Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Well I finally got around to installing the new holding tank gauges; the SeeLevel II from Garnet. This system is fantastic. Installation went without a hitch, and I used the existing wiring to the tanks.

I was going to install the new displaqy panel directly over the old display LED panel, but the new one was too small to cover up the holes. As I stood there staring at it, a light went on

I removed the HVAC thermostat, and moved it up to where the old tank LED's were. Had to punch a larger hole for the T-stat connector to fit through, and drill some new mounting holes.

Perfect. That left me with plenty of blank panel space to cut the hole for the new display. After finishing that, I pulled a 4 conductor wire down to the tank compartment, for the second tank level display. To mount it, I simply used a shallow, painted, wiring box I found in Lowes. It already had the perfect size hole to mount the display. Drilled a couple holes into the cross-member, and screwed it in place.

I thought the fresh water tank sender would be a tough job, but it was actually pretty easy. I 'borrowed' an idea from Joe-K (Thanks, Joe), to mount the 2 senders on different faces of the tank, since there is no room for stacking 2 senders one above the other, as directed in the instruction. It works.

Now that this project is complete, I will be adding the Super-Steer MCU that arrived here last week. Retired in February and busier than ever

Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well I finally got around to installing the new holding tank gauges; the SeeLevel II from Garnet. This system is fantastic. Installation went without a hitch, and I used the existing wiring to the tanks.

I was going to install the new displaqy panel directly over the old display LED panel, but the new one was too small to cover up the holes. As I stood there staring at it, a light went on

I removed the HVAC thermostat, and moved it up to where the old tank LED's were. Had to punch a larger hole for the T-stat connector to fit through, and drill some new mounting holes.

Perfect. That left me with plenty of blank panel space to cut the hole for the new display. After finishing that, I pulled a 4 conductor wire down to the tank compartment, for the second tank level display. To mount it, I simply used a shallow, painted, wiring box I found in Lowes. It already had the perfect size hole to mount the display. Drilled a couple holes into the cross-member, and screwed it in place.

I thought the fresh water tank sender would be a tough job, but it was actually pretty easy. I 'borrowed' an idea from Joe-K (Thanks, Joe), to mount the 2 senders on different faces of the tank, since there is no room for stacking 2 senders one above the other, as directed in the instruction. It works.

Now that this project is complete, I will be adding the Super-Steer MCU that arrived here last week. Retired in February and busier than ever

Indian River, De
Old 04-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

CaptBill--

That's a great looking job on the installation and a very clever idea to move the thermostat. Great job in my book.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

CaptBill, Very nice looking and creative installation solution. And I can testify that you will really apprecaite the accuracy of the SeaLEvelII gauge. It sure makes it easier to manage your tanks. Last trip we wanted to travel light (trying to stretch the $4.12/ gallon fuel) and the OEM gauge (I left mine installed) said the tank was empty; the SeaLevel II said we had 37%. Over a quarter of a tank.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Great work Bill, If you get ready to trade your coach let me know...She sure looks nice..Our best to all you family...J&L

PS Congratulations on your retirement.(I think)
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Nice job Bill

Looks good on the bottom of the One Place panel. I just installed a SeeLevel on our new rig as well. No way would I ever own another motorhome without the system.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:01 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the compliments, and yes, it is so much better than the OEM system. In case anyone else is going to do this project, there was one other no-so-obvious change that I also made.

The solar cell charging system, which includes the red LED on the monitor panel, would have been lost when I removed the old monitor circuit board. I looked at it carefully, and saw that the diodes, connecter, and LED are all mounted at the top right corner of that board, and are not connected to anything else.

I tool my Dremel tool with cutoff wheel, and cut the circuit board such that I could re-install that little corner piece of circuitry. It's above the thermostat, and out of the way, so that worked out fine.

My goal would be to replace that little 10 watt solar panel with something more substantial, but for now, the original panel is at least still working. Thanks again. This is definitely a worthwhile project, so if you are thinking about it, and have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Indian River, De