Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Drove the Journey last week from Va Bch to Lumberton NC last week and set up in Walmart. Don't remember if engine was off or on when I lowered my jacks but got a low battery warning. I think my engine was on because the jacks did go down. If not I restarted engine and jacks did go down. Anyway back on the electrical control panel the little red light was on indicating I needed to read a msg. "Battery charger over heat..." and the rest made no sense to me.

Every thing seemed to clear up but now I'm worried something not set right on the rig. I notice for exam ple that when I put the refer on auto it will flash au to ac but not LP. When all external ac off including gen set, when I press the mode button (while refer is in auto mode)it appears the refer is still working on ac from the inverter. I do not know how to tell if the LP side is running or the ac side via the inverter.

I running a little scared at the moment sice I'm in FL and home is in VA. Travel is normally one night stands at local walmart super centers along the I 95 corridor so external power souces are few and far between.

Any ideas on how to check to see if refer is not automatically switching to LP or what the draw may be on the house battiers via inverter with everyting turned off.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Drove the Journey last week from Va Bch to Lumberton NC last week and set up in Walmart. Don't remember if engine was off or on when I lowered my jacks but got a low battery warning. I think my engine was on because the jacks did go down. If not I restarted engine and jacks did go down. Anyway back on the electrical control panel the little red light was on indicating I needed to read a msg. "Battery charger over heat..." and the rest made no sense to me.

Every thing seemed to clear up but now I'm worried something not set right on the rig. I notice for exam ple that when I put the refer on auto it will flash au to ac but not LP. When all external ac off including gen set, when I press the mode button (while refer is in auto mode)it appears the refer is still working on ac from the inverter. I do not know how to tell if the LP side is running or the ac side via the inverter.

I running a little scared at the moment sice I'm in FL and home is in VA. Travel is normally one night stands at local walmart super centers along the I 95 corridor so external power souces are few and far between.

Any ideas on how to check to see if refer is not automatically switching to LP or what the draw may be on the house battiers via inverter with everyting turned off.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It seems to me that as long as there is a 110V source the refer will always use it as default. The way you can check it to see if it will switch to LP is to have no ext 110V source and turn you Inverter off. I would think you would see the refer auto to LP.
Frank
Old 07-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Look up your fridge's service manual here and go through the diagnostic procedure.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't see what coach you are referring to in your sig, but on mine, the entire coach is picked up, including the fridge by the inverter. Personally I NEVER run the fridge in auto because we dry camp all the time. I want no chance of picking up the fridge on the inverter when it's supposed to be on propane. Having no control of the ice maker is bad enough.

Two ways to check for auto:
-Put the fridge in auto (AU), and turn the inverter off with no external AC. It should switch to propane.

Test2:
-Just remove the outside service cover and pull the AC. If it doesn't switch you have a problem.

Good luck..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hope all worked out well with your refer. I agree with FrankO that 110V source will prevail over LP. Couldn't help but notice that you set up in Walmart...and lowered your jacks. Sure would hate to loose option of staying over night at Walmart along I 95.
Bill
Bill & Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Of the Walmarts I've stayed in, and talking to security at the local Super Store, there is no jack protocol, nor any for slides if you are parked properly. What they really don't want is people breaking out the BBQ, lawn chairs, etc. I saw a 3 RV family reunion (really) in the Lodi WM lot. That's a tad over the top.
Sorry...

(edit: spellin')

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote