Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New RVer with generator question

Hi I have a 2002 Itasca Horizon with a 7.5 Onan diesel

The problem I've discovered is:

1. Generator doesn't power the outlets or microwave and I don't know why. If anyone has suggestions on this, I would appreciate it. Microwave worked on shore power and so do the outlets, so?????
dawgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Bad auto-transfer switch, or if it's a manual transfer, you have to plug the shore power cord into the generator output outlet somewhere in the bowels of your coach. If there are any GFCI outlets in your coach, try resetting them. Sometimes they interfere with other AC power circuits.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

With my unit I have to plug the 30A cable into an outlet where the cord is stored.
MWARREN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgout View Post

1. Generator doesn't power the outlets or microwave and I don't know why. If anyone has suggestions on this, I would appreciate it. Microwave worked on shore power and so do the outlets, so?????
The Transfer switch could be the issue or the EMS if you have one. The Electrical Management System better known as the EMS will shut down non-essential appliances if in an overload situation. Does your ACs work in both applications, i.e.. shore power and generator? It could a problem with your inverter since in shore power the inverter isn't used because you're already supplying 110V to the coach via the campground but when using the generator it goes back to the inverter to change 12v over to 110V. Have you checked all your breakers? Is the generator working for 12v items?
Just a few questions to see where it brings us.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Step one is to know what RV you have and that involves what length and model as all rv are not the same. Bigger often have more things involved in the electrical. I did a quick look but there are way too many options and choices involved to try to point to one suspect without knowing what you have.
On the 32 foot, you do not plug in the power cord as mentioned. But then there are four models, so which is the right one?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hidden circuit breaker

On my gas genny there is a tiny circuit breaker on the Right side of the manual Start switch of the generator itself. It’s almost like a micro switch that must be in the forward position or you will not get any power at all from the generator. There is also a picture of it in my manual. And it’s location. I don’t know if it’s on the diesel genny or not but it’s worth a look.
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have the same problem in a minnie winnie 27q. The shore line is plugged into the outlet in the compartment. I read about thermo protection but don't know where to find that thermo relay to test it. Everything works fine on shore power, nothing works on generator. Thanks.
Sandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
I have the same problem in a minnie winnie 27q. The shore line is plugged into the outlet in the compartment. I read about thermo protection but don't know where to find that thermo relay to test it. Everything works fine on shore power, nothing works on generator. Thanks.
Again, the year, model, and length changes the answer for what is involved as each RV has it's own setup and options. sometimes there are even changes in the middle of a year and it requires the correct serial number to get down to details on how wiring works. No point in guessing that your auto transfer switch is the problem if you don't have one!
Winnebago does a good job of posting lots of wiring info online but there is little point in looking without the right info from posters.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

TonyOIB. Found the switch around the side of the start switch. Could barely see it said OFF. Apparently solved the problem. THANKS!
Sandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Hopefully you have this settled after almost a week. If not first check that both circuit breakers on the generator itself are fully on and not partially tripped. Does anything at all work on the generator? The Horizon was a Top of the Line Coach in 2002 and had a fully automatic transfer switch.

Here is the link to your operators manual found on Winnebago's web site.

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m.../02Horizon.pdf

Since they redesigned the site you can't get to the older manuals directly since they only list 2010 to the current year so you have to choose a year such as 2010, scroll down to the bottom of the page so you can select back to operator manuals index and then go through selecting the range of years, models, etc to get to your operators manual.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Since they redesigned the site you can't get to the older manuals directly since they only list 2010 to the current year so you have to choose a year such as 2010, scroll down to the bottom of the page so you can select back to operator manuals index and then go through selecting the range of years, models, etc to get to your operators manual.
Just fyi, here's a direct link: https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...tormanuals.php

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2003 Journey with the same generator.
What does your generator supply power to?
Old 09-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Here are the 110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch, Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram, and Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation diagrams for your coach.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickb46 View Post
I have a 2003 Journey with the same generator.
What does your generator supply power to?
I don't know whether you have the 2003 Journey DL 36GD or 36LD, but here are the 110V wiring diagrams for each:

36GD:
110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch
Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram
Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation
36LD:
110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch
Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram
Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation

Old 09-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

To get down to the true answer, one has to get down to the details as there are lots of options ordered by different dealers. To get hose details, it may require looking at the big folder of info which should show what options were bought on the RV you have.
If you get options like feature package 401 you may get different than if it has options package 108!
Much like buying a car, there is a long list and it does change what you get.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Just a basic step; Make sure the shore power electrical line is plugged "back into the coach" when you run the generator.
ampeteranecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

What does it even mean to "make sure the shore power electrical line is plugged "back into the coach?" Where and how do you "plug it back into the coach?"
dawgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
What does it even mean to "make sure the shore power electrical line is plugged "back into the coach?" Where and how do you "plug it back into the coach?"
Not relevant for your coach since you have an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) to switch between shore power and the generator. RVs without such a switch need to plug the shore power cord into the outlet from the generator in order to power the coach from the generator.

Tags
generator