Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie Water Heater troubleshooting

The water heater on our 1808FBS Micro Minnie works on gas but doesn't work on 110v shore power. I believe I should see voltage between points A and B on the attached drawing. Is that correct? There is continuity across all of the breakers in the electrical panel. I am not going to tear into a brand new trailer to trace the wiring hand over hand. Is there anything else I should check before I take it into the shop?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WH wiring diagram.pdf (298.4 KB, 60 views)
DnDcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No, I would NOT expect full voltage to test at those two points if the contacts are closed, so you have to know what is up with those.

I would propose testing this in a bit different way. One big point of failure on electrical heating is the element as it takes a lot of stress as it swells/shrinks as it heats/ cools.
So I might first set the meter on resistance or ohms scale. The one with the funny upside down horseshoe? Tough the meter leads together to make sure it is all set right and get near zero resistance from one lead to the other. That tests the test first!

Then with power off the the heater, move the probes to each side of the element, like where it is labeled white and black, maybe? The test reading is not too critical and may be up near several thousand ohms but it is usually either good enough or totally bad and you get no reading. Some read really high so try switching to higher meter reading levels if you get something strange looking. All you really want to know is that there is a good path through the element from one end to the other!

Just my method to test the element first but then do test the voltage goes through right.

I might go one probe to ground somewhere, either the neutral or some frame item and then the other lead to the point "A" to see the 110 VAC is getting to the board, then if I can find and reach where it comes out of the relay (like where it says black?), I want to see 110VAC there and if all okay this far, you are seeing voltage go to the board, to the relay and through it and getting to the element. The last step is to see the voltage is getting THROUGH the element by checking where it says white.

And a big point to keep in mind is how much corrosion we get on things that we store outside and may not use for a few months. So all those little quik-connects are always a good place to wiggle and look at them for being clean. You may get voltage all the way through everything but if that last little plug is corroded, we miss the real problem!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much for the detailed reply Richard. I especially appreciate your suggestions for troubleshooting.
Dave
DnDcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater