Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Long time dilemma Dish vs Direct

I know that this discussion has been going ond......forever.
Bot I have comcast at home, a king dome (2008) on my MH and would like something better than whatever the current rv park has.
So what are my options? I have been told that I could get the King dome re-programmed for dish or vice--versa.
We are leaving in a few weeks for 4-6 weeks and would like something better than the rabbit ears.
Thanks for your patience nd understanding
The Toads
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I went with DISH because they let me suspend service when I'm to using the MH. DISH seems to be a bit more RV friendly. Sometimes their normal customer service isn't on top of RV issues, but you can ask to be connected to a rep that handles RV issues.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I've had both, Direct TV you only need one feed horn to receive ; however you will NOT receive HD, must have multiple feed horns in touch with several SATs at once. Dish lets you receive HD on one SAT but not all channels on just the one. Also Dish lets you stop service when you want to for RV's. King Dome can be reprogram via special reprogramer, buy it from them for about $300. All will cost you, if you change to Traveler antenna but when you do its a Done Deal no going back unless you add both and no In-Motion with the Traveler.
Good luck
Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToads View Post
Bot I have comcast at home, a king dome (2008) on my MH and would like something better than whatever the current rv park has.
So what are my options?
Dish Network is the only service that has a pay-as-you-go plan, so if you want to pay for satellite TV service for only the months you are RVing, it's your only choice.

With the dome, you will not be able to watch different programming on two different TVs unless the programming is on the same satellite (since a dome "sees" only one satellite at a time). However, it will work just fine for one TV and will automatically switch satellites based on the channel you select.

And, yes, the King Dome can be reprogrammed for either DirecTV or Dish Network. It will require going someplace that has the programmer.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

DirecTV will also suspend your service anytime you want to. We suspended service on the motorhome many times in the past. However we now also have it at our stick house so there isn't much advantage to do so. If you have it both places the stick house is charged for the standard service and it costs an additional $5.00 per month for the motorhome. Since we use the motorhome regularly it's more of a pain to call to disconnect and reconnect than it's worth.

Also another vote for the Winegard Trav'ler if you currently don't have the dome. everyone we know who's had a dish has switched over. The small reflector on the dome makes finding satellites a real pain unless there's a totally unobstructed view. Any little branch or twig in the way seems to cause problem.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

they both have plus and minus. Tried both and have gone back to crank up TV antenna. Being camping I can for one go without either dish or dish network. Camping it, roughing it! Ever see a cowboy camping out west with a antenna mounted to his saddle horn? Me either! Some how the camping setting seems more like camping without the need of the TV. the campfire more appealing. safe travels (while I tell the jerk on the side of me to turn the volume down on his outdoor TV with the blanking boom bar box)
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Key word: Kingdome

Kingdome has several models, Some can be re-programmed for Dish or Direct, not sure of all. Some can do two Dish birds, some 3, some under automatic (Receiver) control, some manual only.. Now read on,, This is DOMES 101

DirecTV is dome compatable, 1 or more receivers (If the dome is a "Dual" which means dual OUTPUTS, not 2 LNB, 2 LNB's is a TWIN and there are no TWIN domes). HOWEVER no dome can do DirecHDTV.

Dishnetwork, some domes do one bird at a time under manual control, and can see 2 or all 3 birds (actually there are six but you only use 3).. Some can see 2 or 3 depending on the model under RECEIVER control.

Domes that can see all 3, can do both SD and HD. HOWEVER>.. The catch.

ONLY ONE RECEIVER may be used at a time,,, That is unless all receivers are needing the same satellite (Bird) so if you want to watch a show on say 110, and spouse wants one on 119.. One of you is not going to be happy.

Rooftop domes also do not do well when parked under the Evil Signal Eating Tree. (They do not work at all under said tree) So you need a ground mount option.

DISH type antennas, .... You get the dish that matches your service and once properly set up and aimed it works... Period.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I use the crankup Winegard Batwing. More channels than I care to watch. Hooked into campground Wifi your BlueRay Player, Laptop PC or Computer Tablet will also get plenty of independant film, documentary, sports, music, etc, etc, etc.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have a cable bundle at the studs and stucco house..SAT and cellular cannot touch that service and price.

So, just for the RV...Campground cable and over the air broadcast TV leaves a lot to be desired...and good luck with campground WiFi for streaming movies and video content -has never worked for us, and we have tried.
Finally, 3G/4G is good but gets expensive when buying blocks of data when using it for streaming video plus there are still large gaps in coverage out west.

So, the cheapest and easiest SAT is Dish pay as you go....there is no contract and can be suspended and resumed at will...Direct will let you suspend - which extends the contract.
We used the original rooftop dish for just over 1 year, then gave-up and got a portable due to having trees often blocking the southern sky from our camp spots.

And here is a trick...
We did not realize that getting a receiver and portable dish at the same purchase can be discounted compared to buying separately...so if I could start over, I would buy the full set-up (receiver and portable dish )in the first place. That would have saved us over $100.

So, it's Dish ViP-211k, our original rooftop dish, a Tailgater, and an external hard drive to make the 211k work as a DVR.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Guess it depends on your wants and desires. Not enough here to warrant dropping an extra dime on annything beside the free over the air signals. Don't have cable or satellite dish at home and life goes on just fine without the extra $1,000, $2,000 or more in annual costs for a subscription.

My cellphone is a family plan with unlimited data for a very low fixed price so usage does not change that and a $25 Hawlings Parabolic wifi antenna usually streams fast enough from campground wifi to make it workable (just line it up with the closest wifi repeater and its fine).

