour after charging.
Black/grey valves: When connected ok to leave gray open. When black around 2/3 or more close gray valve and open black. Back flush glack tank to be certain all waste is out. Close black and reopen gray. There are clear sections taht can connect between moho and sewer hose with a built in hose connection for back flushing. Also, it's good for seeing when all waste is out of tank.
Water pressure: The small in-ine pressure regulators are preset at 40 psi. Problem is they restrict water flow. If this bothers you then get a full flow water regulator.
have fun and enjoy the coach.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what tempature should they be after driving awhile, and how often do you check temp.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rick & Robin

Kix gave you some good answers there. On tire temp, I check mine every time I stop for any reason -- I use an infrared thermometer from Radio Shack. I don't worry what the temp is. What I look for is a tire that is significantly hotter than it's mate running in a similar position. Inside dual is normally a bit warmer than outside, sunny side warmer than shady side.

Enjoy the coach!!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Welcome Rick and Robin

Good advice above. I have a suggestion - if possible spend at least one night (two is better) on the coach while it is in your driveway and go through all of the motions of living in it. Prepare the meals there, eat there, sleep there, go through your morning routine, etc.

Even though we take our coach out two or three times a year sometimes for two or three months at a time, we always spend at least one night/day on the coach pre-trip. It's amazing how many little things you can forget.

Another tip - get a cardboard box or two and place in a conspicuous place in your house. Everything you think of something that needs to go to the coach, immediately get it and place it in the box. It is really amazing how quickly the box fills up after a couple of days.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Your answers are from the "A" team. Nothing to add, just have fun and be safe.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Rick & Robin - welcome to the forum! Great answers so far. You have a great idea in having a tire dealer check your tires - more people need to do that!

One variation you might consider on the tank valves - yes, open the grey valve when you set up, but close it off when the black tank is about half full (or the day before you plan to dump the black tank). This gives you some grey water to rinse out the hose after dumping the black.

I think most everyone runs the gennie and house A/C during the hot months. It's just asking too much of the dash air to cool that big box. Besides, it gives the gennie it's needed exercise.

Stay safe and have fun in your "house on wheels"!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:29 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Rick and Robin,

Welcome!

When you go to Dutch Wonderland, might you be staying at Old Mill Stream CG?

If so, it is a very nice place and you can walk to the park.

OMS CG has a very unique parking arrangement for the RVs in that you park parallel to the roadway.

Follow the advice above and have a great time with your "new" motorhome.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Rick & Robin;

Welcome to the forum & the Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum. You have found the friendliest site on the Internet IMHO. Post often and tells about your travel experiences.

If you would like some Winnebago Karma, just ask as it is all free.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Everybody,
We survived! and want to thank everybody for their help and advice. The first camping trip went GREAT,the kids had a great time,the campground,Old Mill Stream in Lancaster PA,very nice,friendly staff,and CLEAN,highly recomend them, they are next to Dutch Wonderland,a great park for younger kids.
No problems getting in and out of site,did fine with flushing black tank,picked up tank flusher,we sleep comfortable with 4 adults and 4 kids.
Our next trip with nices and nephews is in July to Knobles in Elysburg PA
Again thanks for the help and advice,this is a great web site. Rick & Robin
Old 06-16-2008, 04:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Glad it all worked out We've stayed at Old Mill Stream and it's a nice CG.

Now that you are experienced, you can travel with a new sense of confidence

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

If staying at old campground right at Knoebles,wonderful as you can walk back and forth to rig or ride the shuttle, be aware of your voltage, if it is low switch frige and hot water to gas.Buy a plug in voltage meter. The surge guarde won't cut off low voltage unless it is wayyyy down. We love that park, they even put in a baby changing station with a microwave down near the kids rides. Most family friendly park we have ever visited.