Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2021, 03:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Mystery wire near solenoid

Hello, I just purchased a 2005 Aspect23D
And two days after leaving the dealer, lost all coach power. I guess he put a new house battery and it died due to truck not charging the house. I started looking around and found this. See pic. I have no idea where that yellow wire goes but guessing that's why it's not working. Can someone please help me locate where the wire should be terminated to? Thank you
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211020_180807.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	181152  
Kskatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some thoughts may work for finding this wire but it is also good to keep in mind that not all the same year, make, modle will have the same options, so that can leave the wiring harness having some spare leads if that specific Rv doesn't have a specific option!

So one way to go is to look on the wire side for a code. check the first snip below for example? Then if you find a code, check this link for wire ID as it may give a good idea of where that wire is "from" and "to":

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

If you don't have that item, then it is just a spare wire!

Second way might be to use the drawings and start at some known point to test for voltage there and work toward where you want it to go.
A good point to start is often getting the battery charged and then working from there toward some item like lights of a fan that is easy to find and check.

Maybe try looking for the loose wire ID and get back with some info one what else you have to work with. Do you have a meter or way to check wiring for voltage? Do you now have the battery charged?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wire id copy.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	181153  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

After a bit more looking, it looks like a good place to start, once both batteries are good and charged, might be at the solenoid if it is something you can get too easy enough to check.

I did some small snips to show what we might expect to find there and how it works. The mode solenoid and disconnect realy usually look very much like thse drawing show and that makes it a little easier to follow. Click this to get a better view.

Your RV should have two buss bars, one chassis and one coach. Wire KKG that I marked in green goes from that buss bar to the side of the solenoid, while KKF marked red, goes to one side of the disconnect switch. IF the disconnect switch is right and passes the voltage through, the coach battery power goes through to the other side of the disconnect and on to the solenoid.

So if you can get to that solenoid and test for battery from chassis battery on one side and coach battery on the other big lug, that is good and then it is getting the solenoid to operate and close the contacts connecting left and right side (both batteries?) together!

Two times this solenoid operates, one when we push a "boost or Aux" switch on the dash to help "jump start/ boost" a weak start battery.

Or it also should connect when we start the engine.

Two ways to test to make sure it is moving and trying to connect them. First we might let somebody push the dash switch while we listen and feel the solenoid. Sometimes if it is quiet, we can hear it click or thump when we do it ourself but for sure it is easier to tell if a helper does the pushing while we feel for it to jump!

OR if we have a meter and look at the coach battery while nobody is pushing the button and the engine is not running, we can often see the coach voltage go high like 14 volts when we start the engine and rev it up. We can often see the meter go up and down as the engine speed changes if the solenoid is connecting the chassis battery to the coach side.

A couple ways to go there but one thing to keep in mind is that the coach battery disconnect will not work to open or close if there is not enough battery left to work! This is a latching type relay and stays in the last position if all battery power is lost.

See if any of that helps and let us know if we need to go look for more bugs??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mode copy.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	181154  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solenoid