Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Short story:

In Florida last week, heat pump working great. I forget why, but I slid the fan mode (Auto/On) switch to on. No fan, hmmm, worked in the A/C mode once before, I used it to even the noise level A/C on vs. off. Strange, I'll have to look at it later. (Fan would only go on when called for with heat or A/C).

Got home yesterday, haven't started the genset in a while, didn't use it on our trip, thought I'd run it a bit before it's parked again. As soon as it fired up, the blower was on! Wouldn't turn off. Auto/on does nothing. Hi/Low fan does it usual almost nothing (draws 8 amps on low, 6 on high - airflow feels and sounds the same). Heat and A/C won't come on, but gas heat does.

It's going back to the dealer ASAP to finish some work they couldn't finish in the four weeks they had it before we left. I'll add the fan issue to our work order. But just in case, anyone have any thoughts or experienced anything like this?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Short story:

In Florida last week, heat pump working great. I forget why, but I slid the fan mode (Auto/On) switch to on. No fan, hmmm, worked in the A/C mode once before, I used it to even the noise level A/C on vs. off. Strange, I'll have to look at it later. (Fan would only go on when called for with heat or A/C).

Got home yesterday, haven't started the genset in a while, didn't use it on our trip, thought I'd run it a bit before it's parked again. As soon as it fired up, the blower was on! Wouldn't turn off. Auto/on does nothing. Hi/Low fan does it usual almost nothing (draws 8 amps on low, 6 on high - airflow feels and sounds the same). Heat and A/C won't come on, but gas heat does.

It's going back to the dealer ASAP to finish some work they couldn't finish in the four weeks they had it before we left. I'll add the fan issue to our work order. But just in case, anyone have any thoughts or experienced anything like this?

Old 02-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I don't think the fan is supposed to come on when in heat mode. It will come on when in air cond mode and when the main switch is in the off position.

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Our fan comes on when the heat pump is in heat mode. The other day I noticed that the fan speed seems the same regardless of whether it is set at hi or low.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:48 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

tderonne, your post was a little confusing but I'll take a stab at it...
I'm thinking that the hi/lo switch on the thermostat only works for the A/C, not for the gas furnace. And when you fired up the genny, if the coach thermostat was on and the outside temp was less than 34 degrees, you're gonna get the gas furnace coming on, not the heat pump.
That's my $0.02, and I could be all wrong...
Old 02-09-2005, 03:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sorry about the long confusing post, I tried to make it short.

How about this:

My fan (the TrueAir one) stays on ALL the time, and the heat and A/C won't come on.

That's much simpler.

(No help in any manual. It's a dealer issue.)

Now back to being wordy. I learned a bit about the hi/low setting. In the installation manual I found online, it has airflow data for the two speed settings. Above a static pressure of about .4" of water, the hi setting only delivers a little more than 10% more air. Given the duct sizes, and number of outlets in each, I'm betting I'm above .4" (and that my hi and low are reversed).

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Dropped it off at the dealer today.
Me: "My A/C - heat pump needs work"
Dealer: "blah - blah 1 year warranty - labor - $$$$"
Me: "Nevermind"
I was a bit ******. Looked up my warranty. TWO YEARS, as I remembered. Already e-mailed it to them. I'll call in the morning.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:06 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tderonne:
Looked up my warranty. TWO YEARS, as I remembered. Already e-mailed it to them. I'll call in the morning <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a BIG 10-4 tderonne.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

As a bettin' Man...

(And because I have had so many of them fail...)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the Thermostat has failed. None I have services have failed in this exact manner, but the facts in the case tell me it's not miswired.

In my opinion, the thermostats are poorly made. RVP seems to agree as they will send you a new one F.O.C. if you call the tech dept and give them the serial numbers and inservice dates of the a/c unit and tstat.

If your "unfortunate, less then well informed" dealer staff bungles the repair, just call the RVP 800 number in your A/C owners booklet and ask for tech help. They are actually quite helpful and accomodating. Once, they overnighted a replacement thermostat at their cost without my even asking.

Hope this helps.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote