Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I would like to buy those plastic battery boxes to put all my batteries in. I know West Marine carries them but the question I have is, has anyone done this and if so is there enough room both on the top and bottom battery trays? Just looking at present setup it looks like it should work. Also, were you able to use the lids since the tray slides and the cables move?
Thanks folks for your feedback.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I would like to buy those plastic battery boxes to put all my batteries in. I know West Marine carries them but the question I have is, has anyone done this and if so is there enough room both on the top and bottom battery trays? Just looking at present setup it looks like it should work. Also, were you able to use the lids since the tray slides and the cables move?
Thanks folks for your feedback.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I bought three for the house batterioes at Wal-Mart. I left the lids off and have the battery filler system installed. I cut some small notches in the sides for the adjoining cables top fit through. Seems to have solved the corrosion problem.

My two chassis batteries are maintenance free and I didn't put them in boxes since they haven't been creating any problems.

I used the straps that came with the boxes to hold everything dfown. I felt it would be a ton of work to get the bolts in place to hold everything down.

Three Wal-Mart boxes will fit on the top tray but it is a tight fit.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

During my boating days, on both my power and sail boats I used the provided battery boxes. The boxes with their lids more or less protected the batteries from stuff going adrift and shorting out across the terminals. They were also used as the primary method to hold the batteries in place. They did a good job but they were also, for me a hassle, as out of sight out of mind.

After some battery failures I got more attentive and learned how to eventually eliminate corrosion and acid boil over by sealing the terminal connections, avoiding over discharge and keeping the batteries charged. What I discovered about myself is that the better organized and cleaned I kept the battery compartment the more likely I would continue the upkeep and pretty much eliminated battery failure surprise!

I transferred this maintenance process to our MH and have gotten the same good results. I am not suggesting that the battery boxes won't help but if you are having corrosion and boil over then something is not correct: terminals not sealed, batteries or charger. So the battery box may contain the mess but I am thinking you may be better off trying to find the crux of the problem.

Now if it is "dirt" that you are trying to prevent incrusting and burying your batteries then I would be pretty interested in knowing how your project turns out. There is not a trip that we take which doesn't result in a new and deeper desert on the battery tops. So far I have not figured any way to seal the back side of the battery compartment sliding trays from the engine compartment because of all the wiring. So a battery box for each battery with lids might be a good prevent the dirt solution. Or better yet, one big box for the three house batteries and one big box for the two engine batteries. I think I am going to look into the boating and truck world's to see if I can find a multiple battery box.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Chippysgt- From what you described, that is exactly what I was looking for. Question- I understand your leaving the secure bolts off and the hassel of them but how did you use the straps to anchor the boxes? Are the boxes just sitting in there? Thanks
SteveG- No corrosion problem, just wanted to keep them clean and in case of future corrosion the boxes would contain the leakage. I really like your thought on one big box. That is a great idea. Please let me know what you come up with. Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I was having corrision problems with my house batteries ...

I removed the batteries ... used a wire brush and ... and painted with two coats of farm implement enamel ... then I installed battery mats under the batteries ...

URL for battery mats

As I recall I needed 4 mats to completely cover the bottom of the tray in my '04 Journey.

I have done a better job of maintaining the water level in my batteries so I have less boil over ... but I have had no further corrosion
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I went over to the MH today and looked at the battery trays. As the batteries are installed it is a pretty tight fit. Adding a box might not be possible. Maybe just a cover could be rigged.

The best web site I have found so far is
http://www.alliedbattery.com/boxes.htm

To illustrate size, the following photo is of my starter batteries after I remounted many of the cables to a bus bar. Even so, it is still a tight space.

As soon as I get some dimensions together I'll call Allied and see if they have any ideas.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Steve and Skigramp for sharing those ideas. I know I have room on the starting batteries for boxes and it will be a little tight on the house batts. but looking at the link to Allied that long box appears like it would do perfectly if it were longer. I guess if all else fails, I use the matts as it will provide some protection but would not keep the tops clean. Steve, like the buss bar. Great idea. Your compartment is super clean and neat. Good job