Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Magnadyne M9900CDS Satellite antenna input

My Meridian has the Magnadyne radio with Sirius Satellite. I've got the radio out, and I am trying to find the input on the rear panel of the radio that the Satellite antenna is connected to. (At least I assume that it must be connected into the radio somehow). Can anyone tell me which cable/input connection is the Sat antenna ?
I've got the Magnadyne owners manual for the radio. It came with the coach, but almost no tech info included, and not even a diagram of the rear panel connections (grrrr !). I would trace the wiring back if I could, but those wires in there disappear into a black hole of a rats nest behind the dash.
I've googled the heck out of it, but still cannot find any info on the rear panel connections.
Thanks in advance for any help

Meurig Davies 2007 Itasca Meridian 36G
Meurigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The antenna connection on my Magnydyne looks like a "S"-video connection. It was labeled on the back of the radio. Your radion is "Sirius ready" which means you still have to subscribe and give them the ESN. My Winnebago did not come with either a Satellite(Sirius) antenna, or a CB antenna.

However, I did have a Sirius for the car and I just bought a mobile kit. I stuck the receiver on the passenger side window, DW has control, and ran a "hockey puck" antenna from the center of the dash. If you purchase the separate Sirius receiver, it comes with the hook-up kit, and an extra kit installed in the motor home gives you the versatility of switching from one vehicle to the other. The receiver just snaps out and clips into the other vehicle.

If you see just two small rubber duck type antennas on your roof, the are both for the radios, the one in the dash has it's own, and the one in the bedroom has its own. If you have a 3rd antenna it is either sat or cb.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The antenna does not connect to the radio direct, there is a Sirus Rx module located on the forward firewall and the audio and data interconnect comes through the DIN connector. There is only one so it'll be a little difficult to miss it. As for the antennas" up front there is a CB antenna whose coax is coiled up under the left footrest or it's plugged into the radio if equipped. The rubber duckie is the AM/ FM/ Wx ant. The one (or two in the rear is bedroom and outside radio antennas.

What are you trying to do?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Wayne. Yes, I have found the "S-Video" type plug on the back of the Magnadyne radio. So assuming that that is the Sat antenna cable connection, I now have to figure out how to connect that antenna cable to my portable "Sportster" radio.
My situation is that I have been using two Sat radios for a few years now, the Magnadyne in the MH, and also a small portable Sirius "Sportster" in my Toad and my pickup truck, which I just move between the two vehicles as needed. But I finally figured out that I have been needlessly paying for two Sirius subscriptions when I can get by with one, if I just rig up the small Sportster in the MH also, instead of using the Magnadyne for Sat in there.
I have about got it set up. I have mounted the small radio on the MH dash with the Sportster audio output feeding to "AUX 1" in on the Magnadyne. But the trick is to also be able to use the Sirius antenna which is already fitted to the roof of the MH, (and has been since the coach came from the factory in '07). If I can use that existing antenna, then I don't have to find a way to run that fiddly long thin cable that comes with the extra car kit, and not have to find a place to mount the new hockey puck antenna either.
But, back to the problem. I have to somehow find an adapter to get me from the "antenna in" connection on the small radio, to the "S-video" type connection on the end of the MH Sat cable. Those are two totally different type connectors......
I'll research it tomorrow. Anyone else out there already done this ???

Meurig Davies
'07 Meridian 36G
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

read my post above

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 01-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hello Jeff. My post just crossed with yours, but you should be able to tell from it what I am trying to do. You seem to be familiar with how that existing Sirius rooftop antenna is hooked in to the Magnadyne system. Any suggestions on how I can get it connected to my small portable Sportster radio ? thanks

Meurig Davies
'07 Meridian 36G
Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

read my post above

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Find the Sirius module on the firewall and unplug the antenna from that and plug into your portable.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I've got the back cover of the dash removed, I've unscrewed every screw of the front fascia of the dash that I can see, and pulled the dash panel as far forward as I can, within the limits and restraints of the instrument cables and the dash A/C and heater hoses etc, and I have the radio removed, all so that I can maybe get to this illusive Sat receiver module on or near the front bulkhead. I have my inspection lamp under there next to the accelerator pedal, along with a flashlight, and I can see small sections of the face of the bulkhead panel, in amongst the mass of cable harnesses, connectors and hoses, but I cannot see or get to anything that looks like an electrical module. I am not doubting that it is there somewhere. I have tried to trace the cable with the DIN connector on the radio end of it. Presumably it would lead me to the module, but it disappears into the mess of cable harnesses and dash A/C hoses also, and I cannot get my fingers in there. Trouble is, none of those cable harnesses and hoses etc are very flexible. No slack, bunched up, and I hate to start disconnecting stuff that I don't know what they do....
Am I missing something ? Is there an easier way ? Any knowledgeable suggestions welcome.

Meurig Davies Itasca Meridian36G
Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Ah! Now I understand. Well you do need to find the antenna lead but I doubt if it will be the same type of input as that of the Sportster. You may have to find an adapter. However, in any case you will most likely need the FM Direct Adapter.. Using an adapter will not give you a display on the radio. I think the FM Direct Adapter is the only solution, but then again I'm not a serious(Sirius) guru.

If you installed the Sportster (I have the Sportster 4 or 5) in the car(s) then you installed the FM Direct Adapter. The adapter is an antenna module where the antenna from the radio plugs into it, and the output of the Sportster plugs into it also. There is a pig tail that then plugs into the antenna jack on the radio. You have the option on the Sportster to select the output frequency. I use 88.5 fm dial and only once in all my travels did I have interference from radio stations. I was right under the tower.

