Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New member looking for help

As a new member I read some of the replies that were helpful to other members, I hope someone can help me. I recently purchased a 1998 Winnebago Adventurer class A motorhome and on my first trip from WI to AZ I found that my cab heating and AC systems do not function properly. The cab heating system does not vary the cool temperature directed to all ports, defrosters, floor heat, mix or vent. I checked the temp select switch and the voltage does change when the knob is turned, however, I am unable to trace the electric harness to any component that would vary the water temp to the heater core. Does anyone have information on a service manual for this vintage motorhome. I found info on the P3 series engines but it was all for older models, not the 1998 model I have.

Thanks,

Larry
LDPSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

See if this helps you any

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/se...g%20&%20AC.pdf
Old 01-19-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Hi Lary and welcome to the forum.

( The cab heating system does not vary the cool temperature directed to all ports, defrosters, floor heat, mix or vent.)

Not sure what you are saying here...The indash controls for the engine/radiator heating system are pretty simplistic and as long as the radiator water is hot and flowing thru the cab heater core and the blower blows, you should have cab heat....but most of us use the whole house heater and run the generator when traveling in cold temps. The dash heater will hardly take the chill off.

If I read your dash heat problem correctly you are not receiving any heat and I would check to see if there is a heater core bypass ( inline heater hose shut off ) and make sure it is open. The hose should be quite warm to the touch if radiator is hot.
The other thing I would check to see is if the under dash vent hoses are in tact and if the heater controls are cable activated...that they are all connected. If they are electrically controlled.....Can we get a better, longer explanation of the problem?
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Larry,
your dash hvac system may be controlled by small vacuum lines that look similar to wires.
I repaired several leaks in mine by splicing with small rubber hose, 1/8" or 3/64" if memory serves.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

:welcome: I'm sure someone will help with your problem. Good luck and enjoy your coach. Safe travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi Larry! Welcome to the forum! We're sure glad you joined us!

Sorry I can't help with your problem! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Larry,
your dash hvac system may be controlled by small vacuum lines that look similar to wires.
I repaired several leaks in mine by splicing with small rubber hose, 1/8" or 3/64" if memory serves.
I second what DAN L said. We have a 2000 SunCruiser and we still repair leaks as they happen. Evidently the line get brittle and just crack. We've tried to "fix" all the places where a line might rub and wear, but as you said, it's a rats nest under the dash to figure out what goes where. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My 06 Safari has a valve in the heater hose that meters (uses all positions from full open to full close) the flow of hot water to the heater core to control output air temp. Weird; most use an air mixer chamber in the plenum to mix ambient air with warmed air to control output temp, and maybe a shutoff valve (either full open or full closed) to close off water flor when heat is not asked for. Sounds like you have no mixing...maybe trace your heater hoses to find the metering or shutoff valve.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags