Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My 2015 WinneBREAKo is down again

It seems every other time I take my rig out to a rally or campsite something goes out. This time all the coach power went out..... No lights, A/C or anything my control panel went out to so I could not see tank levels or start the generator from there. Good news was it was a Sunday and the last day of the rally and the engine would start so we could drive home. Got back called my dealer since it is still under warranty and the service mgr said they were so backed up I couldn't even bring it in for 2 weeks. They had no space on the lot for it to even sit there. So my appointment to bring it in is this Tuesday and hopefully it doesn't take another 2-3 weeks to get it into a bay to get looked at. It's getting frustrating when most of my miles on the rig is from going back and forth from the dealer. I thought getting a "new" Winnebago would be a more dependable purchase. The big problem is now the dw is worried and concerned about going anywhere in it. The fear of breaking down and it being too undependable to take a longer trip is making it harder to enjoy. Any one else in a similar situation?

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Check your salesman power switch.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Rkh

Not good.. Do you have a question?
When you say everything is dead.. No 12 volts? Meaning no lights?
Does the generator turn over?
If no to the both of the above, the 12volts master switch may be off for some reason.
If you can plug the coach into some sort of power where you are, does any 110volt stuff work. An outlet? The microwave?

Rod
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Not good.. Do you have a question?
When you say everything is dead.. No 12 volts? Meaning no lights?
Does the generator turn over?
If no to the both of the above, the 12volts master switch may be off for some reason.
If you can plug the coach into some sort of power where you are, does any 110volt stuff work. An outlet? The microwave?

Rod
The 12 volt system will not work. We were at a campground and stayed 3 days got up Sunday morning took the dogs out for a walk before we packed up to go and when we came back there was NO POWER checked the circuit breakers they were not tripped. I have a surge protector plugged in at it was lit up normal. I unplugged everything checked the breakers flicked them on and off plugged everything back in. Put the breakers back on and nothing. Checked every breaker in the coach and in the outside fuse area and none were tripped. My control panel was out so I couldn't engage the inverter or generator. So we just continued to pack up to go home. Turned the engine on for some AC and pulled in the slides and the raised the levelers and drove away. When we got to our storage unit we plugged in the coach (20 amp circuit) and we had 110 to the fridge and microwave but still no 12 volt power Lights etc. I did not know of any 12 volt master switch or even heard of one. The Winnebago tech I talked with did not mention one to me either. So now I wait to get it into the dealership next week.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Two switches by the door. One chassis and one coach. Your coach is tripped.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

As others have mentioned, if there is no 12 volt power check the battery disconnect switches near the door.

The switches are described complete with a picture on page 6-11 of the owners manual.
http://winnebagoind.com/resources/ma...15/15Vista.pdf

If the house batteries are disconnected you won't have any lighting, power to run the refrigerator control panel, or power to the monitor panel, water pump or any other 12 volt system.

Here's a quote from page 6-10 of the owners manual:

"The house batteries supply power to 12-volt equipment located in the living area of the motorhome. This includes the following 12-volt powered components (if equipped): interior 12-volt lighting, range exhaust fan, propane furnace fan, fresh water pump, systems monitor panel refrigerator, roof vent fans, and 120-volt electrical generator starter."

From your description of the problem it sounds like someone inadvertently bumped the switch when either entering or leaving the coach.

To reconnect the house batteries depress the end of the switch labeled "ON". When the batteries are reconnected you should see a green light on the switch

Old 10-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Whoever told you this was a cheap hobby, lied to you.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Wonder if the fix solved his 12V problem?
BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

This is a new coach and apparently a new Rver. I am shocked they didn't point out the two switches in the walk through. I learned the hard way with my first coach. Drove 20 miles to the dealer after having a fan added and said nothing works and they flipped the switch.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:38 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We had this on the road. Went to start the engine and it was totally dead. I had pushed the battery disconnect switch in addition to the awning switch and turned off the battery. Stupid place for the awning switch. I am in the process of moving it now.

