Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question New Inverter Installation

I have read many posts on this forum about recommended Inverters and have purchased the Xantrex XS400 to power my TV, DVD, and laptop. I have researched and determined where and how to make the connections. However, I am unsure where to mount the inverter. I realize it should be as close as possible to the battery bank. But I'm unsure whether to mount it in the basement, or under the sink. There's not room where my converter/charger is mounted. Seems like I remember reading someone referencing their inverter was mounted under the kitchen sink??

Looking for recommendations!!

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I added the same converter about a year ago, just to power the new LCD TVs, Sat. etc. I mounted mine under the bed in the back, where the AC lines were running to the front and rear TVs. It situates it directly above the existing 2000W inverter mounted below and has plenty of room to dissipate heat. You can mount it pretty much anywhere it fits and is convenient relative to wiring as long as the wire size is correct. I thought that the manual recommends the proper DC wire size. It is a great little converter and runs very quietly. As a matter of fact I have yet to hear it.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

That would be me. I put it under the sink in our 35J because that is where the factory puts them and the 110V wiring was already there. It is also very close to the batteries. BTW, the converter is more to the rear, under the fridge. Maybe you can check in wiring and install diagrams for your coach and see where Winnie put's them? You may find that the wiring is there too.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Belgique,

Based on my research, an inverter wasn't OEM on the Adventurer until 2001, and it was place in the overhead with the forward TV. I like the idea of your placement and have looked at the '08 wiring diagram where it places is under the sink.

Are you a 141 driver? Notice it in your avitar.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Mine is in the basement but frankly.. Here are the considerations

1: Ventalation.. It must not "Breath" battery fumes as they are corrosive and will ruin it fast.. It does, however, need a supply of cool air.. So any compartment which is either large enough to absorbe the heat or well vented will work

2: Heat: Goes with the above

3: Distance from batteries.. AS close as possible

4: Wire routing.. Though this is obvious.. It's often overlooked,
Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

wa8yxm,

Thanks, I've about decided the basement is where I'm gonna put it. although I'll have to build a shelf to mount it, I think it'll get the most airspace to dissipate heat. Also it will be a short run from the batteries, and I can use it to plug my outside TV into. I moved my 19" tube type TV from the center overhead and installed a new LCD in it's place. I just stored my 19" in the basement under the Exterior Entertainment center, but think I'll hook it up there so as to watch the games outside when tailgaiting.

Only thing is, I'll have to drill a hole through basement wall to run battery cables, but I can seal it good with sealant. The remainder of the wiring will be inside. No causic vapors will enter the basement, and I don't store anything flammable inside the basement.

Thanks for the reply!!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikwallace View Post
Are you a 141 driver? Notice it in your avitar.
Thanks!
No, I was of those guys trying to get away from the 141...But, that was 50 pounds ago...I'd be a heavy drop today and would need a cargo chute Steve
Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well, I finished the inverter install last week and used it this past weekend on a road trip to the Ole Miss vs Arkansas game in Oxford. All worked great. I decided to mount the inverter in the basement, adjacent to the battery compartment. The run from the house batteries to the inverter is less than 24 inches, so makes it great for running the wiring. Easily tapped into the circuit for the electronics I wanted to power. Wired everything as the manual instructed and works as advertised. The only delimma I had was how to mount the inverter. I was in Sears the weekend before I mounted the inverter and found a Craftsman intermediate tool chest that had been returned and purchased it for $60; mounted it in the basement and bolted the inverter to the top of the tool chest. Now I have a place to store my tools and a safe place to secure the inverter!!

Thanks for all the input!!