Is there a TvHolics Anonymous group out there?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

For Long stays or convenience

We have a dome and Dish. We submitted the RV waiver form to allow us to receive both east and west coast network broadcasts. The time differential for network broadcasts allow us flexibility to see favorite shows.

We are on the road for extended periods and really appreciate the ability to watch when we want not just whatever the local TV mmight be or maybe what may be available at a campground.

Yes, it is not camping it is enjoying the good life if we want or not!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSouthw524 View Post
We have a dome and Dish. We submitted the RV waiver form to allow us to receive both east and west coast network broadcasts.
Just an FYI: You cannot get East Coast/West Coast (DNS) directly from Dish. You must go through a 3rd-party company, All American Direct, and the channels are only in SD.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

No HD for Dish in the east.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
No HD for Dish in the east.
we are currently in S Carolina and we are getting HD channels on our Dish Tailgater with no problems. It's only in the extreme Northeast states that satellite 129 is below the horizon.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Key word: Kingdome

Kingdome has several models, Some can be re-programmed for Dish or Direct, not sure of all. Some can do two Dish birds, some 3, some under automatic (Receiver) control, some manual only.. Now read on,, This is DOMES 101

DirecTV is dome compatable, 1 or more receivers (If the dome is a "Dual" which means dual OUTPUTS, not 2 LNB, 2 LNB's is a TWIN and there are no TWIN domes). HOWEVER no dome can do DirecHDTV.

Dishnetwork, some domes do one bird at a time under manual control, and can see 2 or all 3 birds (actually there are six but you only use 3).. Some can see 2 or 3 depending on the model under RECEIVER control.

Domes that can see all 3, can do both SD and HD. HOWEVER>.. The catch.

ONLY ONE RECEIVER may be used at a time,,, That is unless all receivers are needing the same satellite (Bird) so if you want to watch a show on say 110, and spouse wants one on 119.. One of you is not going to be happy.

Rooftop domes also do not do well when parked under the Evil Signal Eating Tree. (They do not work at all under said tree) So you need a ground mount option.

DISH type antennas, .... You get the dish that matches your service and once properly set up and aimed it works... Period.
wa8yxm, you have a lot of knowledge on this topic and I'm still trying to learn, so maybe you can help me. I just bought a used 2013 Tour with in-motion King Dome, and dual (not sure if it is output or lines or if I can watch 2 different shows at the same time. The Dome does go to a HDMI box that appears to support 4 TV's. The dealer said the previous owner had it set up for Dish. Is there anyway to verify how it is configured other than just getting a Dish receiver to see if it works? Also, my friend has a Dish receiver in her house. Would the home Dish Box be compatible with the Dome or does Dish only offer certain boxes for RVer's. Thanks Mark
marco1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

First, let me say, I have never had DISH and I have been a DirecTv subscriber for almost 20 years. Having said that, when I purchased my new motorhome, the only choice for me was DirecTv.

After doing research, the only DirecTV capable HD satellite is the Winegard Trav'ler. This is NOT a dome style satellite. They have a couple different models, but the newest model is the SK-SWM3. This has a single LBN and is capable of getting all HD channels at the same time. Although there is no in-motion capability, this model will automatically acquire the appropriate satellites once you are parked. Takes about 5-7 minutes for the system to acquire the satellites. I am very pleased with this system, but it is not cheap. Hardware is about $1800 not including the cost of installation.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

If your Dome is setup for Dish then yes, any active Dish receiver should work. Now as far as output, it may have 2 independent lines and each one will require a SAT box. As far as your HDMI switch box it only switches the inputs to the outputs, in other words it allows you to select what you are sending to that particular TV, ie SAT, Cable, Over the Air, DVD Player.
Most King Dome can be reprogramed at a cost to you. I have bought the programmer from King Dome to reprogram my previous antenna. It was about $200. Your other options would be to have them install a Traveler antenna for which ever Dish or Direct TV you want to use. These get much better reception but are not In-motion capable. No matter what you do, you will require at least 2 boxes to watch different channels on the Bedroom TV from the living room TV over Satellite. If you are only going to watch the exact same thing on all TV's then one box will do.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
we are currently in S Carolina and we are getting HD channels on our Dish Tailgater with no problems. It's only in the extreme Northeast states that satellite 129 is below the horizon.
I was not clear enough. If you check their map, New England, New York and other Northern states are blacked out. You are in the South.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

You just have to know your system. They are both a Pia. The people you deal with do not know your rig any better than the technicians that charge $140./hr
Dish is more RV friendly and you can get get hd. BUT any twig between you and anywhere..... Most camp grounds are giddy about their trees. The coach has to be LEVEL for hd reception Because there is now a scew(?) angle involved. With either system you have to subscribe to a different subsystem (DNS) to get network channels because you do not always get local channels. They always have a start up fee. The dish 211 receiver picks up local channels through the batwing but only if you get a sat signal.

Direct is the easiest to set up and the most expensive. Still you need Distant Network Service outside your local area.

I have a hard time understanding the whole antennae programming thing because mine just switches over between the two systems depending on witch one I have plugged in. I use my home Direct system in the summer in Michigan and in Winter I use a Dish 211 with All American Direct Distant Network. All that just works with a KVH dome. (I love you Fleetwood)
Old 01-03-2014, 03:45 AM   #20

We have dish in our house. when we travel i just move the reciever to the motorhome. we have dish. and the motorhome has a dish on it. with 2 eyes but needs only one wire.. This works well for us.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish