Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Let's Play Hide the Converter...

Recently experienced problems with our house power when unplugged, which was traced back to the house contactor not always fully closing. As a result, 12VDC batteries we not being connected to the house loads. A couple of cycles of the switch, and power was restored.
In the process of fault finding, tried in vain to locate the convertor. Although the problem was fixed, I now am on a mission to find that beast. Not in the location prescribed by the manual, not in the galley, not found in battery compartment or lockers.
Found the inverter, but not the converter.
Any ideas?
NOBGHURI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Which Winnie do you have to start with?
Gene36542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sorry,
Thought that would show up in my profile.
It's a 2011 Vista 35F. According to the schematic (174631 pg4), it is somewhere around the DVD table in the main entertainment area.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
Just Trying to Help

NOBGHURI-

I believe it's under the fridge. See this post, in a thread for a converter replacement in a 2012 Vista 35F.

Note: If a coach has an inverter that also charges, there is often no converter-charger. If a coach has an inverter that only inverts, then there is likely a converter-charger.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBGHURI View Post
Sorry,
Thought that would show up in my profile.
It's a 2011 Vista 35F. According to the schematic (174631 pg4), it is somewhere around the DVD table in the main entertainment area.
I can't get the 2011 diagrams to download but I did take a look at the 2012 wiring diagrams. The way I see it is that it is below that small table and behind the doors (entertainment area?). It is mounted on a wall and you may have to get to it from the backside, from the bathroom maybe? It is plugged into a 110v outlet in that area.

Is there a back wall in the entertainment area (I'm taking that to be the area behind the doors) that can be removed to gain access behind the entertainment area?
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:39 AM   #6
Just Trying to Help

Here is the link to what I believe is the correct drawing:
Body, 12V Wiring Installation , accessed from
2011 Vista/Sunstar E35F Wiring Diagram Book, accessed from
Winnebago Wiring Diagrams

Looking at the installation drawing, sheet 7 (page 8 of the PDF document) shows a converter mounted under the refrigerator in "View DB." That would put it behind the electrical center. This is where the owner of a 2012 Vista 35F (per the link in my post #4) found his. When he removed the drawer beneath the oven he was able to see the converter.

As always, "your mileage may vary."
Old 03-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Here is the link to what I believe is the correct drawing:
Body, 12V Wiring Installation , accessed from
2011 Vista/Sunstar E35F Wiring Diagram Book, accessed from
Winnebago Wiring Diagrams

Looking at the installation drawing, sheet 7 (page 8 of the PDF document) shows a converter mounted under the refrigerator in "View DB." That would put it behind the electrical center. This is where the owner of a 2012 Vista 35F (per the link in my post #4) found his. When he removed the drawer beneath the oven he was able to see the converter.

As always, "your mileage may vary."
I agree with your assessment. The 2012 diagrams that I had to use are not as clear as the 2011 diagrams that you provided. In your 2011 diagrams the coils on the back of the refrigerator are clearly shown which gives a good point of reference.

For some odd reason, I cannot get access to any of the 2011 diagrams but the 2012 diagrams are accessible.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Find the Converter; Continued

I've attached the 2011 wiring diagrams. Hope they are helpful to others.
Alas, the file is mysteriously missing PDF page 8. Page 4 shows the converter in the cabinet above the DVD table, and refers to detail CC, showing the connections and mounting. But note 5 refers to Detail GB. Perhaps on the missing page 8?
I plan to pull the AC breaker panel under the fridge today, and will post the result.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Find the Converter: More

My attachment did not seem to come through, so here is the link.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_174631.pdf
Old 03-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBGHURI View Post
I've attached the 2011 wiring diagrams. Hope they are helpful to others.
Alas, the file is mysteriously missing PDF page 8. Page 4 shows the converter in the cabinet above the DVD table, and refers to detail CC, showing the connections and mounting. But note 5 refers to Detail GB. Perhaps on the missing page 8?
I plan to pull the AC breaker panel under the fridge today, and will post the result.
l1v3fr33ord1 has posted the link to the correct diagrams in his post above. The location of the converter is shown on sheet 7 of Part No. 173631.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Vista 35F converter location.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	169316  
Old 03-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Converter Findings

Removed the AC cover and distribution box below the fridge, and there on the aft bulkhead is the converter.
Thanks to all for your efforts and support.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem but with a 2013 Vista 27N, can't find the converter. I thought that the converter/charger was a multi stage variety but I still managed to boiled out both 12 volt house batteries (I know I should have checked the batteries more than I did but life happens). Having read everything I could find and finding out that the stock converter is single stage, I now want to replace whatever make that's stock with a Progressive Dynamics 9270 but can't find the location of the converter. I looked at the wiring diagrams and could not find anything labelled as a converter or charger. I did see something call a load center that is either in the passenger side bedroom closet or under the bed, can't tell. If anyone knows where the converter is or has replaced the stock converter with a smart one any help would be greatly appreciated
Devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
Just Trying to Help

Devilsquid-

If you remove the brown outer cover from the power center, you should find the converter mounted in the bottom section, below the 120V breakers and the 12V fuses.

You can buy Progressive Dynamics conversion kits for Magnetek/Parallax converters from bestconverters.com (link here). There's an "Installation Photos" link on that page.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

It’s under the bed on the right side. I believe there is a thin plywood cover you must remove. I was looking to do that when we had our 27N, but Unfortunately it’s built onto the back side of the power center, so I don’t think it will be an easy conversion.

David
2017 SunStar30T
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

l1v3fr33ord1 and dwaugh10 thanks for the great information. I'm sorry to hear that replacing the stock converter with a smarter one will not be a "plug and play that I hoped it would be". You have to wonder why they combined the converter and power center into one unit. When, not if, stuff breaks or we want to upgrade the combined unit just makes it difficult. I'll take a look at the links you provided to see if there is an easier way to accomplish what I want to do. I just replaced the 12 volt Marine/Deep Cycle batteries that was in the coach when we bought it with a pair of Interstate GC2 6 volts. Thanks
Old 04-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I did a little more digging and found links on other forums that describes converting from a Schumacher to a Progressive converter. Apparently having the converter attached is not the problem I thought it would be unless you do not have enough space near the control center. The short of it is that you disconnect the Schumacher, leaving it in place, and then connect the new converter into the same places that the Schumacher was connected to. For the AC connection you will have to install a 3 prong receptacle since the Progressive comes with a plug. My wife will be happy that I won't have to return the new converter (PD 9270) that I already bought.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

DevilSquid,

I may be crazy, but I think it is a stand alone box under the bed.

Tip up the bed, on the right side you will find a plywood box. Take out the four screws on the lid of the plywood box. It is in there. It is a stand alone component and easy to replace.

It is surprisingly small - maybe 6 inches square. Mine is marked "Intellpower" from Progressive Dynamics - but mine model is 2014, and Winnebago may have upgraded the unit.

It's a very good three stage converter, and takes good care of my batteries...

It is PD9245C and I recommend it.

Tags
converter