Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Low Miles Concern

Looking to move up to a class A. Found a 2003 Brave with the Workhorse chassis, 8.1 Vortec, and Allison 5 speed. My concern is the coach has under 15000 miles. Can anyone provide any insight here on whether this should be a concern on this setup? I know this is a solid combination.
Pnw1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I don't think I would worry about any thing, change all the fluids and filters, check over every thing that is rubber, fill it up with fresh fuel. Manufactures quit using cork gaskets years ago so leaks shouldn't be a concern. If it was a diesel I would steer clear of it.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

How many hours on generator? Prior owner may have had a regular spot near home. 1500 miles a year allowed lubrication of most systems. Others will tell you to plan on changing the 6 tires, about $2500-3000. I had a similar situation, 2002 itasca Sunrise with 28,000 miles & 112 hours on generator. No regrets after 2 months. Do spend money for review by professional. Best wishes Dan
Old 08-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Low mileage should not be a problem. Take it out on the road and check for shimmys and wandering. Change fluids. Check the date on each tire and replace if over 7 years old regardless of the miles. Welcome to the forum.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

All above is great. The 8.1L Vortec is a great engine. I have that in my Class C and love the power. I will almost say it has original tires so plan on $3000 or so for tires. Have all fluids, belts, brakes, hoses check and/or changed. I would also have plug wires checked either by you if you have the ability or by a mechanic. I would also run the generator under a 50% load for about 10 minutes (turn on the AC).
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

All good advice above. Also make sure it had the brake caliper recall done. Plug wires are a big issue and there have been kits by the various manufacturers to alleviate the problem.

Read this thread. Workhorse Plug Wire Problems
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnw1220 View Post
Looking to move up to a class A. Found a 2003 Brave with the Workhorse chassis, 8.1 Vortec, and Allison 5 speed. My concern is the coach has under 15000 miles. Can anyone provide any insight here on whether this should be a concern on this setup? I know this is a solid combination.
Pnw1220,

When looking for used cars, we have for DECADES always looked for the lowest mileage vehicle of our choice at the time. We've owned four motor homes. Each one had low mileage and were several years old when we purchased them. Our present one, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 HP CAT, had only 40K on it when we purchased it two years ago.

Just because a vehicle/motor home has low miles on it, doesn't mean it's going to self disintegrate 10 minutes after you park it in your driveway. Todays seals, belts, hoses and a whole host of other components are made considerably better than they were in yesteryear. If, there's any form of maintenance records at all, then, take a good look at them. If not, either find a qualified tech close to you and do a good thorough check out, or, if you feel qualified to do it, then jump in there and do your best to check out as much as you can.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Check the tires! My 2006 Thor Hurricane had 9500 miles when I bought it.When getting an alignment the mechanic saw all the tires had tire rot.Had to replace all 6 for $2600rAfter threatening the dealer he put up half.
Rv artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Low mileage is not a problem. We bought a 2000 Ultimate Freedom with 23,800 miles on the odometer, and 1,080 hours on the genset. The previous owner only used it to go to NASCAR races, it then sat the weekend with the genset running. We've only driven it about 2,000 miles so far, with one problem. The air conditioner ran low on refrigerant, which is being repaired now under the extended service contract.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
I don't think I would worry about any thing, change all the fluids and filters, check over every thing that is rubber, fill it up with fresh fuel. Manufactures quit using cork gaskets years ago so leaks shouldn't be a concern. If it was a diesel I would steer clear of it.
It were a diesel I would jump all over it. Low millage is no more effect on a diesel then it is on a gas rig. Driving and engine hours is what wears on components. The lower the millage the better. Especially if it stored inside out of the sun and weather. Setting out in the elements is the worst thing on any RV. Not the lack of use but the abuse of the elements. And the biggest thing is the care and tender loving the owner has hopefully given it. Some people can tear up a anvil in a sandbox. Buyer beware!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I purchased a 2000 Winnebago about 3 years ago and it only had 25,000 Kms or approx 15,000 miles on it and I have taken it south to Arizona twice with no problems at all. It can make a real difference if the MH had sat for years parked on grass or dirt rather than asphalt or concrete. If all is clean and not rusted underneath, it should be good.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Brake Recall Resource Center

You need to have this recall done.

The main problem with the brakes were due to sitting and not being used.

If the original tires are on it you need new tires.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Smile Low mileage unit

Further to John Hilley's note about the wiring kit. Some Workhorse engines had a problem with the spark plug wires getting too hot. The end result is the wires become brittle and break. I had two separate failures with my motorhome within the first two years before I found out about the kit. Workhorse approved the installation when informed of the problem, all done on warranty.

Check the unit to ascertain whether a kit has been installed. You will notice two air ducts attached to the grill which deflect air over the hot wires in question, usually the first or second wire from the front of the engine. The kit also included eight new spark plug wires. This unit may not have a problem, ever, but if the engine starts to miss due to a broken spark plug wire, you will know what might be the cause. It is a easy fix if you can do your own minor maintenance.

Sounds like a great buy to me, good luck.

Knightly, 2007 Itasca 35A Sunrise, W24 chassis, Toad is HHR or Goldwing 1800.
Knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
It were a diesel I would jump all over it. Low millage is no more effect on a diesel then it is on a gas rig. Driving and engine hours is what wears on components. The lower the millage the better. Especially if it stored inside out of the sun and weather. Setting out in the elements is the worst thing on any RV. Not the lack of use but the abuse of the elements. And the biggest thing is the care and tender loving the owner has hopefully given it. Some people can tear up a anvil in a sandbox. Buyer beware!
"Some people can tear up an anvil in a sand box"

I just about fell off the couch on that one,
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Got It

Thanks all for your comments. We went ahead and purchased the rig. 14452 miles with dealer replacing all 6 tires with Hankook AH11's. They are checking on the recall for the brakes. It has washer/dryer combo, solar panel, and TracVision. Genset also only had 122 hours. Test drive felt real good. We are very pleased and look forward to or first MH.

Jim
Pnw1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
"Some people can tear up an anvil in a sand box"
Or he could destroy an anvil with his bare hands.

I have a friend that's that way! But he can afford it too. I can't!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

EDIT When i hit the reply button There wasen't even a 2nd page in this thread.
Didn't see you had bought it. Buy at a Dealer? If they offered you a added warranty and you turned it down You might want to gio back and get it. THey are usually good for most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post

I feel the completely the opposite. If Diesel I'd be much more inclined to buy especially when compared to a 8.1L GM engine.
If you do a search here on 8.1L failures you can see most were low mileage engines.

From another thread here:

"Any ideas what caused this to my 8.1 It was running good, just like it always did and suddenly It had this horrendous banging.

It was obvious I needed a new expensive engine so I was not interested in spending several hundred more $'s having them do an autopsy on the engine to see what caused this. GM seems to be the one who should want to know what caused their 8.1 to self destruct but the 8.1 R&D is not on their plate any more/."

and Here is another whole discussion about the 8.1 failures.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/who-h...ure-93549.html
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote