Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 01:28 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

This is a common problem. Starting in 2006 Winnebago started installing Trik-L-Start modules in the coaches to keep the starting batteries topped off PROVIDING you are plugged in the age house charger is functional. This is a top-off charge so there is no need for any of the higher current cross chargers, the Trik-L-Charge is more than enough. Either way it's something that should be done as the engine and transmission computers put a constant draw on the batteries.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I read read the instructions on the trick l start website and one diagram shows the device hooked to each of the batteries. Wouldn't that just cause all of your battery's to go dead. Shouldn't this device be installed so it's only taking power from the charging side of the house battery's not the battery's them selves?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
throbbin367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbbin367 View Post
I read read the instructions on the trick l start website and one diagram shows the device hooked to each of the batteries. Wouldn't that just cause all of your battery's to go dead. Shouldn't this device be installed so it's only taking power from the charging side of the house battery's not the battery's them selves?

throbbin367,
Well, to answer the first part of two-part question, No, the design of both the Trik-L-Start and the Amp-L-Start is such that, when no power is fed to the actual "charge" receiving side, (the house battery charging side), it self disconnects, leaving both sets of batteries independent of each other. As for the second part of your question, you yourself answered part of it. IT IS connected to the house battery charging side. But, due to it's intricate circuitry, it then sees the voltage difference between the two sets of batteries and, when the chassis batteries have a minimum of .5V difference (lower), it then siphons off, some of the charging that's destined for the house batteries and sends it to the chassis batteries at a rate not to exceed 5 amps.

But, when you settle in to a camp spot, or park it at home where no shore power is presented, that little black box self disconnects from the chassis battery side of the system. Once you plug back into shore power, that black box sees charging now going to the house batteries and, again, will send some to the chassis batteries IF, they need it. Hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Scott, that was the answers I was looking for. I just wanted to make sure this thing wasn't going to kill both sets of batteries trying to maintain one set

throbbin367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbbin367 View Post
Thanks Scott, that was the answers I was looking for. I just wanted to make sure this thing wasn't going to kill both sets of batteries trying to maintain one set

You're most certainly welcome Sir. When we first bought our coach, the '04 Itasca 36GD, like all Winnes and Itascas of the era, it was not equipped with any form of chassis battery charging while plugged into shore power. So, I "MacGuyvered" a three stage Napa battery charged into the system which, was solely dedicated to keeping the chassis batteries charged. Well, that worked for about 3 years. But, that charger eventually gave up the ghost so, I needed another system.

I had heard of the Trik-L-Start before but, never paid much attention to it. So, when I needed a replacement for my battery charger, I looked into that Trik-L-Start. I liked it. And, I found out there is a "Big Brother" to it, the Amp-L-Start. It allows for a bit more amperage diverted to the chassis batteries. So, I picked that one and, as you can see in the pics, I did the install in about an hour. Been ultra happy with it ever since.
Scott
Old 11-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

subscribed , Fire up

would the era have changed by 05 ? because mine charges on shore power
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
subscribed , Fire up

would the era have changed by 05 ? because mine charges on shore power
Hey James,
Your "What" charges on shore power, your house batteries or your chassis batteries or, both? (for others who may be watching) I'm not sure just EXACTLY when Winnebago and Itasca started installing the Trik-L-Start. I'd have to dig around my pdfs, and find the one with the Winne bulletin about the system. It may be in there as to the time frame when they started installing them.
Scott
Old 11-09-2016, 11:49 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

I was told 2006, and I have one.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 11-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey James,
Your "What" charges on shore power, your house batteries or your chassis batteries or, both? (for others who may be watching) I'm not sure just EXACTLY when Winnebago and Itasca started installing the Trik-L-Start. I'd have to dig around my pdfs, and find the one with the Winne bulletin about the system. It may be in there as to the time frame when they started installing them.
Scott
The information plate stating
incomplete vechicle manufactured 9/04
And the house battery charge when pluged into shore power
Old 11-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
The information plate stating
incomplete vechicle manufactured 9/04
And the house battery charge when pluged into shore power
The "HOUSE" batteries have always charged on shore power. Depending on your model year and type of coach, you either had a "converter/Charger" or, you have an "Inverter/Charger". But, it's the chassis batteries that have been the problem. Many coach manufacturers simply did not provide a means for chassis batteries to be charged on shore power. Some did. Some actually put in systems to handle both sets of batteries while on shore power.
Scott
Old 11-11-2016, 02:56 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

It's easy enough to figure out... Look behind the plate up from the where the main 12v distribution is. It's on the left of the breakers and pretty hard to miss. That's the only place they installed them from the factory I've ever seen

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 11-11-2016, 03:36 AM   #32
Just Trying to Help

WIT Club Bulletin on Trik-L-Start (04/2006)

Quote:
Hey James,
Scott
Scott has amazing remote telekenetic powers, able to summon PDFs from other people's libraries. Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2006-04 Trik-L-Start.pdf (125.0 KB, 57 views)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The "HOUSE" batteries have always charged on shore power. Depending on your model year and type of coach, you either had a "converter/Charger" or, you have an "Inverter/Charger". But, it's the chassis batteries that have been the problem. Many coach manufacturers simply did not provide a means for chassis batteries to be charged on shore power. Some did. Some actually put in systems to handle both sets of batteries while on shore power.
Scott
The one in my 05 Journey is a Demensions ,
Standby Power system
Invertet , Charger , Fast Transfer
with an inverter output of 2000W
Old 11-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

It's actually very easy to find out whether or not you have an auxiliary chassis battery charger already installed. If you have the most basic of tools recommended for RV'ers. And that's a Digital Voltmeter (DVM). They are under $10 these days.

Just run this test, connect the DVM to the chassis battery. With the RV plugged into shore power, and the engine NOT running, if you read 13 Volt to 15 Volt you already have an auxiliary chassis battery charging system. This could take the form of a beefed up solar panel on the roof (the standard optional 8W OEM solar panel is usually inadequate), a Trik-L-Start, or a BIRD.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries