Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New 38P floorpan

Anyone check out the new 38P floorpan yet? Thoughts?

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It looks good to me.

Here's a youtube video.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What's with the fireplace across from the sink? It isn't viewable from the dining table & it's not really viewable from the LR couch either. Who puts a fireplace in a hallway anyway?...I guess Winnebago does. Plus, you turn the heater on that thing & you'll delaminate or ruin the cabinet across from it in that narrow passageway.

I always have to laugh at what a salesman thinks is a "large" shower. None come close to our 53"x30" shower. That's one of the reasons I've kept my Bounder for so long.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Has Schwintek slides....I'd keep looking.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I posted a similar question a few days ago and got no responses. I was wondering if someone had actually been in one. It seems to me that the living room area is very small, especially if the table is fully extended.

As for Winnebago 2016 slides, I've been told by the regional sales rep that all flush floor and wall slides will be Power Gear. Smaller slides will be Lippert-Schwintec which have been re-engineered for better reliability. Guess time will tell.

The fireplace seems like a really dumb idea.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Agree, the fireplace in the hallway is an odd location for sure. But it does heat and it is viewable from the LR sofa. What is across from the sink, and viewable from the LR is a huge picture window. Lots of daylight and a curb side dining table.

The 4 slides are all Power Gear as are the levelers. The shower measures about 56" x 30" inside at one end and angling wider to about 36"at the other end. Personally, I think that's a bit too much space for a shower stall.

Like all floorplans, there's always compromises here and there. But, we both immediately took a liking to the many thoughtful features in this coach and so we took the plunge and have been using it for the past two weeks now.

Appreciate the comments and I'm not at all put off by any dislikes. Bottom line is you only need to please yourself, so keep your comments (or questions) coming.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 10-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations. Glad to hear someone has actually thrown their hat in the ring. I have not seen one in the flesh but my main concern is the living area. Photos and videos on a computer screen can be so deceiving. The living area appears to me to be rather cozy compared to the galley, bath and bedroom. Especially with the table extended fully and 4 chairs around it. Could you please comment on that aspect. The rest looks great to me. Good looking rig.

Thanks Joopy.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Rocky. The living room has opposing slides. However the curb side slide has cabinetry that houses the retractable 50" television; the exterior TV; and also the steel structure that accommodates the "glide & dine" table. You can "glide" the table and chairs about 6 feet or so along the cabinet depending on your preferences. So, while the driver side slide is deep, the curb side slide is filled with mostly a cabinet base and nice overhead cabinets. A large corian top covers the big base. We rarely use the table inserts but there's adequate room to get past if and when we do use 4 chairs.

Tough to say if it's "large enough" for all likes but it's certainly wide enough for us and nice to have the large flat surface by the curb side dining table for laptops and other "stuff". Also nice to sit in the reclining sofa with the TV directly in front of us.

Now, here's something that surprised us. When the slides are retracted, it's very tight between the table and the opposing sofa. It's an effort to get by the table and only one fridge door opens. Not a deal killer for us but it could be a serious consideration for some folks. The U-shaped galley (which we love) is what crowds the fridge when the slides are retracted.

Here's just a few of the things that I feel are (arguably) big improvements over our previous 36M.
- no full wall slide
- no Lippert slide or levelers
- 3 rooftop air conditioners
- incredible amount of pass-thru storage and cargo carrying capacity
- multi-plex wiring

cheers,
Joopy
Old 10-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The more I see of the new floor plans the more I appreciate our Adventurer 38J. That U shape kitchen is INDEED nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4250088.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	109518   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4250085.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	109519  

Old 10-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Joopy,

I don't really get it...the slide rooms all have the Schwintec tracks installed on the tops and bottoms and yet you say they are Power Gear. I'm sure you're correct so could you elaborate a little? I have a Winne Sightseer with Power Gear slides and you see the rails and rollers underneath...not like yours at all.

Thanks
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Joopy,

I don't really get it...the slide rooms all have the Schwintec tracks installed on the tops and bottoms and yet you say they are Power Gear. I'm sure you're correct so could you elaborate a little? I have a Winne Sightseer with Power Gear slides and you see the rails and rollers underneath...not like yours at all.

Thanks
I'll give it a shot but unfortunately, Winnebago did not include the slide Operations Manual in their very large owners manual. I requested the OM information for the slides but have not heard back yet.

I understand that Lippert now owns Power Gear. When I think of Lippert slides I think of the toothed tracks that are secured with screws to the top and bottom of the slide side walls. This is the system that has had frequent failures for certain applications, especially full wall application.

I know the style drive that you have, but unlike the Power Gear drive on your coach, the Power Gear slide for this application has a free floating toothed track bar top and bottom of each slide wall. The free floating toothed track bar is only secured with a pin (like a door hinge pin) at the outboard point and a pin at the inboard point. It's not fastened to the slide wall other than at the pinned ends. I do not know the detail of how the drive motor engages with the track. The depth of the track teeth on the PG appears to be deeper than the Lippert track bar teeth. I'm GUESSING that the free floating toothed track bar is driven tightly on the motor drive gear by passing the track bar through a capture device (think thread thru eye of the needle) that maintains a close and constant tolerance to the drive gear. Again... guessing!

I'm sure there are many others more knowledgable about this type of Power Gear slide mechanism. Maybe someone will chime in with a better description and better detail. I'm just hoping that Winnebago did their homework when specifying this drive system. I believe they still use the Lippert slide drive for certain applications.

cheers,
Joopy