Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for your input. I am getting hot air from the dash heater and the water gets hot at the faucets. I only get cold air from the floor vents when I throw the rocker switch on the dash. Question: "What could cause this?" It worked ok last year before I winterized the MH.
2005 Adventure 35U, 2002 CVR, Monroe RV shocks
Old 03-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Rigrunner,

Since your motoraid is working for the hot water heater, then you know it is getting hot water from the engine.

There is a "gate" or damper that opens in the heater duct when the coach heater fan is turned on. If I'm not running too fast, I can hear it close when I turn off the coach heater fan. Perhaps that gate or damper is stuck. I have a floor vent immediately behind the engine cover. If I take that off, I can reach into the duct towards the passenger side and move that damper. I'd check to see if it's stuck.

You can also call Winnebago Owner's Relations, and they will tell you how to check if there is water flowing through the heater coils of the Coach Heat. There may be a kink in a hose. I don't know if the water heater motoraid coil and the coach heat coil are in series or parallel.

Hope this helps.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 03-26-2006, 03:17 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

W8RLM-Bob,
Hey thanks for the suggestions. My duct is also right behind the engine cover so I'll check on the damper later this week when I go down where I have my MH stored.
Charlie

2005 35U, 2002 CRV, Monroe Shocks
Old 03-26-2006, 04:40 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

There was some discussion on this subject a while ago. As I recall the "Motoraide" system on a diesel coach is a little different than the one in a gas coach. The gas version has a "heater core" which will provide heat through the floor vent in addition to heating the water. As mentioned there is no temperature control for this unit only a fan switch on the dash.
The diesel version heats the water in the water heater only there is no additional heater core for coach heat.
It seems that I also recall someone mentioning that there is a panel under the coach behind the water heater on the gas coaches (35' and longer) that can be removed to access the heater core and blower fan. For the shorter gas coaches the water heater has to be removed for access.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

The fan motor went out on my coach heater(controlled by rocker arm on dash and described by others), had it replaced by Winnebago at the factory last week while having shower liner replaced. My extended warranty picked up the tab less my $50 ded. It is a tedius job to do it your self, crawling behind water heater etc....
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Hi Everyone, This may sound stupid but my motoraid heater is working fine. I thought all this time that hot air is supposed to come out the register just behind the engine cover. Wrong, this is the cold air return. I have hot air coming out all the other registers. I'm passing this on so that others don't make the same mistake. As cold as it is the week you may be using yours. Cheers, Rigrunner
Old 04-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I thought all this time that hot air is supposed to come out the register just behind the engine cover. Wrong, this is the cold air return </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it possible that it's a cold air return for the coach heater only? If I recall correctly (haven't used it since last fall) I get hot air out of that register when furnace is on.

Page 5-3 2005 Adventurer Owner Manual refers to it as a "REAR" Coach Heater. To provide auxiliary heat to the "rear" of the vehicle, turn the coach heater fan switch to the desired speed.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

On my 2000 Advent. 35U the cold air return for the Motoraid coach heat is located at the base of the folding table behind the co=pilots seat. Vent at rear of doghouse blows hot air. (something I have been accused of many times)
Brian
Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Heat comes out of my first register behind the motor cover, lots of it, as long as the fan is turned on. My cold air return is under the little table by the recliner.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Anyone have to replace the fan for the motoraid heating? Mine is froze up. Not looking forward to crawling inside the cabinet to get it fixed. Been froze up for a couple of years now. Do not realy miss it.

When it did work. Heat came out of the first vent on floor by dog house. There is a flapper door there.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob Russo

Is it possible that it's a cold air return for the coach heater only? If I recall correctly (haven't used it since last fall) I get hot air out of that register when furnace is on.

Bob, you are correct, it puts out hot air when gas furnace is on and is cold air return when using motoraid. Good observation.
Rigrunner
Old 04-07-2007, 03:40 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

There is one more configuration out here.
My Sightseer has two round moveable vents in a panel under the refrigerator. When the "Aux Fan" switch on the dash is set to "High" or "Low" and the engine is running, hot air comes out of those vents (not the floor vents). The heat is supplied via the MotorAid system and does a good job of keeping the rear of the motor home warm when we are traveling in cold weather.

As to how hot it gets, I have measured 140 degrees F at the sink faucet right after we stop.
I asked a Winnebago customer service guy if there was a temperature control device (thermostat) to keep the heat below some preset level and he said "Other than the engine thermostat, no ".
Along with what is transferred to the hot water tank, the run from the front to the rear dissipates enough heat to drop it to the 140 degree level. My engine temp runs between 195 and 210, so that's a pretty good drop from front to back.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

rvten, I repaired mine. Here is the thread.

Aux Heater

Hope this helps