Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Location for converter/charger

OK. I am looking at upgrading my converter to a PowerMax. I have looking in my parts manual and I am still kinda wondering just where the existing converter/charger is located on my 38T. Is it in the left outside compartment by the entry door or inside. Anyone have a helpful idea. Thanks.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Not sure about your MH but usually they are on the inside, look for a panel near the floor that is louvered, usually behind it...
Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

So OK it found it inside behind my largest drawer under the stove. It is a Parallex Power 55 amp supply and most likely could be the source of my house batteries cooking off all their fluids. I am thinking that a change out to the latest PowerMax PM4B-60, 60 amp 4 stage converter/charger.
So next question ANYONE else done this switch? How was it?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I am thinking about the same thing, the converter in our MH does not have a smart charger and will "cook" the batteries too. And it would be nice to have something that keeps the chassis battery charged too.What I do now is only plug in to our home power for a short time and then disconnect and shut off house/chassis batteries....I do have to keep an eye on the fluids in the batteries though.
From what I have read, it is not all that complicated but have not had the nerve to tackle it yet...:(
Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I hear ya Gary. I am looking at a pair of Lifeline AGM's, maintenance free to replace my old house batteries that I just added like a gallon of distilled water too, after a winter of sitting. Most likely these are really comprised now. No sense to get a new battery if my charger is going to cook off the next set. Replace the charger also. Seen good reviews on the PowerMax, but looking for someone else to comment some.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I swapped mine for a Progressive Dynamics PD9270. Just swap the cables, about 10 minutes.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I swapped mine for a Progressive Dynamics PD9270. Just swap the cables, about 10 minutes.
When I put in my PD 9260, I increased the cable size and changed the circuit breaker as I thought that a 55 amp circuit breaker was a poor match for a 60 amp charger. I probably could have gotten away with it but chose to be paranoid.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Bruceh, thanks for the reply...but what wire cable did you change. I took a look at my cable and it is really big. Plus the difference between 55 & 60 is not that great that the advise I have seen is that it is OK to swap out with no problems.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Bruceh, thanks for the reply...but what wire cable did you change. I took a look at my cable and it is really big.
I went from #6 to #4 partly for the increased capacity/lower voltage drop and the fact that the #6 seemed to go all over the place. I measured a .5 voltage drop from one end to the other under heavy load. I went from the the on/off relay to the breaker to the converter with #4. I also changed the ground wire from the converter, it is a circuit and things should match. The wire from the battery to the on/off relay was plenty big, #0 as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Plus the difference between 55 & 60 is not that great that the advise I have seen is that it is OK to swap out with no problems.
Again, paranoia/excessive caution. I probably could have gotten away with the 55 but chose to take no chances. I have seen charging @ 60 amps for about an hour after running the batteries pretty hard. I have a shunt ammeter on the batteries so that I can really track things.

My original converter was 45 amps.

I really don't want to be somewhere and have a problem.