Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Monthly Generator run

I HAVE A 2003 Itasca Sunrise Work Horse Chassis and run my gen for about one hour every month under a load as recommended. My question is why run it under a load, from what I understand the reason for running it is to keep the gas from gelling up.
ewaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It is also to exercise your generator and regulator along with your brushes and such. Best is to start with no load, let it warm up, apply load for 1/2 to 1 hour, remove load to allow to cool a bit and then shut off. You should not start or stop your generator under load. It is very hard on regulator.

Ask me how I know!
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yup, you need to exercise the generator - not just the engine that powers the generator.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

YEP need to keep the Stator (generator end) good and clean, basically burning off the varnish which is a good thing.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It is also to exercise your generator and regulator along with your brushes and such. Best is to start with no load, let it warm up, apply load for 1/2 to 1 hour, remove load to allow to cool a bit and then shut off. You should not start or stop your generator under load. It is very hard on regulator.

Ask me how I know!
That is exactly the way I do it.

Thanks
ewaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I probably shouldn't say anything. But o-well. My understanding is that brushes are made of some form of carbon. They in turn rub up against a copper armature, which gives us power, more or less. I'm pretty sure carbon doesn't need any form of exercise. Also copper doesn't need any exercise. I have never heard of varnish forming in less then 30 days. A brand new generator may sit around for a year before sold and run.
Ask any dealer if they start and exercise their "new" generators every month.
Staybuilt in the fuel tank should keep the fuel okay for a few winter months or a few months of inactivity. Some generators have a small screw on the carb float bowl that allows one to drain the fuel from the bowl. Only on a cold generator..
Rockysvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You may be right but it is a matter of choice I guess. I have had to have repairs done to my generator once and part of it was the cleaning of the brushes/armature. Guess it makes me feel better to work it.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewaldo View Post
I HAVE A 2003 Itasca Sunrise Work Horse Chassis and run my gen for about one hour every month under a load as recommended. My question is why run it under a load, from what I understand the reason for running it is to keep the gas from gelling up.
Gasoline does not gel up, Diesel does, Gasoline varnishes the ports and cloggs them.

However the generator needs to be exercised too.. I once bought a small portable generator When it was new the distortion of the wave form was so great that down-stream devices complained.

After I pumped a tank of gas through the unit powering some lights (about 30% load) everything was happy.

Brushes. and slip rings get nasty without a workout.

Which reminds me.

I fill up the tank Thursday Scheduled exercise is Friday.. Good timing.

Tags
generator