Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Maxxfans quit working

We have a 2017 Vista 27N and a couple of days ago both of the Maxxfans quit working. One is in the galley area and one is in the bedroom. Everything else seems to be OK and the failures were pretty much simultaneous.
Normally they work on shore power or house batteries.
I have looked at all the wiring diagrams I can find to see where there might be some commonality of the 12V and 120V power but no luck.
Any suggestions for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated!
TangoCharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:59 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

The max fans are 12 volt fans. I would look to see if one of the 12 volt re-settable breakers has popped or a fuse has blown.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That was the first thing I did. And there is nothing on the fuse panel that identifies a likely circuit. The odd thing is that nothing else seams to be effected. I can't imagine that both fans would fail at the same time.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you remove the 'beauty ring' around the fans on the inside, which is probably held in place by four screws, you could then check the voltage on the incoming wires.
That would tell you for sure if the problem is the fan itself (12 volts in the wires) or somewhere upstream (no voltage in the wires).
Knowing that would help you to know what the next step is.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'll have to check the wiring when we get home but I am fairly certain it is a voltage problem. Not likely that 2 fans would die at the same time, they are pretty much just a coil of wire. The challenge then will be figuring out where the wiring goes. Without a wiring diagram there isn't much hope of finding a fault point.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:21 AM   #6
Just Trying to Help

TangoCharly-

Sometimes it pays to look at diagram sets for earlier years of the same model. The 2014 Vista 27T set has more drawings in it than the 2017 set. Winnebago can, and does, make changes year-to-year, but sometimes the older info applies to a newer coach.

According to the "Body, 12V Wiring Diagram," (page 12 of the PDF, sheet 5 zone D-11 of the drawing) the ceiling vents are fed by circuit "JB." That circuit runs to the "12V Panel" (per page 8 of the PDF, sheet 4 zone D-7 of the drawing). The drawing says there is a three-pin connector there, green in color. Circuit "JB" also feeds the furnace and thermostat, so if the problem is at the 12V panel those should not be working, too.

According to the 2017 Vista LX Operator's Manual, page 6-13, the 12V fuses for the 27N are in the Power Center. You may find one marked "Furnace" there.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

It's possible that the breaker is bad and, even though it appears to be set, it isn't completing the circuit.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sheet numbers and zones, music to my ears! I was a machinist turned shop planner/estimator for many years so I appreciate your precise location tips. I looked at the 2017 diagram set but didn't think to look at an older set, great idea.
Thanks so much for the well thought out and complete response, exactly what I had hoped for. I'll follow up when I get the chance do dig into this.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Update. I had the dealer check the fans since I had the unit in for service anyway. They are saying that there is power to both fans, and that the fans just stopped working at the same time. I call BS. They want to replace both fans at a cost of over 1K. Sounds like black box troubleshooting to me.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #10

All 12 volt items always work on a 12 volt feed....always. When you are plugged in to shore power your converter feeds those items instead of the batteries.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoCharly View Post
Update. I had the dealer check the fans since I had the unit in for service anyway. They are saying that there is power to both fans, and that the fans just stopped working at the same time. I call BS. They want to replace both fans at a cost of over 1K. Sounds like black box troubleshooting to me.
At first blush, I'd say BS as well but, I suppose, if both fans were on, some form of 12v power surge or other irregularity could have caused the fans' electronics to fail.

I'd want to confirm that both are, indeed getting power myself and, if they are, trace it through the fan's circuitry. I suspect that, if you can isolate a failed part or parts, they can be replaced for much less than $1,000.

I you or a friend are physically capable of climbing on the roof, fan replacement is a fairly simple DIY job.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If you can get at the connector near the fan, why not 'hot wire' the fan to see for sure if the fan is operational or not. Also since you are right there put a volt meter on the supply side of the connector to determine in 12vdc is present.
Stan
Old 05-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Ceiling fans are very easy to install or replace if it proves necessary. All you really need is butyl tape to hold to the roof and a couple of screws. A tube of caulking over screws and around the sides and you will be done. I would also call MaxxFans to see what they have to say. It is definitely not a $1000 job. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I can see a dealer charging that much. A high end fan can be $290, times two is over $600 including tax. Add a couple of hours labor for removal, roof clean-up and replacement at $150/hr plus caulking, etc. and you're easily close to $1,000.

That's why I do everything I can myself, even if I have to buy a new tool (oh no!) to do it.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #15
Itasca Owners

Its also possible that the problem is not with supply, but with a problem with the ground. I would see if I could get the fans to run directly from a battery. That at least lets you know if the problem is with the fan itself or circuitry.

Assuming that the fan works, if you can run the fan with an alternate ground wire, the problem is with the ground. If you can run the fan with a direct supply and the existing ground wire, then it is a supply issue.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan