Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I am wondering if 2000 Adventurer 35U generator came with a cover? When the compartment door is opened on my unit the generator stares ya in the face, no cover. I see on the newer coaches there is a cover and If one is avaliable I will endavor to purchase one. If it came with no cover then I wonder if there is a way to make it quieter. I dont want to insulate the compartment without knowing that additional heat might be a problem down the road someday.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am wondering if 2000 Adventurer 35U generator came with a cover? When the compartment door is opened on my unit the generator stares ya in the face, no cover. I see on the newer coaches there is a cover and If one is avaliable I will endavor to purchase one. If it came with no cover then I wonder if there is a way to make it quieter. I dont want to insulate the compartment without knowing that additional heat might be a problem down the road someday.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 05-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had the same generator on my Suncruiser, it was loud and rattled and destroyed all piece and quite. I fixed the problem by replacing the gen with a new Onan 5kw marquis gold and now I have a quite gen that I can use in campgrounds without making everyone aware of the fact my genny is running.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

What make/model is this genset?
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

ktlyford,

The genset is an Onan and according to the 2000 brochure it is a 5kw Emerald Gas generator. It runs great (only 250 hours on it) and I just had it serviced this spring.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Codgerbill
mine shook rattled and made so much noise that sitting on the opposite of the coach it would be to loud. I need to use the gen to charge a mobility scooter so it was not acceptable.
One big noise maker was the exhaust, it rattled and clanged. I did try more insulation in the generator compartment but that did little to reduce the noise.
I had the generator in for service at Onan and they were not able to reduce the noise level to a satisfactory level so I bit the bullet and had it replaced. I can not believe the difference in noise levels, we can actually sleep with it running.

good luck with your genny!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codgerbill:
ktlyford,

The genset is an Onan and according to the 2000 brochure it is a 5kw Emerald Gas generator. It runs great (only 250 hours on it) and I just had it serviced this spring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

The exact model number will allow one to view the parts list in Onans web site and verify if you simply need to order a replacement cover.

If your Emerald is an HGJAC then it you should be able order a replacement cover.

See:

http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/support/manuals

If your Emerald came with a cover then you really need to replace it as the cover is part of the cooling system not just for noise reduction. Without the cover the lifespan of the generator will be greatly reduced.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Neil & Ktlyford,

Thanks for thr replys Ktlyford and Neil, and Neil thanks for the linc to the Onan website. I will either have to go to the coach and look at the nameplate to determine the model # of the genset or perhaps try calling the help desk at Winnebago first. The noise is tolerable and the unit starts and runs great so I dont think, at this time replaceing it is a viable option. I did resecure the "tailpipe" that was just hanging down. It looked like the tail pipe on the genset mite have struck something and pulled loose of the rubber strap but it did not cause a ratteling noise. A couple of questions for ktlyford........How long ago did you replace the genset, aprox what was the cost and did you have it done at a local RV place or by a Onan dealer?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 05-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Codgerbill
My original generator did not have a cover, you opened the generator compartment door and there it was completely exposed. I replaced the generator last fall at a local RV shop and they did a great job. They put in a slide for the genset to sit on and when any service needs to be done such as oil change fuel filter etc. it pulls out for easy access. The genset itself ran $2700 for a Marquis Gold which is contained in a fully enclosed box which helps reduce noise. My old gen ran fine it was just way to loud for us and others too
There does appear to be a lack of insulation in the generator compartment, if you can work some insulation in behind the generator that may help out some.

kl