Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 06:05 AM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

Your refrigerator will not run on battery mode without the engine running.
Joe Windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:06 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Windmill View Post
Your refrigerator will not run on battery mode without the engine running.
Yes, but the question is how many 100 watt solar panels are necessary to allow the refrigerator to run on the battery indefinitely.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Winnebego 34T

We have solar panels on board and when I noticed that they weren't charging as expected I took it in for service found the batteries were failing. Before you add more panels check your batteries and controller. We love our panels
Lucyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

I know this doesn't help answer the OP's questions but why did Winnebago switch to a DC refrigerator? Is this true of all new models? It doesn't look like there's an option for a 120v/LPG model. The 120v/LPG refrigerator makes much more sense to me. I'm on my third RV with them and, so far, they've worked great and I don't have to worry about battery power. Their LPG usage is so low, it's not an issue either.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

34T Solei

We were advised to switch from 4 12volt to 6 6volt batteries when we added the second panel. Longer amp hours and more efficient
Old 11-24-2018, 06:35 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I know this doesn't help answer the OP's questions but why did Winnebago switch to a DC refrigerator? Is this true of all new models? It doesn't look like there's an option for a 120v/LPG model. The 120v/LPG refrigerator makes much more sense to me. I'm on my third RV with them and, so far, they've worked great and I don't have to worry about battery power. Their LPG usage is so low, it's not an issue either.
I don't disagree with your comment but I also wanted to say that the DC only fridge has some big advantages, at least for us.

It is considerably larger than what we had in our older RVs,
It has separate refrigerator and freezer compartments,
It gets cold very, very fast, and
It works properly regardless of whether or not the RV is level.

I do understand the drawbacks, and I sometimes miss the LP setting and I do worry about our batteries being able to keep up with the need, but for some people, like us who mostly have shore power when camping, this fridge is noticeably better.

What I do not understand is why Winnebago did not offer users a choice.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I don't disagree with your comment but I also wanted to say that the DC only fridge has some big advantages, at least for us.

It is considerably larger than what we had in our older RVs,
It has separate refrigerator and freezer compartments,
It gets cold very, very fast, and
It works properly regardless of whether or not the RV is level.

I do understand the drawbacks, and I sometimes miss the LP setting and I do worry about our batteries being able to keep up with the need, but for some people, like us who mostly have shore power when camping, this fridge is noticeably better.

What I do not understand is why Winnebago did not offer users a choice.
Thanks for the good answer. I, too, wonder why there's no choice. It's a non-starter for us, given the amount of time we're off the grid.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #28
Site Team

I don't know why there is not a choice unless it's a sizing issue - or because the RV is "propane-free" so adding a LPG fridge is not an option.

We have some friends with an all-electric Class B Sprinter Van. So they don't have a propane tank at all on their RV.

Maybe dealers have seen a big demand for RVs with DC Compressor fridges and they are driving the changes at WBGO and other manufacturers???
Old 11-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Re: running the refrigerator off solar

I asked my husband about the question of will the refrigerator run off solar with the engine off.
He said he verified that question and was advised that as long as there is electricity to the inverter ... ie solar input AND the batteries are staying at a certain percentage the refrigerator can run off the batteries. There is a 'safey' switch that will not allow discharge past a certain amount. If you need he will look it up again.
However, this is specific to our 2015 Itasca Solei. Double check for your make or model
Old 11-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

I believe that is "normal" for RVs. I never heard of a refrigerator only running when the engine is running. Maybe someboy did a mod.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #31
Site Team

Yes and no.

As long as there is enough battery power in the battery bank for the inverter to run the fridge then, yes, the fridge will run.

Solar isn't a guarantee. There are too many variables. Like shade and night, etc.

Does your RV have a fail safe that starts the generator or engine of the RV if that's your generator to keep your batteries charged enough to invert enough DC to AC to run the fridge? If it does, then you should be OK.

But keep in mind ALL OF THIS is so variable that there are no guarantees.

I'm sure what your husband meant was normally, under most conditions, that you are probably assured that the fridge will have enough power. It's not magic. There are certainly instances where your fridge could cease to operate due to lack of power. Even plugged in... the power can go out.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I believe that is "normal" for RVs. I never heard of a refrigerator only running when the engine is running. Maybe someboy did a mod.
There are 3 way fridges (12V/gas/120V) available. Usually in the smaller 3 & 4 cu ft models. Some of the models have a wire which can be attached to the motorhomes ignition so that the fridge will only work on 12V while the engine is running and presumably the 12V is coming from the engine to keep the house batteries charged. The 12V heater in the fridge pulls a lot of current so you typically don't want to just run off the battery.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel