Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Marker Lights: incandescent to LED

I have a 2014 Winnebago View. The original GloBrite marker/clearance lights are failing and I can’t find replacements but I’ve found Optronics lights that will work when I drill new mounting holes in the light fixture. The original incandescent light fixtures have two white wires and in addition there is a strip of metal on the base of the fixture that connects the light socket to one of the mounting holes. The new Optronics LED fixtures have a black and white wires but no strip of metal. My question is about the metal strip. Why doesn’t the LED fixture have one? Is it uncessessary with LED lights?
Robwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Yes, it is.

However, you need to ground the white wire, and the BLACK wire is DC positive.

This is reversed from the common red positive and black negative 12 VDC color coding, and more like AC house wiring color coding.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Yes, it is.

However, you need to ground the white wire, and the BLACK wire is DC .
Mine was the reverse of that, at least at one location where I installed a camera. Not sure where they crossed it up. IMHO you need to test.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

With that amount of trouble, may I ask what the problem getting just bulbs to fit the old fixtures. I wanted to change out all the bulbs on my 2015 Vista and had little trouble finding LED bulbs to fit. Was there something strange about the shape or size?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yeah, I kinda went down a rabbit hole on this project! The replacement LED bulbs were quite expensive. It was much cheaper to replace the entire fixture.
Robwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'[m sure we had different projects then as I was able to do the inside lights and got 20 bulbs for something around $3 on e-bay. They were the simple wedge shaped base and just press in like the old bulbs. Only headache was they are not marked for polarity and had to turn about 90 % of them over. Since there are only two ways to go I would have thought I could get about half of them right!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I found replacement lights at etrailer, they are not quite the right colour but you can replace all 5 if you do not like the color. They are close to the same size.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...CL0030ABB.html

Tags
clearance, led, light, lights, marker