Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Li-BIM help request

I have a Vista 29VE (Ford F53 chassis) and am replacing the OEM batteries with Battle Born LiFe2 batteries. I am also replacing the OEM battery connector solenoid with a Li-BIM 225, as recommended by Battle Born. Yes, I know how the BIM is supposed to work. My question is where to find the starter/ignition wire from the engine that should connect to the Ign post on the BIM. I have scoured Winnebago's wiring diagrams and just can't find the ignition wire near or on the solenoid (maybe wire WH on the circuit breaker panel?). The house and chassis battery cables will go to the appropriate posts on the BIM. The ground wire (FM in Winnebago's wiring diagram) will connect to the the Gnd post. The Auxiliary start switch wire (LR in Winn's wiring diagram) will go to the Sig post. I can't find a starter wire! Someone else posted in 2018 that he spliced his starter wire to connect to both the Ign and Sig posts, but he had a different wiring setup on his OEM solenoid, so I'm not sure that's the right answer for my situation. Any insight would be welcome.
MdMoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdMoran View Post
I have a Vista 29VE (Ford F53 chassis) and am replacing the OEM batteries with Battle Born LiFe2 batteries. I am also replacing the OEM battery connector solenoid with a Li-BIM 225, as recommended by Battle Born. Yes, I know how the BIM is supposed to work. My question is where to find the starter/ignition wire from the engine that should connect to the Ign post on the BIM. I have scoured Winnebago's wiring diagrams and just can't find the ignition wire near or on the solenoid (maybe wire WH on the circuit breaker panel?). The house and chassis battery cables will go to the appropriate posts on the BIM. The ground wire (FM in Winnebago's wiring diagram) will connect to the the Gnd post. The Auxiliary start switch wire (LR in Winn's wiring diagram) will go to the Sig post. I can't find a starter wire! Someone else posted in 2018 that he spliced his starter wire to connect to both the Ign and Sig posts, but he had a different wiring setup on his OEM solenoid, so I'm not sure that's the right answer for my situation. Any insight would be welcome.
I can not answer your question but I have a question for you.

What is the amp output of your alternator? I ask because when I spoke with the tech at Battle Born about using a BIM instead of a DC-DC charger he specifically told me that if my alternator output was high (he mentioned 180 amps but did not say that was the threshold) I should not use a BIM but a DC-DC charger instead. He said that the BIM was old technology and not up to the demands for new vehicles.

I am not questioning your decision about the BIM. If BB told you to use one I assume they know what they are talking about, but I am curious because I was told that the output of my alternator (rated at 210 amps) was too much for a BIM. I sometimes wonder if the tech I spoke with was more interested in selling me a higher priced device than the BIM or if it (the BIM) was just not up to the job.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I also have a Vista 29VE and have been working on installing two Battle Born batteries. I think that the starter/ignition wire is combined with the auxiliary start switch wire when it hits the solenoid. This is the yellow wire shown in the picture. I put a voltage meter on this wire and got 12 volts when either the engine is running, or when the auxiliary start switch is pressed. I would love to know where they are combined but it happens outside the box where the solenoid is located. I am looking at replacing the solenoid with a Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC to DC charger. I looked at the Li-BIM 225 but not sure if it is the right fit for the alternator. The DC to DC charger seams like a safer way to go. Still up in the air on this. If you end up using the Li-BIM 225 please post how that goes. Where are you putting the new batteries? For now I was able to fit them into the space under the stairs. This is not a great place if traveling in cold weather, but right now I am only planning on RVing in moderate temperatures. Thinking about someday moving them to the other side and putting them under the box where the solenoid is since half the wire needed is already there. I also bought the pendent for the shore power converter so that I can top off the batteries when needed. If you have solar you may also need to replace the charge controller. My charge controller would only bring my new batteries to around 60% charge.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7346.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	174151

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7399.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	174152
Jimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

@MdMoran did you figure out a solution that worked?
Thanks.
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote