Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-19-2022, 06:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need help identifying circuit breaker

2003 Journey DL 330hp Cat 3126E. There are two auto reset circuit breakers beside the starter motor relay on a panel attached to the passengers side frame rail above the starter motor. They are about 2" square. The only marks on them are "BAT" by one terminal and "AUX" by the other. One of the CB's is broken I have no idea who makes them or what the amperage rating is. Freightliner and Cat both deny knowing of them. I've temporarily connected both wires to the existing stud while we are parked. I really need to know the amperage rating before I go anywhere else so I'm parked for a couple of weeks.
I've tried to attach a couple of pics, hope it works.
Thanks, Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000230r.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	182890   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000225r.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	182891  

Old 05-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You can get the wiring diagrams at this link.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

I was going to look at them but there are 10 different 2003 Journey models. What exact model number do you have?
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bones, I downloaded the whole manual (We have a WKP36GD). Unfortunately the information I need isn't in the PDF file.
I talked with CAT parts people, they say all of the misc stuff to run their engines in trucks are supplied buy the truck mfgr.
I had a good conversation with Freightliner, even gave them my VIN so they could look it up. They say the part I'm looking at was not on the chassis when they sent it to Winnebago.
The part has no identifying marks but through my research different load carrying circuit breakers have different size studs so I'm thinking I'll buy one with the same diameter stud. That put's it in the range 150 amps.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I was afraid this might get messy as we lack some of the good info needed.
But then there may be some info is it is wiring added by Winnebago as they have a system to ID wires and IF you can get that ID perhaps you can chase it on drawings or get info from Winnebago.

So here's the scoop that I know about and it "might" help to take a closer look----or not!

Theory is that there are codes stamped on the wires and then this list helps find the "from" and "to" of that wire. If it is a Winnebago added wire, you might get lucky as knowing what the wire does would lead to an ID of the part, maybe?
If it is the chassis wiring? AARRG!!

This code:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

For this type ID?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	182898  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:12 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

It kind of looks like this thing I randomly found by searching for a picture. Here is the link for a 100Amp version but they come in different ratings.

https://www.millsupply.com/100-amp-c...1.php?p=323469

Can you trace the wires to see if they go to the jacks motor/pump, slideout motors/pump, inverter, or generator? Seems like those would be the high current 12V loads.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Take it off and take it to a NAPA store . They are the ones who might know .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Richard. These are both battery cables, one coming from the chassis batteries and the other running off in a wire bundle to do it's business. There are two of these CB, one beside the other. The other has a plastic label on the AUX cable that says "CB to REAR ACCESS". I'm thinking that means rear accessories. I'm also gonna guess that one time in years past the other had a similar label that may have read "front access"

Bones, that's how I came up with guessing it was something close to 150 amp. The 100 amp has 1/4x20 stud the 150 amp I found has 5/16" studs and the 250 amp has 3/8" stud. You gave me a good idea though, I'll disconnect the wire and see if any of the big items go away or just a lot of little ones.

Thanks Deckape, I took it to every parts store in town and 2 big truck repair shops and only one person could even guess what it might be. He's the one that set me on to the auto reset cb idea.
I really want to thank everyone. Three days ago I was afraid I might have to take the wheels off and make a cinder block pad (to say nothing about moving to Ohio!)
Old 05-20-2022, 05:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

What size is the load wire, can't you just match it to that?
Old 05-20-2022, 06:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You mention "auto reset" but do I see a white pushbutton that might mean it takes a manual reset? Just a detail that might change what you are shopping?

Maybe I'm not seeing all I need to see but I only see the big cable at the bottom but I would expect to see that as incoming and other wire(s) to go out.
What am I missing seeing?
Still hoping there might be a code on that outgoing wire?
Old 05-20-2022, 06:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
You mention "auto reset" but do I see a white pushbutton that might mean it takes a manual reset? Just a detail that might change what you are shopping?

Maybe I'm not seeing all I need to see but I only see the big cable at the bottom but I would expect to see that as incoming and other wire(s) to go out.
What am I missing seeing?
Still hoping there might be a code on that outgoing wire?
Where it looks like a sunken white button looks like where the load side (It's marked "AUX") stud broke off if you compare with the one next to it.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

That sounds rational but that means something shouold not be working and where is the loose cable? Maybe something a previous owner took out and there is no need at all???

The item to the right looks newer cleaner without rust? Maybe it replaces this one and the old was not removed?
Old 05-20-2022, 06:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
That sounds rational but that means something shouold not be working and where is the loose cable? Maybe something a previous owner took out and there is no need at all???
In his post he says he temporarily connected both wires to the remaining post, which means everything still works but without protection. My suggestion was to size the replacement to the load wire, after all the breaker is there to protect the wire.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Would a call to Winnebago with coach serial number get information?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

When pointed to it, I can now see what looks like a second big red cable on the lower post, So right now, any breaker will be better than none at all!!

I might want to play it a bit and find what stops working when I take the cable off. A careful, causious guy might want to check how much current is running through that point? Or it may be like some of the "mega fuses" we see that are rated way high, like 300 amp and about their only use is to keep the RV from catching fire if there is a crash that pinches the cables. Just short of blowing up the battery, etc. the fuse may save it all!
Old 05-21-2022, 06:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I like the idea of calling Winnebago. How do I find the number?

The bright shinny thing to the right is the new starter relay I was putting in when I found the beat up circuit breaker.

I'm parked right now and will be until I get this thing worked out.

These ideas you folks are putting out make a lot of sense and I really appreciate it especially it being a last resort to shut off battery power as there are two of them and the other has a label on the wire that says "CB TO REAR ACCESS"'

I have a new one coming Monday (135amp) but it may give me a problem mounting it as the mounting holes are not in the same place. In the process of changing it I'll check to see what doesn't work with it disconnected. I'd do that right now but it's a real PITA getting at it.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:09 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I'm pretty sure it is way too late for markings to be on the cables but I'll send this along, just in case you find tape around the ends of any battery cables?

Entry to a ton of info if we poke around all the tabs here:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-resources

When you have time, take a tour through the "helpful links at the top right for tons of info you may need sometime?

Way down at the bottom of that page is "contact us", which takes you to lots of contact.

https://www.winnebago.com/contact-us

good luck as it can be a trek!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f battery cable code.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	182914  
Old 05-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I got the new circuit breaker today and it fits perfectly. It is physically an exact match and 150 amp which may or may not be right.

I hooked up the battery side and left the load side disconnected, then hooked up the chassis batteries and checked to see exactly what the cb controlled.

Everything functioned properly, engine cranked, generator cranked, HWH powered up, dash instruments and power distribution all were working. I did not start the engine or the generator just cranked to see it they would and I didn't move the slides or jacks just checked the system for power. So I just don't know.

The contact below the missing stud on the old cb looks fresh, no signs of arcing and just a little bluing at the base of the contact where it's riveted to the rest of the plate. So it must have at one time controlled current.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Since RV have so many options and differ so much, there are lots of things that it "could" be for and some of them may not be on your RV!
Little point to file away in case you ever need it again. I do like the idea of having breakers and it would be nice to know what it served but getting it fixed is a good move!
Enjoy!
Old 05-24-2022, 05:42 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Richard, you've put my mind at ease cause it was bothering me! I kept telling myself it has to be there for some reason...

Tags
need help