Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need To Run Small Wire From Front To Back

I have a 2004 Itasca Meridian 34H 350 Cat Freightliner XC Chassis and I need to run a wire from the front to the back so I can hook up a light so I can see when the brakes are applied on my Toad..

Is there a path that anyone knows of I can take?

Thanks LeeB
Old 09-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Why dont you splice a wire from toad brake light to a 12v placed light on your toad dash and watch it from your rv rear dash cam. Rkl
RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I have a 2004 Itasca Meridian 34H 350 Cat Freightliner XC Chassis and I need to run a wire from the front to the back so I can hook up a light so I can see when the brakes are applied on my Toad..

Is there a path that anyone knows of I can take?

Thanks LeeB
Just out of curiosity ... why?
Old 09-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

LeeB, I have the ReadyBrake setup and I too had to run a "ground" wire to the dash for the little red light. I 12V came from under the dash by clamping into another 12V wire somewhere. I ran the "negative", black wire, down thru the floor under the steering wheel area and just fed it thru the chassis with all the other wires going from front to rear and vice versa.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL View Post
Why dont you splice a wire from toad brake light to a 12v placed light on your toad dash and watch it from your rv rear dash cam. Rkl
I understand what your saying, but that would mean I have to look at the camera when I should be watching the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Just out of curiosity ... why?
See answer below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
LeeB, I have the ReadyBrake setup and I too had to run a "ground" wire to the dash for the little red light. I 12V came from under the dash by clamping into another 12V wire somewhere. I ran the "negative", black wire, down thru the floor under the steering wheel area and just fed it thru the chassis with all the other wires going from front to rear and vice versa.
That is exactly what I need to do. (I also have ReadyBrake)...
Hmmmmmmm I guess I need to take a better look at the wiring routing under the Steering Wheel area.....

Thanks LeeB
Old 09-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I understand what you are trying to do, but I wonder why. I assume you check that they are working before you leave in the morning. Do you have reason to believe that they stop working during the day?
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
I understand what you are trying to do, but I wonder why. I assume you check that they are working before you leave in the morning. Do you have reason to believe that they stop working during the day?
With ReadyBrake it works on with Surge and I want to be able to tell when they apply and when they release....
Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

So do you want to know if the brakes are actually applied or that the lights on the TOAD come on? I have the Roadmaster setup that has an indicator light on the dash that lets me know if the TOAD brakes are actually applied; however the brake lights on the TOAD come on anytime I apply the brakes in the MH. My setup has a lag on my TOAD brakes so that they don't come on every time I lightly hit the MH brakes. This works well in stop and go traffic. The light on the dash actually comes off the brake light switch on the TOAD.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
So do you want to know if the brakes are actually applied or that the lights on the TOAD come on? I have the Roadmaster setup that has an indicator light on the dash that lets me know if the TOAD brakes are actually applied; however the brake lights on the TOAD come on anytime I apply the brakes in the MH. My setup has a lag on my TOAD brakes so that they don't come on every time I lightly hit the MH brakes. This works well in stop and go traffic. The light on the dash actually comes off the brake light switch on the TOAD.
The light wire I need to run ONLY lights when the brakes are applied... Brake Lights come on when ever I apply the brakes on my MH...

The brakes on my TOAD do not come on every time like yours...
Old 09-19-2016, 12:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I've run several wires front to back on my 2000 Itasca horizon with the cat 300. I found existing bundles and use black tie wraps attaching the new wire external to the bundles. When the bundles turned and no bundle was near I attached to the frame. I gave plenty of room for the axle movement and was careful to avoid possible chaffing. At one spot placed the new wire in a plastic protector. I ran along the passengers side to avoid contact with the exhaust.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:11 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
The light wire I need to run ONLY lights when the brakes are applied... Brake Lights come on when ever I apply the brakes on my MH...

The brakes on my TOAD do not come on every time like yours...
So it appears you want the same hookup as mine. A tell, to let you know that the brakes (not lights) are actually being applied. This is how mine is.
Just run a wire from the back thru the chassis somewhere, follow the other wires up to the front where there is an pass thru and punch it up there and find a good spot to mount the light. Mine is mounted low so it doesn't blind you at night. I really don't look at it that often anyway. Only when I first start out in the morning after initial hookup. After that trust me I should be able to tell if I'm getting pushed around.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #12
Just Trying to Help

LeeB-

Does your coach have the "blue" trailer electric brake wire that runs from under the dash to the 7-pin connector? Many of us do, and use that to get the signal forward from the toad.

No new wires (or pathways) are required, and if you use the factory-supplied connector under the dash (assuming your coach has one), no splicing is required and it's completely reversible should you want to install an electric brake controller in the future.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I'm currently doing the same install on my 07 Adventurer and plan to do exactly what LeeB suggests. The other advantage besides not having to run 35' of wire is I can integrate the toad brake signal into my 7 pin to 6 pin cable that connects the coach to my toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
LeeB-

Does your coach have the "blue" trailer electric brake wire that runs from under the dash to the 7-pin connector? Many of us do, and use that to get the signal forward from the toad.

No new wires (or pathways) are required, and if you use the factory-supplied connector under the dash (assuming your coach has one), no splicing is required and it's completely reversible should you want to install an electric brake controller in the future.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
typerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
LeeB-

Ah ha.... Great idea I'll have to check....... Thanks......
Old 09-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I completed my installation yesterday. The biggest issue was finding where Winnebago hid the brake controller wiring harness. After searching for a couple hours with no luck I noticed the breaker in the breaker panel by the drivers left foot labelled "brake controller". I figured I could trace wires from the breaker to the harness so I removed the fiberglass cover from around the breaker panel. There was the harness stuffed to the far left where you would never find it unless you removed that cover! Thanks Winnebago!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by typerr View Post
I'm currently doing the same install on my 07 Adventurer and plan to do exactly what LeeB suggests. The other advantage besides not having to run 35' of wire is I can integrate the toad brake signal into my 7 pin to 6 pin cable that connects the coach to my toad.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
typerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Run 2 while you're getting dirty, wish I had.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Brake indicator lights

I also have the Ready brake system. The ready brake has a switch built it which closes when the surge is activated.

I installed 2 LED indicator lights in dash of MH. Blue comes on when ready brake is activated and red comes on when toad brake pedal activates toad brakes. (there is slack in the cable so ready brake will move slightly w/o moving toad brake pedal) This just makes me feel more secure. I get a visual on what is happening with toad brakes.

Wires were routed underneath MH using bundles, lines, frame holes, etc. with an extra wire if needed.