The link provided shows the installation diagram and a video on it. Personally, I think it is the simplest way to go. You just need another car kit and they sell one that I think comes with the FM Direct Adapter.

Good luck - keep us posted.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I am hoping that the connector I eventually find on the end of the MH antenna cable will fit the "antenna in" mating connection on the small portable radio, but you may be right, I probably won't get that lucky.....If that's the case I hope I'll be able to find an adapter.....
Wayne, you only need the Sirius FM direct adapter if your vehicle radio does NOT have an "AUX IN" input connection. If you have an AUX IN and you plug the Sirius radio into it, then you have a clean Sat signal direct to the vehicle radio, and you don't need the adapter. The Magnadyne has two AUX IN inputs. (The connections to them are temporarily plugged off at the back of the radio). I have already connected my portable radio to the "AUX 1" connection on my Magnadyne radio. It works fine. I just press the "MODE" button on the mgnadyne until the display shows "AUX 1", and that's the Sat radio input.

All I need to do is get a Sirius antenna connected to my small portable Sportster radio. Everything else is hooked up OK

Meurig Davies '07 Meridian 36G
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Find the antenna on the roof and follow the lead down. It probably goes down one of the A pillars of the window.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Good idea. I won't be able to trace it from right at the Sirius antenna puck however, because the antenna wire is not visible at all on the roof. The wire just disappears through the fiberglass somewhere under a big bead of sealant all around the puck. But you are probably right, it probably runs down to the front bulkhead under the plastic cover of the corner window pillar on the driver's side, along with the wires from the other antennas on the roof, I would guess. I should be able to determine which one it is once I take the cover off the pillar. I'll try that. Thanks.
Unfortunately though I have not been able to do anything further on this project since early this morning, when I put my back out while contorting in the small space between the driver's seat and underneath the dash, looking for that receiver module. (ain't getting old fun ?). I've been laid up with back pain all day. Grrrr.
Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it tomorrow..... I don't usually take this long to do these little projects, and I want to get it DONE....

Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Be careful. Once when I was working under the steering wheel area, I got stuck and had to have my wife bring tools and take the drivers seat out to get out from under the dash.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurigd View Post
Good idea. I won't be able to trace it from right at the Sirius antenna puck however, because the antenna wire is not visible at all on the roof. The wire just disappears through the fiberglass somewhere under a big bead of sealant all around the puck. But you are probably right, it probably runs down to the front bulkhead under the plastic cover of the corner window pillar on the driver's side, along with the wires from the other antennas on the roof, I would guess. I should be able to determine which one it is once I take the cover off the pillar. I'll try that. Thanks.
Unfortunately though I have not been able to do anything further on this project since early this morning, when I put my back out while contorting in the small space between the driver's seat and underneath the dash, looking for that receiver module. (ain't getting old fun ?). I've been laid up with back pain all day. Grrrr.
Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it tomorrow..... I don't usually take this long to do these little projects, and I want to get it DONE....

Sorry for the late reply. We're out here in Quartzsite doing the shows and working on motorhome projects.

I haven't seen the connector in years and couldn't pick it out of the catalog if asked but know what it looks like on site.

As mentioned, it is mounted on the firewall, NOT the upper dash. The only way to get to it is laying on the floor and working your way through the wire looms to get to it. Get GOOD light, like a florescent worklight stick, and consider gloves because the looms can and will draw blood on the way in. If I remember, the box is black, ~3x3" and sez Sirus on it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 01-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

OK, the job's done. Not wanting to aggravate my back problem, today I resorted to "Plan B". I.e. rather than again squeezing into that impossible space between the driver's seat, steering column and foot pedals to try to find the module at the bulkhead, and the end of the existing antenna cable, I decided to instead use the antenna that came with the Sirius extra car kit, and forget the original antenna all together. I simply positioned the new antenna puck inside the DVR/CD changer front compartment above the driver. The roof is fiberglass, so the antenna "sees" the Sat signals right through it. It works fine. Actually, there is a false ceiling to the compartment, and by just removing two screws, it exposes the underside of the roof, and one of the cross member steel frame rails of the coach. There is just enough space between the rail and the underside of the roof to accommodate the magnet based Sirius antenna puck. I ran the antenna wire down the corner window pillar, under the plastic cover, and then into the back of the dash from there. I mounted the small portable sat radio in the space on the face of the dash just below the rear cam video display screen and above the air vents. The portable radio is wired in to AUX 1 on the Magnadyne, and so plays through the coach audio system when the Magnadyne radio is tuned to the AUX 1 mode position. Works great ! Thanks to all for the help.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

You might not be out of the woods yet. I tried that with two motor homes. Worked fine until I drove north. The on rood air conditioners blocked the signal. I thought I was home free with this motor home with basement AC. not so, some thing, probably the satellite dish blocked it in certain directions driving north. In all cases I installed marine XM antennas that didn't need a metal ground plane, never have had a problem since.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

My Aux input is on the front. I use it for the iPod when satellite is blocked. I didn't want a permanent wire mini plug sticking out in the front because of the 70# puppy. She already changes FM channels on me once in a while, turns the radio off, changes the volume. One smart puppy. I think DW puts her up to it so she can change to a channel of her liking. Two smart puppies.

Tags
antenna, satellite