Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2020, 11:59 PM   #1
Let's kill some bugs!

Marinco exterior power connector install on Vista

I've read a few posts about others having a Marinco weatherproof connector for 50A connection installed on their Vista for an exterior connection to shore power. I finally got time to install mine, after sitting the kit on my bench for about a year. It's wasn't a hard as I thought, it took about 90min.

With the stock 2018 Vista 32YE cord setup, I had to put the heavy duty 25' shoreline cord in the same compartment as the dump hose. This was a huge problem, as the cord and the dump hose is really tough to fit in the small compartment (although doable with patience). I prefer to keep the dump hose connected to the dump pipe, like I have done on my previous Fleetwood Pace Arrow for 20 yrs. It's just too convenient to give up that luxury. With the right dump method, it works great, and makes the dump process fast and clean. The problem is having enough room to keep the hose connected, it's just too cramped.

First I had to select the spot to mount the Marinco connector, which was about 3" to the right of the gas filler. Selecting the spot was easy enough, but drilling the hole was emotionally draining. It's gotta be right, so I bought the right hole saw for the connector after thinking through the install process.

I confirmed the existing shore-line cable was adequate for weather and ozone rot to use to connect the Marinco to the electrical box behind the RV body, so I simply whacked off the cord (hacksaw), leaving about 7' of cable. To feed the cable through the plastic wall of the dump compartment, I found a "CHASE NIPPLE" at Home Depot, 1.25" ID to mitigate any sharp edges to the cable (1.0625 diameter) when going through the plastic wall. The threaded end of this metal "chase nipple" got a plastic collar end screwed on it for interior "edge stress relief". That piece of the puzzle, learning the name of the fitting to install for the "feed-through" was something a relative helped advise, as he's an electrician.

After I decided on all the specific details of the install, and gathered all of the parts and tools, it was a quick install, after taking a deep breath as I drilled the hole in my pride a joy. Whew, the hole drill was a piece of cake, no surprises.

Then, drilling the hole in the dump compartment wall was a bit easier, matching the chase nipple thread diameter.

The Marinco connector was a no brainer for the connections. The 4 wires in the cable are color coded, red, white, green and black. Each connector has the same colors on each terminal connection, so it's impossible to get it wrong.

I took the remaining 18' of cable that I whacked off the cord and installed the female end of the kit, which took about 15min, simple stuff, but the wires are huge conductors when the installation is stripped. It can be a bit difficult to manipulate the bare wires into each terminal clamp, but doable with an appropriate set of needle nose pliers.

I'm really happy with the outcome. Being able to unplug my cord from the RV is a luxury, especially at home where I usually keep it plugged up for battery topping. If I need to take the RV somewhere local for gas or propane, etc. I just unplug the RV at the Marinco connector and leave it laying on the slab, ready to re-plug when I return. I no longer have to roll up that stiff cord into a small compartment that's too small, just to get gas.

Maybe this story will help others do theirs DIY.

Here's some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marinco connector.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	172866   Click image for larger version

Name:	feed through.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	172867  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chase.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	172868   Click image for larger version

Name:	collar.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	172869  

John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:15 AM   #2
Site Team

NICE!!!! I had considered doing that same thing but never got around to it. (Mine is a 2010 32K). We installed a macerator that has an always connected hose but, thankfully, a bit smaller than a normal dump hose (which I have but have never used). I always thought it was odd that the compartment was so small. My "fix" for the electric side was to install a door on the floor of the compartment. I can roll up the electric and then drop what I need out that side without going over to the wet side of the bay through that (too) small hole.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Vita 24P

great job, good explanation, I would add some dielectric grease to the plug to prevent corrosion and arching.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Is this a problem that has been corrected on newer model Vistas. On the Adventurer, at least for pre-2018, the power cord and transfer switch are located in the rear-most compartment on the driver’s side.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Is this a problem that has been corrected on newer model Vistas.
No, I don't think so.

The dump plumbing and electrical are in the same compartment, too small for both the hose and 50A cord, IMO. The thick 50A cord is difficult to wind up in the limited space. If it was a 30A cord it wouldn't be such a problem, as those are more flexible and easy to wind up in a small space.

I may even try some of this super flex 50A cord at some point.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:30 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The 30 amp version of this could help me out, too. As you noted, there is limited room in the utility bay initially. Now I have mounted the Hughes Autoformer in there, as well as my water tank filler jug pump/spare water pump. I'm going to have to think on this.

Thanks for the idea.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

An absolutely, horrible, dismal design on Winnebago’s part with the power cord for the 32YE. It took me a month to decide to buy this motorhome because of the utility compartment. As a part of the deal, I had the dealer install the 50amp inlet. Unfortunately, despite my specifying where to the put the inlet, it was installed directly below the fuel fill. Probably not a problem. I’ve never filled up the motorhome with the electric connected. But I installed a second inlet away from the fuel fill.

I had them save the severed cord for me. It actually was about 35’ long. I cut the cord in half and installed the male end. I rarely am more than 18 feet from the power. Much easier to handle.I made the other half into an extension cord.

Works well.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the same model and plan to make the modification this spring. What size drill did you use to make the hole in the RV wall?

Thanks
2MPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I used a 2-3/4” hole saw. A bit larger than standard in most kits. I resisted the advice to drill as large as could and then ream it out.

The exterior plug-in is an amazing improvement.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #10
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MPA View Post
I have the same model and plan to make the modification this spring. What size drill did you use to make the hole in the RV wall?

Thanks
There is a link in my original post for the hole saw, it's 2 3/8 for the kit I referenced, also with a link.. It's a pretty easy install, but finding the correct screws in stainless was a chore. McFadden Dale hardware had them.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

These always worked great on my sailboats. I never understood why RV's went the other direction. It was really a pain with my 25' TT which had only a small 6" x 6" door that I had to stuff the cord through into a very tight space. It's not as big a problem with my 35' MH but it's still a pain.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #12
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers View Post
I used a 2-3/4” hole saw. A bit larger than standard in most kits. I resisted the advice to drill as large as could and then ream it out.

The exterior plug-in is an amazing improvement.
That's the wrong size hole saw for the Marinco connector I installed. Mine required 2 3/8" hole.

Tags
power, install