Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2021, 05:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Loft bed won’t lower

Hello, Winnebago itasca viva 23l. My loft bed that I use for storage will not lower. Lowered it a few minutes ago to remove something and then raised it and all worked fine. Remembered something else I wanted to get and will not move. I can tell there is power to the switch because it will try to raise because I can here it “click” but nothing when I press the toggle to lower
Any ideas? Thanks!
JohnW2837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:31 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi John,
Does your bed only deploy when the parking brake is engaged? Perhaps the engine was running when you tried to lower it? When it retracts but does not deploy, it sounds like a safety interlock issue.
Eagle5
Old 08-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Eagle5, tried it but doesn’t work. An additional question, does anyone know if there is a way to manually lower?
Old 08-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi John,
I just looked at the Operator's Manual for your rig, and there is an admonition on page 9-4 to not use the bed for storage. Perhaps when the bed is in the fully-lowered position, it rests on stops, which preclude the lowering mechanism from being overloaded. Could the gearing for lowering the bed now be slightly bent? Sadly, I'm not finding anything about manually lowering the bed.
Eagle5
Old 08-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #5
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

JohnW2837

I can’t speak directly about your bed but on mine the powered overhead bunk has an access panel on the bottom of the bed, directly over the drivers seat. To manually raise ( and I’m making an assumption here) or lower the bed you remove the access panel and crank the bed down with the supplied tool, which should be in your black Winnebago accordion file.
Try looking up instructions on manual operation in your coach manual.

Good luck
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. I never considered the possibility of an issue with using for storage since all that is up there are 2 chairs and a small screen canopy, maybe 20 lbs max. Didn’t read the warning in the manual either but I probably would have ignored it which is proving to be not that smart. Unfortunately the manual is lacking in details of the workings and wiring.

On a cross country trip and unable to access our outdoor chairs. Guess I should look at the bright side. At least the bed is up and won’t lower which is much better than lowered and not able to raise 😀
Old 09-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Issue resolved! I removed the switch for the bed and saw that it had become unplugged. I recently had a solar control panel installed which required the removal of the microwave and evidently when it was put back in the wiring for the loft bed caught on the microwave was loosened and my repeated using the switch caused it to become totally separated. Should have been the first thing i checked i suppose.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Super - Glad you found the problem!
Eagle5