Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Micro Minnie LED interior ceiling light

Just bought a 2019 Micro Minnie. One ceiling light is out. How do you replace the led strip? I see that led strips are for sale all over, but don't know how to replace one. Thanks for any help.
aldendavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If it's new or low mileage, it may be under warranty. Contact a dealer first.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, but it is no longer under warranty. We have to figure out these minor repairs ourselves. Has anyone replaced an led light strip?
Old 01-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy LED ceiling light 2019 Micro Minnie

Does anyone know what brand led strip light is used in a 2019 micro minnie? I would like to either replace the led strip or replace the whole light fixture - can't find any light that looks like the oval ones that are already there.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I might want to check some things first as an LED strip is a pretty hardy item, while there are lots of small points which might make one fail to light. Some info on the stirp migh help. To me, an LED strip is a lineup of individual LED on some type of backing to hold them together. Is that what you have or something else?
Other points might be looked over as potential problems. Connections in wiring are a big item to think about as trouble, but switches, fuses and other things might also give trouble.
Do you happen to have a meter or some other way to look for power getting to the lights that have failed?
My experience with LED is that one of more in a strip may fail but rarely does the whole strip go out if it is getting power.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I might want to check some things first as an LED strip is a pretty hardy item, while there are lots of small points which might make one fail to light. Some info on the stirp migh help. To me, an LED strip is a lineup of individual LED on some type of backing to hold them together. Is that what you have or something else?
Other points might be looked over as potential problems. Connections in wiring are a big item to think about as trouble, but switches, fuses and other things might also give trouble.
Do you happen to have a meter or some other way to look for power getting to the lights that have failed?
My experience with LED is that one of more in a strip may fail but rarely does the whole strip go out if it is getting power.
Thanks Morich. I used a tester and it seems the wiring is the problem. I did not know that usually not all the lights on an led strip don't go out at once. Will check further into the wiring.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

On off switch

Hello,

This happened to my when I bought my new Minnie in 2016. :( the dealer actually changed out the light !!!!! But it wasn’t the LED...

Inside the panel where your controls are for water, battery, awning etc... next to the switch for the outside light is another switch. If it’s off then the off and on in the actual light will not light. Try both before you take out the LED light
Good luck!!!
Atadnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

That was the firs thing I ripped out of our trailer after we picked it up. replaced all lights to a Warm 2700K color LED lights. No idea why anyone wants to sit in hospital style lighting while camping.

Was a bit of a soldering affair, but kept the original fixtures and pulled the "cold" LED's out.

If you're around London Ontario you can have few for your repair no charge.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atadnomad View Post
Hello,

This happened to my when I bought my new Minnie in 2016. :( the dealer actually changed out the light !!!!! But it wasn’t the LED...

Inside the panel where your controls are for water, battery, awning etc... next to the switch for the outside light is another switch. If it’s off then the off and on in the actual light will not light. Try both before you take out the LED light
Good luck!!!
Dear Atadnomad, Can't thank you enough! That was the problem. We were prepared to take out the LED light entirely, but it is burning brightly now. Wonder why Winnebago didn't label those switches?

Do you have any other tips for newbie trailer owners? We have graduated from 15 years of pop-up camping, but this is a whole new ball game.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I think the logic on that switch was to have quick access to light when entering the trailer, I actually switched that switch around with the awning light switch. (I know confusing) but made more sense to me to have it that way. the switch on the side the light is on.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I agree. Once we knew the awning lights and that one light inside were on the same switch, I figured it must be to turn a light on at once, and not enter a dark trailer. Thanks to all of you who replied. Maybe I can help someone else when I learn more.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I’m so happy ! That’s great. And the bathroom is the same.... below the sink is a switch and it will do the same with the light over the mirror
And I do have one more thing that could be for another forum ... sorry to those of you who already know.
If you have a tankless water heater like my 1706FB does, and you run the hot water on high for a long time in the summer, occasionally and it’s only happened twice thank goodness, it will trigger something inside for safety and you won’t get hot water next time. When you take off the panel- there is a really tiny white almost not even looking like a button - but it’s a reset. It barely goes in, almost unnoticeable. I hit that and saved a ton of cash- I had hot water again.

There is also a dial on the water heater for summer and winter settings to control the element to get nice hot water fast in the winter!!
Atadnomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, led, light