Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Main breaker tripping

I have a 2015 Itasca Sunstar 27N LX. On the last night of a 6 week trip we set up and everything was fine for about 15 minutes. The main breaker tripped. I went to the pedestal and everything was OK. I reset the breaker and we had power for about 15 minutes before it tripped again. This time I turned off the AC (only thing I turned off), reset the breaker and everything was fine for the night. I should mention that the main breaker was hot both times it tripped but not the next day. Two days later I ran the AC off the generator for 35 minutes with no problems. Breaker was not hot. Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Thanks,
Ray Blank
rhb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hey- when you say you ran off the generator you mean internal generator ?

if so:
What i’m suspecting is the cable or connection into the RV panel may be poorly seated or burnt part way.

Take off the panel where the 50A wire goes in and look, you’ll see trouble soon enough.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Could it simply be that you were on 30-amp shore power and had AC and other devices such as your converter charger maybe electric water heater asking for a total of more than 30-amps? Boom, goes the breaker.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had a similar problem on my 2015 Vista 27N. The top breaker in the breaker box was not making good connection to the bus bar inside the breaker box and it would cause the breaker to heat up whenever there was a big load flowing thru, like the AC running or the hot water heater running on electric.. The heat would cause the 30 amp breaker to trip. The ears that push over the bus bar were not making good contact causing the heating. The overheating also damaged the breaker's plastic housing making the situation worse over time.

I bought an exact replacement breaker and replaced it. This resolved the problem. It has not re-occured. The bus bar was a little discolored but I did not have to buy a whole new box housing.

Replacement Breaker on Amazon.com
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Very low voltage from the shore power pedestal, causing the AC to pull heavy current. Voltage below 100 volts from shore power maybe.

That is assuming you don't have a bad connection at the breaker as suggested by others.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote