Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question need help

Can anyone give me an idea why the cigar lighters quit working on my Winnie Ultimate Advantage? They worked on my last trip, I use them for the GPS and aux back-up camera.

90% of the wires on this thing are yellow or white. According to the wiring diagram they are wired into the compartment lights, step and a few other things, they all work but the cigar lighters do not.
wingman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Check for a blown fuse. I'd surprised that all those other items would be on the same circuit as 12 v power outlet. Sometimes the outlet will have an in line fuse in addition to the main fuse block. Look for the main fuse block for the chassis and look for a diagram of which circuit is protected by each fuse. Resist the temptation to increase to a larger fuse - burnt wires or fire could result.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman8 View Post
Can anyone give me an idea why the cigar lighters quit working on my Winnie Ultimate Advantage? They worked on my last trip, I use them for the GPS and aux back-up camera.

90% of the wires on this thing are yellow or white. According to the wiring diagram they are wired into the compartment lights, step and a few other things, they all work but the cigar lighters do not.
Had a similar problem and it was a blown fuse in a hard to get location. Check every where and watch for in-line fuses.
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Note that every one of those yellow and white wires should be labelled every few inches to identify them. You should be able to look in the Wiring Identification Guide to identify a given wire. Here are the full 2001 Ultimate Advantage Q38K Wiring Diagrams for your coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Note that every one of those yellow and white wires should be labelled every few inches to identify them. You should be able to look in the Wiring Identification Guide to identify a given wire. Here are the full 2001 Ultimate Advantage Q38K Wiring Diagrams for your coach.
I had looked at that diagram but it did not help me. Do you know where a fuse panel might be? The only one I can find is outside under the driver side window, the first compartment. All of them are circuit breakers and none are tripped. Is there a fuse panel like a car somewhere?
Thanks for your input, Don
Old 11-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The Automotive Wiring Diagram for your coach shows (on page 2) that power to the 12V outlet is provided by the yellow wire labelled LS. Following that lead on the diagram shows (on page 5) that it is connected to a 15A breaker. That breaker is visible in the Front End Wiring Installation diagram on page 3 labelled 12 VOLT RECPS (you need to zoom in to see the detail).

Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
The Automotive Wiring Diagram for your coach shows (on page 2) that power to the 12V outlet is provided by the yellow wire labelled LS. Following that lead on the diagram shows (on page 5) that it is connected to a 15A breaker. That breaker is visible in the Front End Wiring Installation diagram on page 3 labelled 12 VOLT RECPS (you need to zoom in to see the detail).
Are you talking about the 15 amp circuit breaker? None of the breakers are tripped.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman8 View Post
Are you talking about the 15 amp circuit breaker? None of the breakers are tripped.
Yes, the 15A circuit breaker should control the 12 volt outlets, according to the wiring diagrams. Have you verified that you do not have power to the yellow LS wire at the back of the socket? How about at the LS wire at the back of the circuit breaker?

Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
12 volt circuts do not have resetable breakers. They have small 1/2" fuses which are removable from a fuse box. If the cigar lighter type plug is in the dash you can bet the fuse box is under the steering wheel area. If you have a backup camera cut out in your dash remove what ever is in the space and look for an inline fuse holder behind the dash radio area.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
12 volt circuts do not have resetable breakers. They have small 1/2" fuses which are removable from a fuse box. If the cigar lighter type plug is in the dash you can bet the fuse box is under the steering wheel area. If you have a backup camera cut out in your dash remove what ever is in the space and look for an inline fuse holder behind the dash radio area.
There are resettable 12v breakers, manual and automatic.

Automotive Circuit Breakers | Automotive Circuit Breaker Supplier - Ozautoelectrics.com - 12v Circuit Breakers for Sale

There are also nifty 12v fuses that light up when they burn out -- easy to spot!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I guess I have never owned anything expensive enough to have resetable 12volt fuses/breakers. I have however seen the fuses that light up when blown out. Most of my mechanical/electrical knowledge was learned more than 30 yrs ago and it seems I have not kept up with the new gadgets available. Thanks for the correction.

OP should make sure the grounds on the cigar lighters are good....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

On my 2002 PA with 2001 Ford F53 chassis, the 12v power jacks and the cig lighter (both on the Ford OEM dash) are fused via a panel contained in a box under the hood. BTW, on many vehicles the same circuit powers the ODB2 jack. Typically nothing else is on this circuit.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote