Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Minnie Wiring Coax wiring

Does anyone know what type of Coax is used in the Minnie Winnie (2017 31D)?
I see that there are different types...

RG-6/U used widely for cable tv

RG-11 higher gauge and used for cable tv,HDTV, TV antennas

etc (many other types).

My RV is beautifully set up for OTA or cable tv at the park but not dish. Asked a tech guy about adapting my unit so I could use DISH when OTA and cable are not options, he said it would require a different Coax which would mean running cable through windows etc, something I see many do and I am not interested in.

I was hoping to connect a DISH set up to the Cable TV input on the outside of my RV and somehow use it that way.

I also want to avoid re-wiring my RV.

In the end, I can live with the current configuration but would like to learn more about it.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I believe it is RG-6. I have a 2019 31G and use the existing cable for satellite. The key is to split the existing cable before the antennae booster with a diplexor. This is the one I used:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Asp...lexer/24808633
Old 01-20-2020, 07:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Two things we often run into is the guy doesn't really know or he wants to bum the whole idea for some reason! You just asked one of THOSE.
I use the builtin coax for all service, OTA, cable and Dish. I have an outside connection meant for cable but it was convenient to use for the dish as well. I added a simple switch like used for game play on TV, added it to use cable outside when one way and through the Dish WAlley when switched the other way. Placed the Wally in an unused space above the frig where I can flip it pretty easy as I set up. Most of the time it will be the dish but I want the option to use cable if it fits.
Tv signals can be fussy but not very much when talking coax.Rvs have short runs and far less interference that we might expect in homes on large runs.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Morich, did you need to run a new coax cable between your new switch and the Dish Wally? How did route the new cable? Does it support one or two TVs?
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Coax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
Does anyone know what type of Coax is used in the Minnie Winnie (2017 31D)?
I see that there are different types...

RG-6/U used widely for cable tv

RG-11 higher gauge and used for cable tv,HDTV, TV antennas

etc (many other types).

My RV is beautifully set up for OTA or cable tv at the park but not dish. Asked a tech guy about adapting my unit so I could use DISH when OTA and cable are not options, he said it would require a different Coax which would mean running cable through windows etc, something I see many do and I am not interested in.

I was hoping to connect a DISH set up to the Cable TV input on the outside of my RV and somehow use it that way.

I also want to avoid re-wiring my RV.

In the end, I can live with the current configuration but would like to learn more about it.
You might here from techs lots of mumbo jumbo about rewiring, but at the end of the day, it's just a cable. I had a cable guy say to me that different cables serve different purpose, and when it came down for antennas, any RG 6 would be suffice. Just make sure your terminals are correctly installed. I had your same issue and got it solved with RG6. Also installed an antenna buster and works wonders.
rphoto2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Morich, did you need to run a new coax cable between your new switch and the Dish Wally? How did route the new cable? Does it support one or two TVs?
I only run one TV in this motorhome. I did not run new coax and really have no idea which it is as I have never had problems with the type but far more often with the connections or stray interference of some sort like LED lighting.
For routing, I was able to locate a connection in the existing coax, add the switch at that point and just add a short section on to the TV by pulling the interior panels off inside the cabinets and fishing it through the hollow space.
What looks like solid cabinet is often just a sandwich of really thin plywood (1/8"? ) that can be removed and replaced pretty easy if one takes some time to ease the staples out. It may give a 1-1 1/2 open space for wires.
Guessing here but if I were to want to add a second TV just as a second place, not for watching different channels on each, I would start with a simple switch between the output of the Wally and the two TVs.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
2019 Minnie+ 26RBSS

Dish/cable/antenna wire

Ditto to the rest of the responses. RG6, which is an 18AWG solid wire with mesh shield around a center core, is perfectly adequate for satellite. I used an RG6 for DirectTV and also for cable highspeed (200Mb) internet. I have only seen RG11 used for underground highspeed internet/cable transmission when speeds up to 1 GB are expected. As noted, the key is getting the appropriate splitter.
mthead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Which coax is needed is likely to be set on several factors like speed and strength of the signal, how far it has to travel and what type of interference can be expected. So they set the specs to meet the "normal" use. But when we look at RG6 that is more likely designed for home or industrial use, we may be looking at specs to make it work for a few thousand feet and through all kinds of junk making noises to degrade the signal. So if we are running a signal in an RV it isn't going to go very far and there isn't much there to cause problems. Maybe some LEDs, fluorescent lights, motor noise, etc. but nothing very strong or hard to figure out.
So it may not be technically recommended, we know that it is rarely enough problem to go to the trouble of changing out coax as we change uses, if we are only speaking of minor things like TV, internet, etc.

Tags
wiring