Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question New Back-Up Camera

I currently have a 2006 Winnebago Voyage with a black/white camera and monitor.
  • If I replace the existing camera and monitor with a new color camera and monitor, can I use the existing cable or do I have to run new.
  • If the cable must be replaced, could I use it to pull the new cable?

Many Thanks,

Don Simmons
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I had an 06 Outlook 25F that had a b/w camera and I replaced it with a color one. No cable or monitor change and the monitor displayed in color. When I traded it I changed it back.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
  • If I replace the existing camera and monitor with a new color camera and monitor, can I use the existing cable or do I have to run new.

Many Thanks,

Don Simmons
If you have a Jensen/Voyager system, I am pretty sure you can use existing wiring (might need adapters). Here is a link to Jensen support section.

Customer Service

I replaced my Voyager B&W monitor with a Voyager color monitor last year. The color monitor was listed as the replacement for the B&W by Winnebago. Had it done at the factory. One of these days I will replace the camera with a color one.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #4

Quote:

Many Thanks,

Don Simmons
AggieDad
In 2010 I replaced my original B/W backup camera/monitor system with this system:
PEAK | Back-up Camera - 7 | Electronics | Auto Products

I used the existing 12V wires for power.
For maximum reliability and trouble free operation I used the existing coax/cable to carry the video from the camera to the "video in" jack of the monitor...(rather than relying on the wireless capability).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Find the writeup and pictures I posted on this forum a few weeks back. Hope the info helps.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Many Thanks,

Don Simmons
Great question: a few years ago I called Camping World and they told me they had to replace the video cable, but I didn't question their response. Next time I'm at a CW with the motorhome, I should have them take a look. Sure would like a color camera and monitor. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:45 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Try this company, Backup Camera System | Rear View Backup Camera | RearViewSafety.com I had purchased one of their camera systems from COSTCO. I had to replace the camera system on my 2003 Suncruiser. The hardest part was deciding how to actually mount the new monitor. As far as the cable I ran it right along with the rest of the cables underneath the coach to the front and then up into the dash area thru the cable way. I then resealed the cable way with Stuff from Home Depot. The system was designed to even add the turn signal cameras but I didn't. I left the old cabling there just incase I wanted to reinstall the old B/W camera to the rear and hook it up also.
It did take about 3hours to properly tie up the cabling under the coach.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Many thanks for all the replies. I will update once I do this. But I don expect it to be until late summer or even into fall. We have some travels planned, and b/w will work for a while longer.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We just replaced our broken sony camera with a 9" color monitor/camera from Tadi Brothers. Order Your Wireless Backup Camera from Tadi Brothers Today! . I found them to be very helpful with questions. We were replacing the roof and ran new cable but they could advise you on reusing the existing wiring.
sgtsilverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I replaced my old, outdated, non-working Sony backup camera system with a Voyager Digital Wireless backup system.
Doing this eliminated any concerns about cabling or wiring. I am pleased with the performance, color, and the night-vision ability ( 0.5LUX) of the system. I can watch our towed while driving at night just the same as in day light.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera