Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Headlights

I wanted to tell my experience with trying to get headlights that I can actually drive with at night. I have a 2004 Journey. The headlights really didn't shine on the road very brightly. I tried polishing the lenses. Maybe it made a diffrence. Then I bought Silverstar bulbs. THat made a big difference. I was happy. THen I tried the HID bulb conversion kit. It required pulling the bulb out, attaching a ballast to the wiring (using the existing connectors) and then replacing the bulb. I did have to hang the ballast on the metal work, but that was accomplished with a wire hanger cut put through a hole and then twisted. I feel sorry for anyone coming toward me at night! I feel like I have 2 suns on the front of the RV. I bought the conversion kit from amazon Well worth the price of ~70 for a 6005 and the same for a 6006
Just in case any one was having trouble with their headlights.
Brian

Wife ( real lovely!), 3 Kids, 90 lbs Golden Retriever
OutBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Brian for that information. I had a 2002 Journey but I don't think I ever drove it at night. Thanks again for sharing--keep it up! Happy Travels.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Brian ... have you ever had your headlights aimed?? Mine were WAY off when I bought the coach, and getting a truck place that knew what they were doing to properly aim them helped a good bit. THen I replaced the low beam bulbs with HIRs. The high beams were always great. I don't really understand why low beam lights on motorhomes provide such poor vision for drivers when trucks, etc do find...
Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I tried a few places to help me aim the lights ( I was going to pay, so help is not really the correct word). They all ended up not doing it because they said that it was a California state law that they couldn't. They did not want the responsibility if they did it and I said anything. I ended up aiming it my self as best as I could. That made an improvement but when cars behind me made a shadow because my lights were so dim, I figured it was either low voltage to the bulb or bad bulbs. I am very happy to have made the switch.

Wife ( real lovely!), 3 Kids, 90 lbs Golden Retriever
OutBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have to drive with my lights on bright and I have never been flashed. I can only count 5 white strips in front me. :( I am looking at those 8mm lights. Have any of you tried them?
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Outberger
I had the same problem with out of adjustment heasdlights. I used my truck to set the aiming points on my garage doors, then adjusted the aiming points for the width and height of my Motorhome lights and then got them aimed. I also have clear fog lights that are very bright and can come on with the low beams. They too were looking for next tuesday so I re aimed them. I have also changed the high and low beam bulbs to Silverstar so now I can see at night. I was ready to remove the stock sorry funky plastic junk and mount a set of real glass round headlights but fortuatly I got my fancy one working before I started cutting.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I too have the poor night visability problem with my 2000 Dutch Star. I replaced the bulbs with GE Night Hawk 9007NH bulbs (not easy to find in Spokane) which are said to be one of two brands that are the best on the market (Philips VisionPlus 9007VP is the other). The new bulbs made a slight difference, but still not what I want. I wanted to have a good headlight adjustment and found most shops that aim headlights, do it without equipment. I finally found a body shop that had the proper equipment and had them do the adjustment. The cost was about $35, and they were pretty much out of adjustment.

I'm still not happy with the visability... so still searching for a solution.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
I too have the poor night visability problem with my 2000 Dutch Star. I replaced the bulbs with GE Night Hawk 9007NH bulbs (not easy to find in Spokane) which are said to be one of two brands that are the best on the market (Philips VisionPlus 9007VP is the other). The new bulbs made a slight difference, but still not what I want. I wanted to have a good headlight adjustment and found most shops that aim headlights, do it without equipment. I finally found a body shop that had the proper equipment and had them do the adjustment. The cost was about $35, and they were pretty much out of adjustment.

I'm still not happy with the visability... so still searching for a solution.
Romeo, You mention Spokane, sounds like we are neighbors. Would you please PM me the name of the body shop that did the adjustment of your headlights. Thank you,
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutBurger View Post
I tried a few places to help me aim the lights ( I was going to pay, so help is not really the correct word). They all ended up not doing it because they said that it was a California state law that they couldn't. They did not want the responsibility if they did it and I said anything. I ended up aiming it my self as best as I could. That made an improvement but when cars behind me made a shadow because my lights were so dim, I figured it was either low voltage to the bulb or bad bulbs. I am very happy to have made the switch.
Hey OutBurger, I have the same issue with my 2005 36G. I looked at the front of the lights but couldn't see any adjustment screws. Am I looking in the wrong place or are they on the inside of the front cover?

Thanks,
boomer49 is offline   Reply With Quote