One could easily push the wrong switch if not paying attention.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

That darn switch! I could think of a dozen better locations for it.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

On the other hand moving the switch away from the door loses the convenience of just reaching in to run it.

Anyone who does not own and understand a voltmeter is begging for trouble. He could have sorted out his problem very quickly with a couple of checks. I'm not entirely sure it's the switch as he may also have sucked his batteries flat with a big inverter, no auto start and dry camping. Especially if he is running LED lights that will run at a constant brightness over a range of voltages then quit.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

It does sound like someone bumped the switch by the door. Try resetting the switch by first switching it off and then switching it back on to make sure the switch responds
Old 10-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

OK folks Thanks for the input, it made me review things in my head again, so I went out to the storage unit last night to check the cut off switch again. It was in the on position but I noticed the green light was not on. I clicked it on and off a few times and no change. I clicked the other on and it felt different. To make the story shorter it looked/felt like that switch was not engaging. May have been stepped on, kicked or damaged by setting something heavy on it from moving gear in and out but it was broken. Played with it some and got it to engage but then it won't disengage. Anyway got it on and will order a new one. I agree it is in a bad location and in my panic and being daylight I must of not noticed that the green light was not on when I checked them. My previous problem was a hidden fuse that blew when my levelers were raised and left the coach up in the air for a few days till a service company could come out and bring a fuse (assumed this was a similar problem). That trip was at a state park and realized our phone carriers service did not work there. We had to call the dealer, coach-net, service guy and anyone else from a borrowed phone. We weren't stranded this time so we just came home. So since then we now have 2 different phone companies and 4 extra fuses.. You definitely learn stuff every trip. Ordered a multi meter from Amazon this morning too.

Thanks again everyone for the help ....that's whats great about this site.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Dave, in a friendly manner, Winnebago gave you a bag of manuals.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Dave, in a friendly manner, Winnebago gave you a bag of manuals.
Yea I guess I should not of used them to start my first campfire. LOL

Old 10-19-2015, 03:34 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I like a happy ending. Same thing happened to me. I had no idea about that darn switch. Now i do.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Before replacing the switch you might want to disassemble the "operator" from the body to see if things just got out of alignment when the switch got bumped. The operator is the button or lever that you push to engage or disengage the switch. It's a separate part from the switch proper and is held in place by a couple plastic studs that fit into a pivot at the center of the switch. It can be removed by just pulling it away from the switch body.

Many times when the switch is hit the operator comes loose or misaligned and will no longer push the actuator on the switch body. Simply removing it and reinstalling it may be all you need to do. It happened a couple times on our 2001 Adventurer. The switches on our 2013 Adventurer are slightly recessed so they're less likely to be hit.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

As I indicated in previous post I also didn't think about that switch. I turn off both switches when stored for any length of time. Don't ask how many times I have climbed into the driver seat and no response to key turning in ignition and then I wake up and flip the switch. How about not engaging the parking brake before initiating the levelers and slides? One of my favorites is the snap that secures the pocket doors. A simple thing to do but how many times I have forgotten I can't count. First corner I know I forgot because the door slams. How many antennas do we see not retracted as the coach departs? Yup in my early years I pulled out of the cottage while plugged in. $325 error. Anyone forget to move ignition switch on toad to free steering wheel? I now have a check list on a clipboard. The toad key is hung on the coach steering wheel and clipboard on the seat. I have not departed with a bay door open but have seen it. I also do not rely on the electronics to tell me things are ok. I do visual walkaround. Once when stowing satellite dish the box shutoff for some reason but dish not stowed. Luckily I Saw the shadow as we turned at the campground exit. Lucky me for the sun, no sun probably no dish after first overpass. My point is we learn from experience and I love the easy lessons. Safe travels.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:29 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

FYI-We have had the leveler fuse blow. We retracted the levelers by hand. Time consuming but doable. Once we found the fuse(with Winnie help) we went to NAPA and bought a new fuse+an extra. FYI-the fuse from the dealer was 3x NAPA's price. You can also put jumpers on the fuse and jump around it so it will work. Challenge is finding the fuse. Winnie does not have a consistent spot to put the fuse.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote