Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 06:00 PM   #1
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Looking to find out where they hid the wires

Hello all

I have a 2008 sightseer 29r. Two of the interior lights above the couch stopped working one day. I dont know when but they were working at one time. Today I thought Id spend some time going through the electrical drawings and figure out how to fix this. But it didn't work and yes, i checked the fuses before starting this endevour.

I've found the right page and can see where the connections should be and what they are connected to. For instance, the hood fan and hood light work. They are on the same circuit.

I think there has to be a connector that has loosened. I pulled the microwave but the only connector i found was from the main line (the line going past to the reading lamps) to the hood fan. (maybe i should have pulled on the wires to see if its hidden inside the hole.)

There isnt any wiring inside the cabinet above the lights.

So my question is, if anyone has had this problem or had the wall apart and found where there might be a hidden two wire connector.

Attached are the pages that show the lighting wiring diagram and the pictorial showing the two lights over the couch and the location of the 2 wire connector that I cant seem to find.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Problem lighting question.pdf (222.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It really looks like you have done a good job sorting out the correct info and I can't help on having worked on this model, so maybe a couple questions to point out other thoughts might help?

These appear to have switches on each light and that would seem to make a switch problem less likely but have you done any testing on the wiring at the bulbholders, in case you might be dealing with two bad bulbs? If it's not something you use often two bulbs does happen at times, so might be something to check to avoid lots of other checking?

Maybe verify that the contacts in the holder are not corroded to cause a problem? A meter to show you have both battery and ground is a good item to have as a missing ground can kill the deal as quick as missing battery!

I might see it a bit different, so give this some thought, maybe?
I see a different circuit for the range hood??? What I see is on this snip so give it a click to get a better view to see what I'm finding? Maybe I jumped the track along the way!

Did you get where the lights plug into the two wire connector and then into the four wire connection under the couch? I might want to check battery and ground leaving the four wire connector if handy to get to it and then move on toward the lights?

If you find labels on the wire sides, they may help ID using this chart.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	180954   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire id copy.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	180955  

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:52 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have found out that RV manufacturers may use the same wiring harnesses in different models of RV. A 32 foot model may have the same harness as a 35 foot model. It cuts down on the number of different components in inventory. This can result in excess wiring being hidden in the walls and makes it impossible to know specifically where connectors are located. I had a six pin connector with an intermittent contact due to corrosion. It took 7 hours troubleshooting and 3 calls to Winnebago tech support to locate the connector. It was laying on top of the fresh water tank and got drenched every time the tank was over filled. After it corroded, the pins had contact only when wet. When dry the corrosion became nonconductive. In humid weather, condensation on the outside of the tank kept the connector damp. In dry weather, no condensation, so no connection. There was enough excess wire in the harness to move the connector away from the water tank, once the pins were replaced.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

ll the contacts are good visually. No curosion and i know at least one of the fictures and both bulbs are good.

I think you might be right Re: the ccts for hte hood fan and the lights. When i read it it looks like there is a connecter either in the "Base of front left overhead" or "front left overhead cabinet". It does say under the couch so Ill take a look there and maybe pull on some of the wire within the walls. Definitly lrearning more on how to read their drawings. I'm an electrician and I got a say, there system really throws me off. Lots of text.

Maybe this being a 29' vs a 30 or 32' there is extra wire in there.

Ill also check the wire lables if i dont find the connectors.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

I thought i had it

I looked under th couch and didnt find any wiring. So i looked under the stove beside the couch. Low and behold a disconnectged two wire plug. But, with a third taped to it.

I had a gas line to the stove replaced a year or so ago. I had connected the event to a possible cause for the lights not working but really dont know when they stopped working.

So i pull the wire out and searched for the other end. Nothing there.

I put a meter to the lines and found no power and all had a connection to ground. Could be reading through a lite to ground. But, i checked hte wire labels and found CN, CM and CP. These equate to inverter lines.

When i looked up the inverster, which wasn't installed at the factory as far as I know, drawings it appers to be under the kitchen sink.

The plot deepens.

BTW, the inverter shows as 300 watt. That would be useless. I've installed a 3000w and cant understand why a 300w. It does look like its made for the tv so I guess it could power one (unless it was a CRT type) easily nough but not much else.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

YUP! Got to agree that Winnebago drawings are totally different than others that I've looked at. Maybe some help would be to check on this page for some hints on what they mean to do:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...agram/Help.pdf

But if you get into looked at them a lot, you are likely to find there are some real big things missing or left off. And some of those things they leave off make it really, really hard for new folks to figure what they are saying.

Example of things to watch out for when trying to read the drawings is that there are lots of mistakes and this part where you are looking has one. If you look for where the other plug is on the drawings, it shows at A3 but it is really found at more like A5, so you have to be alert and look around to find where they really mean?

And there are lots of things on the drawings that they leave off if it is where the coach/RV items may get power from the start/ chassis section. They consider what they add but often don't show the part that is installed by the chassis folks. Just leave it blank !

One big place wherer that often happens is on the mode solenoid that connects the two battery groups together at different times like when we want to get some charge into the coach battery as we drive. The mode solenoid has a connection that is hot when the engine is running and it pulls the solenoid to close a big contact between the start and coach batteries-----but they don't show the start nor the coach batteries on that part of the drawing for your RV. Sometimes they show the coach batteries real clear but leave off the start battery or just show a wire going to an "isolated stud". That isolated stud also has a battery cable from the start battery but they don't tell us that!

Then the wire code on the drawings can be hard to figure because it might be the wire color if it is something like "red, blk, etc." If you see 6 blk, don't try to look for the code as that is a number 6 black wire!

A 300 watt inverter is what they used to add but now if they do an inverter it may be bigger as they found out we want more power than 300 watt. Maybe it was to run a phone charger??
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote