Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lost power to entertainment switcher

I have a 2005 Journey 39F and cannot get power to the component switcher that let's you go from Cable to Satellite to Antenna, etc. It was working fine and then just stopped. Have checked every fuse panel on the rig and can't find anything. My outdoor stereo has also lost power.

HELP!
Tourman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Okay, that's a rig with lots of options and nooks and crannies to sort through so maybe some more info can cut the chase. I'm pretty well going to be hiding out for the time being and have the time so lets see what we can find.
I assume this is a 110 problem. not 12VDC? Have you done any checking to kn0ow if any other 110 items have also lost power? Notice any outlets dead or such?
I will do a bit of looking to see what might show up as a likely trouble spot.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Welcome to a new set of friends! Some things for you to consider:
- Are the things that are working all 12 volt-powered?
- Are you on shore power and have confirmed you have 30 or 50 amp as appropriate?
- Have you reset the main 120 volt breaker on your panel? Whether you use 30 or 50 amp there will be only one breaker.
- With the shore power off - and the inverter on - do you have power to any 120 volt appliances?

Start with these things and let's see what results ...
Thanks for the response.
The switcher is 12v and I think the stereo is also 12v. I have gone through everything (4 days worth) and there is not a single thing that is not working other than these two items. I've reset everything that I can reset. Tried these things on shore power, acc ignition and generator...............nothing. I tried to figure out how to attach a picture, but no joy.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

From this drawing, sheet three, it looks like this is your inside and outside entertainment section. Does that seem to match for the right front side of your rig?
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_150998.pdf

If correct, it looks like there should be two outlets dead as well as outside, with all being fed from the bedroom.
this be any help? Is the bedroom TV receptacle also dead or good there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5jounry 39F-1.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	173589   Click image for larger version

Name:	5journey detailDB.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	173590  

Old 05-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourman View Post
Thanks for the response.
The switcher is 12v and I think the stereo is also 12v. I have gone through everything (4 days worth) and there is not a single thing that is not working other than these two items. I've reset everything that I can reset. Tried these things on shore power, acc ignition and generator...............nothing. I tried to figure out how to attach a picture, but no joy.
Looks like confusion here as that post looked like it was for a different person with a different question, rather than yours.
For posting a picture we can start to clear that perhaps? Scrolling down to "manage attachments", will help for that. The picture has to be on the computer for this method.
I might double check the 110AC versus 12VDC. I would not expect a 12VDC, so might question if it is actually Dc or if it is possibly 110VAC worked through the batteries using an inverter to do the change?
Old 05-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Looks like confusion here as that post looked like it was for a different person with a different question, rather than yours.
Yes, Tourman posted a response on someone else's thread and I moved that post here. I left the quote because he had responded to it.

Here's a link to the instructions for adding a photo attachment to your post:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...st-355670.html
Old 05-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Okay , easy to lose track of where we are!
Old 05-25-2020, 05:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Here is a photo of the switcher.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1703.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	173613  

No Toad
Old 05-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

You can often look at the label on things to see what power they use or looking at the plug also works. I believe that will be just plugged into a standard oulet and be 110 AC. The drawing shows that AC come from the bedroom outlet to a connection above the fresh water tank and then a connection in a front cabinet and finally to two outlets for the component items.
I was suggesting taking something like a lamp, hair dryer, or some small item to the bedroom and testing that outlet to see if it gets to that point. If the bedroom outlet is dead, then we need to look back along the line toward where the RV is plugged in. There may be something as simple as a GFCI tripped or a fuse or breaker.
But knowing if the bedroom works is an easy way to decide which direction to go to look for the trouble.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Looking further, I see room for confusion as that line of outlets is fed from an inverter which uses batteries to change 12VDC to 110 VAC, so easy to think they are 12v components.
Next step is to assume the bedroom TV is also dead and then go look at the inverter as they tend to be funky and trip out at times.
There are several other outlets between the inverter and breakers but that would be my next place to check for power.
Yellow is the bedroom and components outlets with red being the inverter and back toward the breakers to check next if the yellow circled are dead.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inverter.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	173620  
Old 05-31-2020, 09:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have that same switch box in my Journey. I have always though it was a mechanical switch.
Are you sure there is any power going to it?

dick
Old 05-31-2020, 11:28 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourman View Post
Here is a photo of the switcher.
Wow. That’s quite the switcher. Does it also have a fuse or breaker that could be tripped in the back of it?
Old 06-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The bedroom TV has power, but I have a GFI that keeps tripping and I've gotten a nice jolt on a few parts of the chassis. The RV repair guy thinks I have a bad ground creating all of these problems. Wish me luck trying to remedy this, I know nothing about electrical.

No Toad
Old 06-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

A GFCI that keeps tripping is something that needs quick attention as it does say something is wrong, for sure. Not sure about the bad ground idea but it is time to let them think it over.
Normally what trips a GFCI is there is a "leak" from the hot side of the line. But testing will be quite easy to find the problem. Finding it may be much more difficult, thought as it can be something like a wire rubbed bare and fining exactly where is a problem.
This can be where we find out if the tech is an actual tech or just a guy who tries to fix things!
Best of luck to you and please let us know what he finds.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Yes, if you look at the photo, the first button is power on/off.

No Toad
Old 06-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all of your advice. I've given up and called the Freightliner mobile repair guy. Luckily he's going to fit me in tomorrow as he thinks it's a quick fix..............famous last words.

No Toad
Old 06-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I see the switch you mena. One first step might be to go around to the various outlets that are on the inverter, like the two at the video switcher and the bedroom TV and unplug any AC cords to get them out of the question and then try resetting the GFCI.
The idea of the GFCI is to watch for any "leaks" of power that you might get shocked by and turn off the power really quickly enough to stop you from being harmed.
So if there was some problem in the video or the bedroom TV, it might make the GFCI turn the power off.
So getting all those portable things unplugged will let you see if the problem was in them or in the RV wiring itself.
You have the problem narrowed way down if it is the GFCI tripping that turns off the power to the Video switch as there are only the two outlets there and one in the bedroom on that section of wire.
I see mention of getting shocked at the video switch, so that might be a clue where the problem is. Perhaps just a frayed cord, etc???
Old 06-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

That's the "BOMB" - Box Of Many Buttons. They are notorious for losing their 12VDC side. No real replacement is easily found. I had to resort to some redneck engineering to get our entertainment system working again. We have an in-motion satellite system, but we don't use it. We get our TV from OTA. The Winegard amplified antenna needs 12VDC feed from the BOMB. When ours went out, I just happened to find an external 20dB antenna amplifier at a garage sale. I used the 12VDC power injector to feed our antenna's amplifier circuit, a signal splitter to split the output from the antenna, and then used A-B switches for each TV (front/rear) to allow selection for TV ANT/Cable for each TV independently. It's not very messy looking. The cable joiners (splitters in reverse) are behind the panel where the BOMB was, and the two A-B switches are mounted flush to the panel cover.

It probably isn't the cause for your AC GFCI tripping - it is fed from the house batteries directly. But for those of you that have a "BOMB", just be warned that they fail on the DC side quite frequently.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:59 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

It doesn't that was the first thing that I checked.

No Toad
Old 06-02-2020, 03:04 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

It appears to have been narrowed down to a chassis ground failure. That makes sense as I have gotten jolted twice in different areas of the body. Once at the entry door of the rig and once in one of the rear storage bays...........nothing serious, just an attention getting tingle. Freightliner mechanic arriving today for a look.

No Toad

Tags
power, switch