Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need help with electrical issue

HELP!

I loaned my 2004 Journey 36 to family. They are at a campground and have a problem.

The batteries read all fully charged on the panel. 13+ volts.
The caoch engine starts fine.
The generator will only start when the coach engine runs.
Once the generator runs, all is well
If the generator is off and the coach is plugged into 50amp service, only the Microwave and the 2 outlets with GFC are working.

I have run out of ideas were to have them look. Anyone???
Wolfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Phone tech service at Winnebago, they will have the answer, although it sounds as though there is a breaker or fuse out.
Winnebago, 800 537 1885 or 641 585 3535
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sounds like it is a problem with automatic transfer relay stuck in the generator position. In addition maybe the battery is switched off also.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfs View Post
The batteries read all fully charged on the panel. 13+ volts
[COLOR="Red"]13 volts does not mean fully charged. Fully charged should read 12.6 v about 1 hour AFTER being charged. /COLOR]

The caoch engine starts fine.
So your start batteries are good

The generator will only start when the coach engine runs.
My guess is the house batteries are discharged. Your gen starts off the house batteries and therefore will not start. When the main engine is started the engine alternator starts charging the house batteries and then the gen can be started

Once the generator runs, all is well

If the generator is off and the coach is plugged into 50amp service, only the Microwave and the 2 outlets with GFC are working.
I would check for voltage on BOTH 120v legs at the power pedestal. If you have power there then check at the coach end of the power cable. If you have power there then cycle the main breaker.

I have run out of ideas were to have them look. Anyone???
Last idea is to look for a tripped circuit breaker on your inverter/charger.

You problem is NOT in the transfer switch.....IMHO
Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you have voltage at the pedestal it is probably the transfer switch. If the generator starts when the engine is running it does point to the coach battery. When the engine starts the battery isolator solenoid bridges the coach and chassis batteries allowing the generator to start. Where are you reading the coach battery voltage?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sorry, I missed the part about the microwave working. That means the transfer switch is working ok. The fact that every thing is working with the generator means the AC breaker panel is fine.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I don't know your coach that well but, if like mine, there is a master cut off switch for the auxiliary batteries. Could that switch by chance been hit and turned off -- batteries disconnected. I had that happen once when in for service -- as a matter of habit, the techs always cut off the auxiliary battery at the switch by the door so it will not run down the battery bank.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

a guess from afar

I have a 2004 39W Journey ... same year, same dash, but different bathroom layouts I think ...

Two things that probably need to be checked ...

a) the second switch from the top between the rear camera monitor and the guages is the house battery switch ... bumping that causes lots of stuff to not work ... my wife has bumped it more than once when she closes the front drapes ... I have now learned to check it when things are not working ... that switch being OFF would explain why the genset would not start unless the engine is running ... I am quite sure the genset starter connects to the house batteries (when the engine is running the solenoid is energized and causes the alternator to charge both the coach and house batteries)

b) my coach has TWO GFIs ... one for the right side of the coach and one for the left side of the coach ... mine are both in the bathroom ... I think your coach probably has two as well ... (one is beside the lavatory ... one is behind the toilet)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, journey, no 110 volt