Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New to me 88 Winnebago Chieftain

Just bought '88 Winnebago Superchief. It's in pretty good condition for the age. The seller had little practical information and no manual so far but still experimenting with things and figuring out operations. It could use a little work (some loose areas on ceiling material, brackets, hardware) but I'm not really interested in trying to make it pristine. Just hoping to get some good use out of it for weekends and festivals.
webbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:
Good luck with your purchase.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

BTW, if anyone has had basic experience with this model I'm open to any help or ideas. So far it appears the house batteries may have limited function. I ran the generator most of the day primary to test the hot water but I think it may be LP and that's currently empty; never got hot from electric though indicator was lit. The few switches at the entry door are all labeled but one set apart that is just On or Off (thought that might be for inverter but I think that is a toggle on the dash - my indicator light doesn't work). Roof AC works but can be noisy when compressor kicks in. Looking at roof I'm sure it needs some attention arund fixtures. Need bathroom fan vent cover repaired (but will probably also install a rain cover over it).

Planning to have it looked at by either a mobile service or one of the shops identified through posts on the forum in the Jax area.

Can't wait to get the little functional issues fixed and get to try it out soon.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the forum.com ! Please post some pictures of your rig when you get a chance.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just picked up my not so new 89 Chieftain Friday, Winnebago has a bunch of manuals online, in PDF format.

A big reason why I bought the Winnebago was support, and documentation for their older unit.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/product-...ct-information
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations on the Chieftain, they are good solid units'
I have spent the last couple of days figuring out which buttons do what, and making a list of odds, and ends. Been driving mine to run errands, and such to get use to it, and get a feeling for anything it might need, and learning to trust it.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
congrats, I have a 1986, have fun, I am cleaning mine up a little
Old 01-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I washed mine yesterday. When I bought it they had not cleaned and it had grime and mildew on it. Thankfully I am a pro pressure washer and my equipment made it easy. Finished it in about 45 minutes including brushing and to cleaning/rinsing passes. Looks o much better!

Thanks to the link for the manual I can finally figure some things out. I thought I had figured out my house power since it was working after I washed it but now I am not so sure. I slept in it last night and wanted to run the fridge so I ran an extension cord from the house. But now when I disconnect the service the house lights, except for kitchen area are not working again. I can't run the fridge off of LP as it indicates a problem. Want to get it set up so that I can run quiet if I need to. I will add some pics too.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbix View Post
Just bought '88 Winnebago Superchief. It's in pretty good condition for the age. The seller had little practical information and no manual so far but still experimenting with things and figuring out operations. It could use a little work (some loose areas on ceiling material, brackets, hardware) but I'm not really interested in trying to make it pristine. Just hoping to get some good use out of it for weekends and festivals.
I had one of those for a while a few years back. Mine was in pretty bad shape when I got it, put way more into it than I had planned. But had some good times with it too. I like the layout, wish Winnebago would build a unit like it today.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I looked at a few others but the first one of these I saw (think I saw it sold on eBay and was not as represented - pics looked nearly new - from PREVIOUS seller) I liked the design. Some designs end up looking dated but this is just a classic look and similar to many new models I see. Mine is a 27 so it's loses the dinette but that is fine with me. I think I will come out okay. I paid $6300 and most everything works. As far as I can tell. Need to seal roof hardware but outside it looks okay. Hot water heater may need to be replaced and maybe a relay on the house power. Cosmetic inside there is some roof material separation but I think I can spare glue that. Looking forward to getting it out and using it!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Old 01-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Old 01-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

It's holding it's age very well
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote