Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 07:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need schematic battery boost and disconnect

Does anyone have a schematic for the battery boost and battery disconnect switches on a 2018 Minnie Winnie 26A? I can get the wiring diagram but I need to see the schematic as to power flow and which wires are powered. I am installing a DC-DC Charger (new lithium ion battery bank) and want to replace the existing momentary battery boost switch with an on-off control switch for ignition controlled DC power to turn it on. Also wires may be useful to install a house battery meter on the dash. I’m trying to not run new wires if wires exist and are no longer used.
Rockman9796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Good thinking and certainly something to wish for but as far as I can find, Winnebago doesn't post that online from 2010 forward, only the install drawings which you have found are not much help. Maybe a call would get more, but I have not gone that route????
Chassis/ start battery wiring is almost into the "classified" range as Winn. does not show much at all on that portion and often just goes to an "isolated stud" shown on the drawings they do post and getting definite info from the chassis builders is even more difficult for me.

What I can offer is a bit of a start on a search which will take some "educated guesses" to find what you need. It will not be easy but the best I find?

One is to find how they plan for this to work and that is in this item:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...agram/Help.pdf

This shows how they label wires and this chart is the "decoder" for the labels:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

I will also send along the battery cable coding.

Numbers 1 and 2 are the big cables, ID'd by tape on them, with 3 being the lead which brings positive battery from the dash area, either through the ignition being on or when you push the momentary "boost" switch. This is the control for the solenoid, going through the solenoid coil to meet 4 which is the ground for that circuit and may actually be on a mounting screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bat cable.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	176956   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire id.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	176957  

Name:	mode solenoid copy.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	176959  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

stumbling along on another question, I came across a bit that might also be useful for your idea. so sending it along as something to use or ignore!!!

Winn. has a bad habit of using different names for the same things at times, so if you find boost switch and aux start switch, they are both the same thing! The dash may say one and drawings another!

But if looking for a place to find coach battery on the dash for meters, the boost switch is one that might be handy?

Looking at this drawing (https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000213332.pdf ) and page 2 at top left corner, it shows the wire IDs for three wires(LS,LR, and KE) and that may help sort the wire you need if you find the same ID at the battery, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bat boost.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	176960  
Old 01-24-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I knew most of this. Yep, hard to get electrical schematics. I’ll have to pull the dash to get to the switch anyway, so I’ll trace it to make sure the wires are the ones I need. I have been able to reroute the major wires to move the battery bank to the rear basement, including the generator starting cable and shore power (new ATS with the inverter). I’m cleaning out and sealing the original battery bay for the DC-DC charger. I got lucky and discovered there was room to run wires under the shower that I could access via a new manway I installed in the compartment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4C50B421-4297-4E0A-AADC-4F23911BBAB8.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	176975   Click image for larger version

Name:	055AF96F-96E5-4DC7-8E4B-367CB88EFDFC.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	176976  

Name:	88BB7782-C671-44FC-AE4A-ECE0F2A420F0.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	176977   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDD88FC8-A793-4BF0-864A-12F4F0A29500.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	176978  

Old 01-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Looks like a nice job. The old saying goes, "if it looks good it works good!" really does mean a lot.

One small point that you might check on is whether you can get by with prying the switches out of the dash, rather than pulling the whole thing????
On my Vista, the switches have small "fingers on each side which makes it easy to pop them in and still if I get a flat thin, screwdriver tip under the lip, the switch can be popped out enough get to the wiring for what we might need.

I was going for a set of small digital meters to show start and coach battery voltage at different times and first thought I could go to the back of the radio switch as point to pick both items but it turned into a bust as I did not have complete enough info and when I got the switch out, I found the leads went first to a relay and I could not use that point. On my RV the two strings are in the same compartment and I finally found it easier to just run four wire 24 gauge telephone line from batteries direct to the meter I put next the the steering column.

I use it as a easy way to check that the mode solenoid and other parts are working.
A look at the start voltage and then the coach before cranking, then after starting, I want to see the start voltage go up as the alternator comes online as well as expect the coach voltage to pop up if the solenoid has connected them together! I used these tiny little meters and feel I get lots of good info for a very small price!

The voltage drop from long thin wires is no problem as all I'm really wanting it to know resulting movements, not an actual voltage!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-28-Inch-2....c100667.m2042
Old 01-25-2021, 05:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! I tried pulling the dash panel at the switch but it didn’t work to get the switch out. I need access behind it anyway to install a mount for a Furrion camera system, so se la vie. I still have to seal the old battery bay and figure out best way to bring the wires in and arrange the charger and fuse in the space. Appreciate the advice!

Tags
26a, battery, boost, dc-dc charger, disconnect, minnie winnie, schematic