Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
The way you camp, you need a generator to recharge those big lithium battery banks you need to run the A/C from an inverter.

If you can save $4,800 by not buying a coach with a generator, do so and put your own Onan 2,800 watt inverter generator in for less than $3,000 for the generator, maybe $500-1,000 to install. It should fit right into the space where a QG 4000 would have gone. If you wait a year, maybe less, Onan will have the 4,000 watt inverter generator available.

But you probably don't need more than 2,800 watts. That should start and run a 15A A/C just fine but you can't run any other big loads such as a microwave at the same time.

The new Onan inverter generator gets high marks for quietness. See

David
Yes. I saw that earlier and it is the reason I started to think about replacing the generator. The quiet generator really seemed quiet.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:28 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
BORDERS

In my opinion the current administration can not admit that this is just another disease. They spent the last 6 months beating up on the previous administration telling everyone how their lack of concern caused all of those deaths. They can not now say “Oh. They were right and we were wrong”, even if that is truly the case.

I think this stuff will continue until they can find some face-saving way to end it all. And it may go on, in one form or another, for another 6 months or a year,. Perhaps longer. Politicians can not seem to find any way to say “I was wrong” gracefully.

IMHO

FORD CHASSIS

Ford has increased the tow weight of their Transit chassis to 4000 pounds so, with a little judicious care in loading an RV, you can tow a light Jeep.

Our 2018 Fuse can only tow about 3100 pounds and we tow a Honda Fit on a dolly. The combined weight is just about 3100 pounds but we pack lightly and can probably tow 3300-3400 pounds without an issue.

(p.s. where can I find a "light" Jeep? Wranglers are all fatties)
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post

(p.s. where can I find a "light" Jeep? Wranglers are all fatties)
Our Jeep Liberty (they no longer make this line) was both 4 wheel drive and considered a "light" Jeep since it weighed in at about 3950 pounds.

When we traded our Liberty we looked at a new 2 door Jeep Wrangler and could get the weight down to about 4000 pounds if we removed the top and the doors and used the plastic and canvas versions instead, but it was still way too heavy for our 2018 Fuse to pull and we bought a Honda Fit instead. The 2 door Wrangler would have been OK for the new Transit chassis.

Still, all Jeeps are relatively heavy since they use actual metal in building them.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:57 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
The new Onan inverter generator gets high marks for quietness. See

David
I noticed that they did not do the sound check inside the RV. I wonder why? And I wonder how much of the noise reduction had to do with improved sound insulation and how much had to do with improved design.

Still, I have been calling around trying to find out where I can buy one of these to use instead of the 4K one that comes on the LTV and Regency RVs. Don't know if we will get a new RV but if we do I want to be knowledgeable about what choices we have to try to keep the noise down. I can only run the AC for so long on batteries.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:12 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Our Jeep Liberty (they no longer make this line) was both 4 wheel drive and considered a "light" Jeep since it weighed in at about 3950 pounds.

When we traded our Liberty we looked at a new 2 door Jeep Wrangler and could get the weight down to about 4000 pounds if we removed the top and the doors and used the plastic and canvas versions instead, but it was still way too heavy for our 2018 Fuse to pull and we bought a Honda Fit instead. The 2 door Wrangler would have been OK for the new Transit chassis.

Still, all Jeeps are relatively heavy since they use actual metal in building them.
Truer words were never spoken.....
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

found the price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
No price? I checked AZW&S website - "email or call us for pricing" which is, of course, subject to change. If they're reasonably priced, I'd have another look.
Other than that unknown, they look OK, and the 200Ah in a fairly small package could be very useful. I saw a warning on the case "do not use for ignition" so I'm wondering what their max continuous and burst mode output numbers might be?

One site has the 200ah one for a bit over $1800.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden13 View Post
One site has the 200ah one for a bit over $1800.
I know little about the internals of Lithium batteries and what I do know mostly stems from the Will Prowse videos on Youtube, so consider that when reading my comment.

My understanding is that the basic cells that make up these batteries are all pretty much the same with the difference in price being due to different BMS devices and construction. If that is true my question is how the builders can somehow fit enough extra cells in one of these batteries to get 200AH out of it in the same size package that other manufacturers use and get only 100AH. If the cells are basically the same in Battle Born, Lithionics, ReLion, Lion and these Discover Blue batteries how is it possible to get so much extra power?

For example, Battle Born sells a GC2 size battery that is 12 volts, 100 AH. If the cells are all the same size how can Discover double the number of cells in the same size package? I doubt that BB is leaving half of the battery case empty.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to believe that I can get 200AH out of a golf cart size battery as that would allow me to get 400AH in place of 2 golf cart batteries. I just am a bit cautious.

Perhaps someone here can explain how they can do this as I would love to believe that it is improved technology and not jamming stuff together in an unsafe way.